Danny O'Brien Retired - Lions Will Have New Backup

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

I was looking at Farhan L twitter account and came across that O'Brien has been added to the retired list and is looking to be a QB coach either in CFL or US college ranks. Lions will have a new backup next season.

Also read Kevin Glenn is being looked at to be a QB coach for Ottawa or Montreal.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

O'Brien will be a good coach but I'd be hiring Kevin Glenn at the top of the list.

Never could figure how Damon Allen has not been a QB coach or OC as he's another like Kevin Glenn who know how the position is played.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:26 am
O'Brien will be a good coach but I'd be hiring Kevin Glenn at the top of the list.

Never could figure how Damon Allen has not been a QB coach or OC as he's another like Kevin Glenn who know how the position is played.
As a player, Damon Allen was not the mentoring type and imo, even though he has apparently expressed an interest in being a OC, he has been out of football too long.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:

As a player, Damon Allen was not the mentoring type and imo, even though he has apparently expressed an interest in being a OC, he has been out of football too long.

He's been coaching since he left the game. Not at the CFL level though. That doesn't mean you can be an OC. Not sure why he never got into coaching as he stayed here.

I know pro players who don't believe in coaching their replacements up. Not uncommon. Won 't say names but you'd be surprised who in the CFL before have told me that privately - why should they help develop a guy to replace them lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:

If I recall Damon said as much publicly that he had little interest in mentoring someone to take away his job. Can't remember if that was in the latter stages of his BC stay or after he moved on to the Argos. Question is has he not been offered QBC jobs or has he been offered but turned them down wanting to start out farther up the totem pole? A dozen years have passed since he last played. He lives in Oakville squarely between Toronto and Hamilton. With 2 CFL teams and at least 3 CIS programs in his neighbourhood it's very difficult to believe he hasn't entered coaching because nobody has expressed interest in him in the past 12 years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Danny reminds me of John Beck. Both well-respected veteran leaders who know the quarterback position extremely well and are great team guys; future coach material. In fact, John Beck was one of the best interviews I've ever heard.

But neither quite had what it takes (athletically) to be starters. In fact, I don't believe Danny would have been the #2 in 2020 had he not retired.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Was made official today. Apparently, he retired for Hervey told him he was not in Lions plans and was not going to be resigned.