cfl.ca off-season BC Lions outlook

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/12/off-seaso ... c-lions-2/

extremely well-done :)

seems like lions big priorities will be 1) resigning defensive secondary players; 2) wholesale changes on DL and LB.

my thought is LB will be easy to fix... i'm not completely convinced the talent is inferior.

DL and specifically pass rush will be trickier... lemon and willis both FA. i'd only want lemon back and then we need some new talent there.

my own personal comment but i think the lions (and many other teams) should look into going non-import at TB...... i don't consider it a key position. the NFL doesn't value it highly and that's a 4 down league.... i wonder if lyles and backup could handle it... i realize we have import TB's signed so maybe not this season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Re: Lyles
What's the scoop on him? He suffered what looked to be a nasty knee injury in the waning moments of BC's final game against Calgary. Never did hear a peep about it ever since. Maybe it turned out to be minor but at the time I thought it looked like something that could keep him out beyond training camp. I just remember feeling bad for him as here he was a couple of minutes away from exiting the season unscathed and WHAM!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:24 pm
Re: Lyles
What's the scoop on him? He suffered what looked to be a nasty knee injury in the waning moments of BC's final game against Calgary. Never did hear a peep about it ever since. Maybe it turned out to be minor but at the time I thought it looked like something that could keep him out beyond training camp. I just remember feeling bad for him as here he was a couple of minutes away from exiting the season unscathed and WHAM!
Lyles was the subject of an extensive feature last week on bclions.com and filmed a community service video for the City fo Surrey in which he dances around with a snow shovel. There's no indication of any lingering injury.

https://www.bclions.com/2019/12/05/lyle ... pirations/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Giving they have another West loaded schedule out of the gate, re-signing Lemon has to be a priority.
You just can't go through another Matt Boesen type experiment and hope they fill the void. In general I just want to see more cap space used on the defence.
Another impact international receiver would be nice but not a priority when you are already spending $180,000 plus on both Burnham and Durant's new deal. Cottoy should be more productive in year 2 and Johnson could also be re-signed although may look for a fresh start elsewhere.
Hunter and the scouting staff has to come up with one good American prospect at the entry level salary.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While I haven't taken a look recently, the Americans on the 2019 practice roster are the ones with the best chance of making the 2020 roster coming out of TC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Re: Boesen while he had no sacks he was tied or leading the DL in tackles when he went down. Statistically it was a sad lot one end of the line to the other at that point. His 11 DT in 6 GP prorates to 33 on a full season. The whole DL looked awful in the first 10 games. Everybody on the DL looked ineffective in Stubler's scheme.

Question is was it a case of Boesen being a failed experiment? Or was it an experiment doomed to failure in Stubler's scheme? I'm willing to see how he does under a different DC and scheme.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:33 pm
While I haven't taken a look recently, the Americans on the 2019 practice roster are the ones with the best chance of making the 2020 roster coming out of TC.
Yes, Joey Augustin was a favourite of the previous coaching staff. I would expect him to replace Duron Carter on the 2020 roster.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:06 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:33 pm
Yes, Joey Augustin was a favourite of the previous coaching staff. I would expect him to replace Duron Carter on the 2020 roster.
Augustin was a favourite of mine. He should have replaced Carter mid-season.... returning him to the practice roster was a good move... what wasn't good was choosing Carter over him... even with the season ending.