Which of the 4 Teams Hired the Best Coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which of the 4 Teams Hired the BestCoach?

Lions
43%
Red Blacks
14%
Argos
No votes
Eskimos
43%

Total votes: 14
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The jury is out on Ryan D for rookie HC. Lapolice too, but deserved 2nd chance. Campbell had success, but his team went 1 and 15 after the first 2 games which concerns me. I going to vote Edmonton. I think they hit a home run with Scott Milanovich and a total surprise hire. Wonder why he left a better paying job in the NFL for a CFL job, but I guess he wanted to be a HC again and not going to happen in the NFL
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:37 pm
The jury is out on Ryan D for rookie HC. Lapolice too, but deserved 2nd chance. Campbell had success, but his team went 1 and 15 after the first 2 games which concerns me. I going to vote Edmonton. I think they hit a home run with Scott Milanovich and a total surprise hire. Wonder why he left a better paying job in the NFL for a CFL job, but I guess he wanted to be a HC again and not going to happen in the NFL
The Jacksonville front office and coaching staff are on thin ground as the team gets blown out week after week on the way to a non-playoff year. I think Milanovich jumped before he was pushed.
BC 1988
Legend

(As B.C.FAN just said)

Jacksonville's season has trended downward, and there are rumblings of a major housecleaning.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -on-future
Maybe Milanovitch decided to get out ahead of that.
maxlion
Legend

I am surprised and glad to see Milanovich back in the CFL, but wouldn't necessarily say that he is a better choice than Campbell or Lapolice. All three have quite a bit of success and some blemishes on their resume. Being in the NFL is great, but recent success in the CFL with greater responsibilities is more valuable, IMO.

Dinwiddie is a young up and comer. Who knows how that will turn out.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Interesting polls but very difficult to reply to.

So many factors and hard to guess or speculate.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Not sure why so many seem to think Milanovich is a better hire than Campbell. If you take away the inaugural season of the Redblacks, both coaches would have the same number of years of experience (5), nearly an identical W-L record (Milanovich with 1 more win, but Campbell with 2 ties), and 1 Grey Cup championship each.

The only big differences between the records of each coach is in the standings and playoffs: Ottawa finished 1st in their division 3 times, Toronto only once. Ottawa won the EDF 3 times, Toronto only once.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Something else worth noting about the Milanovich vs. Campbell comparison. Check out the names on Milanovich's staff in Toronto:
Chris Jones
Jason Maas
Stephen McAdoo
Orlando Steinhauer
Mike O'Shea

Assistants of note for Campbell:
Jason Maas (1 season)
Marcus Crandell (1 season)
Jamie Elizondo (2 seasons)
Dusty
Champion

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:19 am
Not sure why so many seem to think Milanovich is a better hire than Campbell. If you take away the inaugural season of the Redblacks, both coaches would have the same number of years of experience (5), nearly an identical W-L record (Milanovich with 1 more win, but Campbell with 2 ties), and 1 Grey Cup championship each.

The only big differences between the records of each coach is in the standings and playoffs: Ottawa finished 1st in their division 3 times, Toronto only once. Ottawa won the EDF 3 times, Toronto only once.
There is no doubt that Campbell brings many of the things that management/ownership were looking for after last season, namely structure, organization and holding player accountable. Campbell may indeed be better at this than Milanovich or any of the other coaches chosen to fill Head Coach positions this year. So in filling this assessed need, BC may have got the best of those available.

But the Lions have other needs (my and other assessment) such as predictable offence schemes, lack of flexibility in making or incorporating adjustments into the offence (AND) defence as well as an inability or lack of experience in designing schemes to fit the talent on both sides of the ball.

Milanovich, Lapolice and Dinwoodie, with their offensive-based experience may be better at filling my needs assessment but not Hervey's expressed needs assessment. To me, the most important hire going into the off-season was not the Lions Head Coach. Instead it was the OC and the DC.

In Campbell we have an experienced DC, and may have the ability to groom a defensive position coach as an "assistant" DC.

That leaves the OC position outstanding. I fear that we will be going with JJ again this year. Whether or not it will be the "Same Old - Same Old" Jackson offence is the most important question that should be keeping Campbell up at nights.

That would not be the case with a Milanovich, Lapolice or Dinwoodie hire.