Eskimos hire Scott Milanovich as next HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

https://www.tsn.ca/scott-milanovich-to- ... -1.1412094

Given the sky high value of offensive-minded coaches this off-season this is quite the catch for the Eskimos. Would he have been a better fit in BC than Campbell?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A good hire for them. Didn't know he was available. He would have been a good name to add to the mix for our vacancy.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

He would be the polar opposite of Maas in attitude. Quite a change for EDM.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I agree I think Eskimos hit a home run here. I hired the best coach of the 4 teams. I am concerned now that unless Lions hired a decent OC, BC will likely miss the playoffs again.

All quiet in Lions land, hearing nothing recently about who they considering for any of their coordinator positions.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:20 pm
A good hire for them. Didn't know he was available. He would have been a good name to add to the mix for our vacancy.
I'm pretty sure that entire Jacksonville coaching staff is going to get broomed in the offseason, so I'm not surprised.

It is a good hire to be sure. I'd have a fleeting moment of happiness amidst the perpetual self-loathing of existence if I was an Eskimos fan.
squishy35
Legend

I hear Chaps is still available. ( I kid ). Maybe the ideal situation is to promote from within. Is it possible that Jarious would be different in his play calling with Campell's vision at the helm? Who knows. I would really like to see Lulay get some kind of coaching input.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm
I agree I think Eskimos hit a home run here. I hired the best coach of the 4 teams. I am concerned now that unless Lions hired a decent OC, BC will likely miss the playoffs again.

All quiet in Lions land, hearing nothing recently about who they considering for any of their coordinator positions.
Rick Campbell was interviewed this week by Davis Sanchez and Donnovan Bennett on the CFL's official podcast, The Waggle. Campbell confirmed that he will serve as defensive coordinator but he didn't give any indication of who was being considered for assistant coaching positions. He said things were moving quickly across the league at the time the interview was recorded Tuesday morning. I can only conclude that things moved too quickly for the Lions, who lost out on all the top offensive coaching candidates.

The Waggle Episode 190: Ranking the free agent QBs + Rick Campbell exclusive
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:32 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Rick Campbell was interviewed this week by Davis Sanchez and Donnovan Bennett on the CFL's official podcast, The Waggle. Campbell confirmed that he will serve as defensive coordinator but he didn't give any indication of who was being considered for assistant coaching positions. He said things were moving quickly across the league at the time the interview was recorded Tuesday morning. I can only conclude that things moved too quickly for the Lions, who lost out on all the top offensive coaching candidates.

The Waggle Episode 190: Ranking the free agent QBs + Rick Campbell exclusive
I believe Maas taking the Saskatchewan job put a serious dent in our plans. I think management put all their chips in that hire and lost out (in fairness, to most everyone's surprise), similar to the way the Argos wooed BLM last free agency period, only to have him re-sign with the Stamps.

I would be okay with Jarious coming back with Travis being named QBs coach with input into the structure of the offence (co-offensive coordinator?). This will provide TL the "training wheels" to move up the coaching ranks. I really think he has it in him to be a great one.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Now if the Eskimos get Claybrooks as their DC that would be a hell of an upgrade to their entire coaching staff.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:40 pm

I would be okay with Jarious coming back with Travis being named QBs coach with input into the structure of the offence (co-offensive coordinator?). This will provide TL the "training wheels" to move up the coaching ranks. I really think he has it in him to be a great one.

No to Jarious Jackson coming back. Already seen enough of his act. A predictable offence and at times strange and bad calls. Anybody but him, even Joe Paopao. But my pick would be to give that QB coach of Edmonton a chance and seems Lions are interested.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Now if the Eskimos get Claybrooks as their DC that would be a hell of an upgrade to their entire coaching staff.
I don’t think the Esks can do better than their incumbent DC Phillip Lolley. He didn’t have the best talent in the league but the Esks’ pass rush was fearsome, especially against the Lions, and the Edmonton defence ranked second in the league behind Saskatchewan’s.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Like most head coaches in the new CFL cap era, Milanovich will wear two hats, according to GM Brock Sunderland.

That suggests Jordan Maksymic would have to take a demotion to stay with the Esks. He held the titles of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Jason Maas, although it seemed to be Maas's offence. Maksymic's chances of becoming the Lions' new OC just improved significantly.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 pm
David wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:40 pm

No to Jarious Jackson coming back. Already seen enough of his act. A predictable offence and at times strange and bad calls. Anybody but him, even Joe Paopao. But my pick would be to give that QB coach of Edmonton a chance and seems Lions are interested.
X2. Seen enough of Jackson
David
Team Captain

Yes....BUT I am saying if we can bring in Travis in some offensive capacity to work with Jarious that seems to me to likely be a better option than some no-name guy with no experience.

When the O-line came together is when we saw offensive efficiency. During that 4-game win streak we averaged 37 points a game (albeit against weaker opponents). Then Reilly got hurt, no Durant either and we averaged fewer than 14 points a game over the last 3 games. However, I'm not sure LaPolice could have gotten more out of that offence.

Again, it wasn't my first choice, but I would be willing to see a JJ come back with Travis's involvement as a QB Coach and co-offensive coordinator.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Like most head coaches in the new CFL cap era, Milanovich will wear two hats, according to GM Brock Sunderland.

That suggests Jordan Maksymic would have to take a demotion to stay with the Esks. He held the titles of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Jason Maas, although it seemed to be Maas's offence. Maksymic's chances of becoming the Lions' new OC just improved significantly.
Milanovich probably made the multiple hats a condition of accepting the job. I think he was doing the same with the Argos? Regardless the additional responsibilities should make for a chunk of additional salary to help compensate for the massive haircut he is taking from his Jax QBC salary to CFL HC pay.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.