Who Got the Better Coach - Ottawa or BC?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Got the Better Coach - Ottawa or BC?

Ottawa
29%
BC
43%
Both - coaches are equal
29%
Neither both picked wrong guy
No votes

Total votes: 14
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I am going to say Ottawa. I am surprised Lapolice choose Ottawa. I wonder if he was even a serious candidate for BC or whether Hervey wanted Campbell and he was our NO 1 choice. I am going to say Ottawa, for Lapolice is the best offensive mind in the CFL according to Naylor. Could be an argument that Dickenson is. Nevertheless, I think Ottawa got the better coach and jury will be out if Campbell's success was due to a weak East division, a great OC and a hot QB in Burris.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Time will tell but I’m a LaPolice fan. I wanted him last year and this year. Winning sells tickets but so does an imaginative, high-scoring offence. The Lions haven’t had a lot of that lately despite some top-notch offensive talent.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:14 pm
Time will tell but I’m a LaPolice fan. I wanted him last year and this year. Winning sells tickets but so does an imaginative, high-scoring offence. The Lions haven’t had a lot of that lately despite some top-notch offensive talent.
Bingo!

My hope now is pinned on a creative and innovative OC..... I am so tired of watching our opponents stuff our predictable offence....
VictoriaFan
Starter

does that mean we get Dinwiddie?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Same answer as I gave in the thread about Campbell. I'll tell you in October. One guy is from the offensive side of the ball and the other from the defensive side and they say defense wins championships. Different coaches who would bring different things to the table. On a 60/40 split I think our D needs more tuning than our O.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
Starter

I'll say BC going with Campbell will result in a more immediate improvement and over time Lions win a GC before Ottawa does.

That said Ottawa has a lot more questions across the roster so to base it on wins in 2020 is not really a direct reflection of the head coach imo. Both will need good help to meet organizational objectives.

Winnipeg will miss Lapo more than Ottawa will miss Campbell based on 2019.
David
Team Captain

I'll take Rick Campbell, thank you.

I think people tend to have this idealized vision of LaPolice due to his outstandingly creative play-calling in Winnipeg. And he may well turn out to be and outstanding Head Coach too.

But I'll take the more experienced Rick Campbell. LaPolice has only been the head man for 46 CFL games ( over 2 and 1/2 seasons), winning just 16 of them. Granted, he has probably learned a lot from O'Shea, but a great coordinator does not necessarily mean he will have success in Ottawa, as we've just seen first hand.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm going with Campbell just based on body of work as a HC. Sure, the East Division was weak but taking an expansion team to 3 consecutive Grey Cup games in 4 years is still impressive. Other teams have had longer "rebuilding periods" just trying to get to the point of making or hosting a playoff game (see Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, BC, Saskatchewan).

Maybe LaPo didn't get a fair evaluation during his short stint as HC in Winnipeg? But now he's gone into a situation that could quickly become a similar circus show to what he dealt with Joe Mack in Winnipeg. It's an opportunity to prove that he is as good as many people think he can be, but I'd be reluctant to put my future reputation in Desjardins hands. If LaPo doesn't have success in Ottawa he will be a twice failed HC and could be seen as another great coordinator who should remain at that level.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

One advantage LaPolice might have in going to Ottawa is LaPolice himself. Ottawa just became a lot more attractive for free agent QBs.
maxlion
Legend

Campbell coming here reminds me of when Wally first came here years ago--a successful coach with a great track record runs into a bad situation for a year and ends up a free agent. Like Wally, Campbell may not bring outstanding expertise in any one area (although he was a very good DC in Calgary), but can bring a professional and consistent approach to managing a team. I think that he could be here for many years or, more likely, could end up as a GM here or elsewhere.

Lapolice has more to prove but is very deserving of a second chance. His best asset may be that he brings his own OC with him at a time when proven OCs are in short supply. I think that he will be successful in Ottawa.

Both were great choices and I am glad that Campbell is in BC. But as Hambone says, have to wait until October to really find out!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 am
LaPolice has only been the head man for 46 CFL games ( over 2 and 1/2 seasons), winning just 16 of them.

And 7 of those 16 wins happened in the first 8 games of his 2nd season, 2011, when the Bombers started the season on fire. They would cool off managing to hang onto 1st in the East despite going 3-7 the rest of the way to finish 10-8. Surrounding that 7-1 streak was a 4-14 rookie season and a 5-13 finish before being let go during the 2012 season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 am
I'll take Rick Campbell, thank you.

I think people tend to have this idealized vision of LaPolice due to his outstandingly creative play-calling in Winnipeg. And he may well turn out to be and outstanding Head Coach too.

But I'll take the more experienced Rick Campbell. LaPolice has only been the head man for 46 CFL games ( over 2 and 1/2 seasons), winning just 16 of them. Granted, he has probably learned a lot from O'Shea, but a great coordinator does not necessarily mean he will have success in Ottawa, as we've just seen first hand.

Exactly this.

I would have been happy with LaPolice as our head coach too, but I think Rick Campbell is probably the better choice for Head Coach, and he certainly has a lot more experience as a HC and better resume. I absolutely get wanting the creative offensive mind, but let's just hire a good OC and that'll take care of itself.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:08 pm
I absolutely get wanting the creative offensive mind, but let's just hire a good OC and that'll take care of itself.
That’s the rub. With good OCs hard to find, LaPolice would have filled both roles. We’ll be in better position to answer the poll question when we find out who will be Campbell’s OC.
jwbavalon
Rookie

I vote BC as Campbell has been to the dance 3 times as a HC and still has lots of years left to go a few more times. We now need a OC to tailor to Reilly style not trying to mold Reilly to their style.

maxlion wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 am
Campbell coming here reminds me of when Wally first came here years ago--a successful coach with a great track record runs into a bad situation for a year and ends up a free agent. Like Wally, Campbell may not bring outstanding expertise in any one area (although he was a very good DC in Calgary), but can bring a professional and consistent approach to managing a team. I think that he could be here for many years or, more likely, could end up as a GM here or elsewhere.

Lapolice has more to prove but is very deserving of a second chance. His best asset may be that he brings his own OC with him at a time when proven OCs are in short supply. I think that he will be successful in Ottawa.

Both were great choices and I am glad that Campbell is in BC. But as Hambone says, have to wait until October to really find out!
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:42 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:08 pm
I absolutely get wanting the creative offensive mind, but let's just hire a good OC and that'll take care of itself.
That’s the rub. With good OCs hard to find, LaPolice would have filled both roles. We’ll be in better position to answer the poll question when we find out who will be Campbell’s OC.
Respectfully, yes and no, B.C.FAN. I don't necessarily think that just because a guy has a masterful offensive mind (ergo, a successful offensive coordinator) that he will be a top-notch head coach. There are so many variables there.

Yes, his team will likely score a lot of points, but I don't think offensive coordinating and head coaching necessarily go hand-in-hand so that it conveniently "takes care of both." Only time will tell, as you mention.

I do recall one stunt HC Paul LaPolice pulled in the Bomber locker room. He brought a giant mirror when the team was mired in a slump and said, "I want each of you to look into this." :roll: Gag. So corny!

Roar, You Lions, Roar