Paul Lapolice New Coach of Ottawa

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Dave Naylor just broke this story. This is a big win for Ottawa. I wonder if the Lions even interviewed Lapolice. I know they got permission to talk to him, but never any report he was interviewed. Personally, I think Ottawa got the best candidate out there. I guess this hire means, Ryan D likely will be our new OC and JJ will be gone.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:47 pm
I guess this hire means, Ryan D likely will be our new OC and JJ will be gone.
:cr:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

At his introductory news conference, Paul LaPolice said he doesn't know if he'll name an offensive coordinator. "I'll be the primary play-caller," he said, but "the coaching staff will be collaborative," with input from everyone.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LaPolice has hired Mike Benevides as defensive coordinator in Ottawa.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:22 am
LaPolice has hired Mike Benevides as defensive coordinator in Ottawa.
I was kind of hoping we could bring Benny back as STs coordinator or defensive assistant to Campbell. Farhan is particularly bullish on this hire, believing that he was unfairly maligned in Edmonton given "how the roster and ratio was constructed" (not quite sure what he means here). Solly also tweeted that Benny is "easily one of the best coaches I've been around."

EDIT - Ed Willes reporting today that Mark Nelson (the white-haired "Malboro Man") is likely to become our Special Teams coach).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I felt Campbell would bring in some of his assistants from Ottawa and Nelson I think worked with him last year.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I see Buck Pierce (a personal favourite former Lion) has been promoted, as some expected, to OC with the Bombers. Congrats to him. I could easily entertain the wish he'd come this way some day, but believe he's very happy and content to be making his home in Winnipeg over these past few years. https://3downnation.com/2020/01/19/bomb ... ordinator/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, just to follow up, that's what Justin Dunk indicates ("per sources") -- though I note that the Bombers website is quiet on this and Buck is still listed as QB coach.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Confirmation on Buck Pierce replacing Paul LaPolice as Bombers OC. A nice article with some history on Pierce, whose been a Winnipeger through-and-through for a few years now. https://www.cfl.ca/2020/01/21/bombers-a ... f-changes/