Who Will Be the BC Lions Offensive Coordinator in 2020?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be Lions OC in 2020?

Jarious Jackson
No votes
Joe Paopao
5%
Ryan Dinwiddie
40%
Stephen McAdoo
10%
Other
45%

Total votes: 20
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Soon I think it will be announced that Ryan D is our new OC, since he lost out on the Redblacks job.
Dusty
Champion

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:53 pm
Soon I think it will be announced that Ryan D is our new OC, since he lost out on the Redblacks job.
Maybe he ends up in Ottawa as OC. Buck moves up to OC in Winnipeg....

We need a different offensive philosophy, so I'm hopeful we end up with a new OC and plan. If it is Dinwoodie, then good. Is it a slam dunk that he comes here... Maybe, maybe not....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:50 pm
pennw wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:47 am
Why is Joe Paopao on that list ?
Because he is available and was Ottawa's OC for Campbell. I know he is a long short, but had to throw in one. I should have put Jeff Garcia on that list though as a long shot.
Sort of OC. He was their RB and QB coach. At around Labour Day with the REDBLACKS having lost 6 of their previous 7 Campbell tried to shake things up and handed play calling over to Paopao. They lost their remaining 9 after that change. It wasn't so much Joe was Rick's OC as it was that by that point he had no better options.

Success in football has been elusive for Paopao for several years. The old saying if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. It's a crying shame that a true gentleman in Canadian football has enjoyed so little success. He deserves much better than football life have given him
2019 - RBC/QBC for 3-15 REDBLACKS
2015-2018 - OC for SFU who went 1-37
2014 - Receivers Coach for the 9-9 BC Lions under Tedford
2012-13 - HC of Waterloo Warriors who went 3-13 in his 2 seasons.
2007-11 - OC of Waterloo Warriors. Waterloo would go 8-16 in his 1st 3 years as OC, get the program suspended for the season in 2010 due to doping violations before going 0-8 when they were allowed back in.
2006 - OC for the 4-14 Ticats
2002-05 - HC for the Ottawa Renegades who would go 23-49 with a high water mark of 7-11. They would not make the playoffs before folding.
2001 - OC for the XFL SF Demons. Demons would finish 5-5, win their semi-final game before losing in the championship. Of course the XFL folded after one season.
1999-2000 - this would mark the last time Joe enjoyed true success. He was OC of the BC Lions who finished 13-5 in 99 (the last time he was part of an actual winning record) and won the 2000 Grey Cup.
1997-98 - OC in Winnipeg. Bombers would go 7-29
1996 - HC of the 5-13 BC Lions
1994-95 - back to back 13-5 seasons as Eskimo OC but couldn't parlay that into trips to the Grey Cup.
1989-93 - part of BC coaching staff in different capacities. BC would go 37-58-1 with a best of 11-7 in 1991 (thanks Doug Flutie) and a disastrous 3-15 in 1992 (thanks Danny Barrett). They made the playoffs twice but we're eliminated by Calgary in the WSF both times.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Since it now looks as if Ryan Dinwiddie may be the Lions' next OC, can someone explain to me just what makes him an attractive candidate? I haven't followed the coaching ranks much in the CFL, but gather that he has been the Stampeders' QB coach. So does his appeal stem from the fact that BLM has had some success as Stampeders QB, or that he was able to get good play from Nick Arbuckle?

I suppose we should be grateful simply to get rid of Jarious Jackson, but can we be confident we'd be getting an innovative and inspirational OC with Dinwiddie? I guess I was hoping we might be able to pick up a guy who'd already had experience as an OC. There's a heck of a lot more to running an offense than coaching a couple of QBs.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would rather lose with Joe P than lose with anybody else.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
maxlion
Legend

South Pender wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 pm
Since it now looks as if Ryan Dinwiddie may be the Lions' next OC, can someone explain to me just what makes him an attractive candidate? I haven't followed the coaching ranks much in the CFL, but gather that he has been the Stampeders' QB coach. So does his appeal stem from the fact that BLM has had some success as Stampeders QB, or that he was able to get good play from Nick Arbuckle?

I suppose we should be grateful simply to get rid of Jarious Jackson, but can we be confident we'd be getting an innovative and inspirational OC with Dinwiddie? I guess I was hoping we might be able to pick up a guy who'd already had experience as an OC. There's a heck of a lot more to running an offense than coaching a couple of QBs.
Good question. I definitely don't know the answer. From the 2018 season to 2019 season, the CFL lost Mark Trestman, Jamie Elizondo, and June Jones to the XFL. That's 1/3 of the OCs in the league. Condell stepped up in Hamilton, while Jackson never lived up to the hope in BC.

So we either recruit from the States which is a big gamble and unlikely given the salary situation here, or look for the next best prospect. That's Dinwiddie.
David
Team Captain

There she was just walkin' down the street
Singin' "Do wah diddy diddy Dinwiddie do"

Don't know a lot about his responsibilities in Calgary but he has obviously worked for one of the sharpest offensive minds in DD. I wonder too if he had more responsibilities being the QB coach for a team that employs a duo Head Coach and OC as opposed to say, Buck Pierce in Winnipeg who worked with strictly an OC LaPolice? In other words, could the Head Coach/OC have delegated more to his QB Coach for the offensive plans due to his added responsibilities (e.g., overseeing the entire game plan)?

There is no question Bo Levi Mitchell (and Nick Arbuckle!) looked well prepared. Dinwiddie has certainly paid his dues too, as he was with the Stamps for the past 4 seasons and with Montreal for 3 prior to that.

Sometimes the good but not great QBs have to rely on their smarts more just to make it than the athletically gifted. Hopefully, that's the case here.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Dinwiddie has spent the past 4 years working in what has been without doubt the top CFL organization for nearly a decade. While that guarantees nothing if he's in any way a good student he should have learned a ton thru both Dickenson and Hufnagel. As David pointed out with Dickenson holding down the dual role of HC and OC he's likely been afforded more responsibilities in offensive game planning and play calling than if he was QBC under an OC-only. One would think by now a lot of Dave Dickenson has rubbed off on Dinwiddie. That Dinwiddie was so strongly considered for the Ottawa HC job also mught be a sign of how he is regarded league wide.
don corleone
Starter

Slim chance but what about Matt Dunigan in a coordinator role. Campbell's experience will help out making a good choice.

Personally I would throw money at Travis Lulay before going after Dinwiddie. Also wondering about how the relationship between Campbell and Mike Reilly will go and if Reilly will have input into the offense.

Unrelated but it seems odd to me how Edmonton is talking Kilam and Washington but not mentioning Claybrooks. Oversight imo.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Matt's where he should be. In the broadcast booth or on the panel. His coaching resume is one sentence long and 15 years old.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

No given Ryan D is coming here. He just interviewed for the Toronto Argos, but no report given what it was for, so maybe Lions looking elsewhere or thinking of bringing back Jackson.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji say the Argos have interviewed Dinwiddie and Dave Naylor says Pinball Clemons is evaluating all aspects of football operations, including the head coach.

The Lions may have to resort to Plan C as offensive coordinator. Farhan says one option could be Edmonton QB coach Jordan Maksymic.

squishy35
Legend

South Pender wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Dinwiddie served as the Alouettes’ co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach in 2015. Under Dinwiddie’s tutelage, Montreal led the CFL with 129 rushing first downs and was first in the East Division with 2,076 rushing yards including 1,059 by league rushing champion Tyrell Sutton.

The Elk Grove, Calif., native joined the Alouettes’ staff in 2013 as offensive quality control coach and was named quarterbacks coach prior to the 2014 season. He was promoted to offensive co-ordinator during training camp and, despite instability and injury issues at the quarterback position — four different players made starts — the Alouettes finished 9-9 and reached the Eastern Final.
David
Team Captain

I think that if the Lions bring back Jarious, it will be as a QB coach or some type of support role (if he accepts it). The organization is still high on him according to things I read during the latter part of the season.

I really hope Bates and Phillips (RP) come back. :cr:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 am

The Lions may have to resort to Plan C as offensive coordinator. Farhan says one option could be Edmonton QB coach Jordan Maksymic.
And here I thought that Maas was calling the plays on the sidelines. He sure was animated so I figured he was doing the calling. I did not know that the Esks had a different OC.

I'm still encouraged by the concept of a varied offensive playbook. Whether this "new" name or Dinwoodie..... so long as they are interested in calling plays that are based on the talent on the field, I'm content.