Rick Campbell confirmed as HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

According to Farhan Lalji, the Lions will talk to Maas again later this week and it'll likely come down to if he wants to coach this year or not. They've also requested permission to speak to Ryan Dinwiddie.

Based on that, I think Jackson is likely out as OC. Or at the very least he might be a last resort type of scenario.
Roar you Lions roar!
plaidrabbit
prospect

I don’t understand how the League has allowed Hervey to hire Campbell. I thought that there was a rule that couldn’t happen as long as a Coach was under contract. This is not a good move. Maas has anger issues another bad move.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

plaidrabbit wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:30 pm
I don’t understand how the League has allowed Hervey to hire Campbell. I thought that there was a rule that couldn’t happen as long as a Coach was under contract. This is not a good move. Maas has anger issues another bad move.
When a coach is fired, he is essentially becomes a free agent. He can sign with any team he wishes.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Campbell resigned; he was not fired, but I think the same rule applies and his contract is terminated.
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:57 pm
Based on that, I think Jackson is likely out as OC. Or at the very least he might be a last resort type of scenario.
Or he could become the QB coach. I believe Farhan presented this scenario a week or so ago (he said something to the effect that they like him, he may still be the OC next year depending on the coach, or he could be offered a QB coach role).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A coach being fired with more time on his contract could sit out and get paid or take a new role and then settle up with the former club for something less than the full amount left on the contract.

Some contracts spell out what happens if a new role is taken after after being fired with time left (say another year). Not sure how coaching contracts work but in Canadian employment law if you are fired with severance for lack of cause or notice (managers/execs not contract staff) you are expected to mitigate the damages by seeking new work. BUT these days with tech they often force people to sit out and take the pay to avoid that person with a competitor.

Rick Campbell no doubt knows that in a 9 team league you don't want to sit out and not find an open spot a year from now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This whole hiring sounds like the same process he used last year (there was no process) except this time he hired a person as HC who he has worked with before.

What I find unsatisfactory with this method is that he doesn't sound like he interviews other candidates to learn how these guys see his team. That is one reason excecs get interviewed - find out how their competitors see their business and what these outsiders think is needed for your business.

I doubt Rick Campbell came in wanting to be his own DC but as some have noted maybe they need to cut some costs given the payout of the former HC thus forcing him to take on DC.

I'd want to know what role he played in letting Trevor Harris escape. We assume it was his GM but did he protest. We do infer from him quitting on OTT that he was not a happy camper with his GM decisions OR why else did he quit there?

This year Campbell looked lost on the sidelines with his team performing so badly.

Ed Hervey takes no accountability for the debacle of last season. Typical weak GM who didn't lay out what he wanted to see during the season so that his HC could both learn and adjust.

This media madness that the assistants were all too green is a bit bogus when I saw practices where on OFF there seemed to be little asked by Jackson of his other coaching colleagues.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 pm
This whole hiring sounds like the same process he used last year (there was no process) except this time he hired a person as HC who he has worked with before.

What I find unsatisfactory with this method is that he doesn't sound like he interviews other candidates to learn how these guys see his team. That is one reason excecs get interviewed - find out how their competitors see their business and what these outsiders think is needed for your business.
I too have this feeling.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Glad it is not MAAS as he loses lots of games due to poor game time decisions.

What scares me about have him as an assistant coach is that if Campbell doesn't last very long for whatever reason, we could end up with MAAS as HC.

Cheering really hard to Campbell to get it done.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

plaidrabbit wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:30 pm
Campbell resigned in Ottawa. The fact that there was no resistance from the team and no talk about the Lions owing any form of compensation seems to indicate that Campbell had an escape clause in his contract. Not uncommon in a long term contract. Or the GM was considering firing him anyway but when Campbell offered to resign it gave Ottawa the opportunity to move on without possibly having to pay out the remainder of Campbell's contract.
squishy35
Legend

3downnation is reporting that Lions are having discussions with Maas as OC... stay tuned...
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 am
Campbell resigned in Ottawa. The fact that there was no resistance from the team and no talk about the Lions owing any form of compensation seems to indicate that Campbell had an escape clause in his contract. Not uncommon in a long term contract. Or the GM was considering firing him anyway but when Campbell offered to resign it gave Ottawa the opportunity to move on without possibly having to pay out the remainder of Campbell's contract.
The term used at the time was "mutually decided to part ways". I always take that to mean just that. Desjardins didn't call him in to fire him and he didn't simply hand in his resignation. They met and came to a mutual agreement that he would leave and at the same time likely cleared up the terms and loose ends of the departure such as any remaining financial compensation required, freedom to immediately put himself on the market no strings attached etc. Call it an amicable divorce I suppose.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Don Miller
Legend

I am fine with Maas as OC and Benevides as DC. Campbell has experience on special teams as well.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
South Pender
Legend

Don Miller wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:31 am
I am fine with Maas as OC and Benevides as DC. Campbell has experience on special teams as well.
Wasn't the announcement that Campbell would take on the DC role as well as that of HC?

Regardless, I'm not so sure about Benevides as DC. His defense with the 2018 Esks was far from stellar.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Interesting to note Campbell's staff has been completely removed from the Red Blacks website. Obviously all were in a lame duck scenario with new head coach coming in but would be surprised if none of them end up following Campbell to BC. Always thought Vancouver native Noel Thorpe was a solid DC.