Rick Campbell confirmed as HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

BC Lions are stating that Campbell is HC and DC. That puts a lot of pressure on Campbell to get a really good OC who can stand on his own. The dual role for Campbell is likely the outcome of paying Claybrooks for a year.
David
Team Captain

I noted in the presser that Campbell said "the OC we bring in" which may indicate that he is leaning toward an outside candidate, otherwise he would have qualified as "bring in (or bring back)."

Being that Campbell is a defensive-oriented coach, I believe we have to move on from Jarious to someone with more flair, dare, and creativity as I found our attack to be too pedestrian the past couple of years. Too bad Jamie Elizondo moved to the XFL, but I would be happy with Maas for OC.

P.S. Benny for Special Teams please!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Csmpbell will serve as his own DC, so that could save a bit of money on the coaching cap. It could also end speculation about the future of Rich Stubler.
maxlion
Legend

I think that this is a great hire by Hervey. Campbell is a class act. I suspect that he could be here for a long time.

Next step is the OC. Maas would be ideal. Not sure who would be second choice.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not overly excited about the Campbell hiring but partly due to the XFL, there are a limited number of coaching candidates and that includes assistant coaches and coordinators out there.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 pm
I noted in the presser that Campbell said "the OC we bring in" which may indicate that he is leaning toward an outside candidate, otherwise he would have qualified as "bring in (or bring back)."

Please Santa :cr: :cr:
The_Pauser
Legend

Where are people seeing that Campbell will be DC as well? I haven't seen that anywhere...

Regarding Maas. I would be thrilled to have him as our OC. I believe he was the OC in Edmonton too while also being their HC. He runs a good offense, but his personality probably wasn't conducive to being a head coach. I kinda see him as the anti-Claybrooks where Claybrooks may have been too buddy-buddy with the players, Maas comes off as too much of a dictator and hardass. A HC has to find the right balance. But as OC, where the focus will be on play design and calling the game, I think he'll excel.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

If ya keep Maas up locked up in the spotter's booth, there is only so much anger damage he can do. At least he can't overturn the 5-gallon Gatorade cooler. :rotf:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser
Legend

Thanks, I missed that. So the only place where it lists him as DC is on the lower third name bar. Interesting if that was a mistake, or just some inside info that was released since I don't see that anywhere.
Roar you Lions roar!
Fan7
Rookie

Well there you go, not an impressive record as a Head Coach, wasn’t highly thought of in Ottawa, now BC has him. Will be interesting to see season ticket sales in BC with this announcement. Be prepared for lots of excuses and finger pointing. I thought they would make an effort to attract LaPolice? Might work out but certainly does not renew interest in the Lions or the CFL in BC.
Dusty
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:56 pm
Thanks, I missed that. So the only place where it lists him as DC is on the lower third name bar. Interesting if that was a mistake, or just some inside info that was released since I don't see that anywhere.
The Lions sent out an email to ST holders with the wording below.
Today, your BC Lions Football Club announced that Rick Campbell, has been named the 27th head coach in team history!

Campbell, who will also serve as the team’s defensive coordinator, takes over the reins of the Leos after serving as head coach of the Ottawa RedBlacks from 2014 to 2019.

That's where I got the understanding....
The_Pauser
Legend

Fan7 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Well there you go, not an impressive record as a Head Coach, wasn’t highly thought of in Ottawa, now BC has him. Will be interesting to see season ticket sales in BC with this announcement. Be prepared for lots of excuses and finger pointing. I thought they would make an effort to attract LaPolice? Might work out but certainly does not renew interest in the Lions or the CFL in BC.
What has LaPolice done as a HC that Campbell hasn't?
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Dusty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:56 pm
The Lions sent out an email to ST holders with the wording below.
Today, your BC Lions Football Club announced that Rick Campbell, has been named the 27th head coach in team history!

Campbell, who will also serve as the team’s defensive coordinator, takes over the reins of the Leos after serving as head coach of the Ottawa RedBlacks from 2014 to 2019.

That's where I got the understanding....
Thanks! That seems clear cut lol.

Makes sense though, especially with the coach cap. Still having to pay Claybrooks and probably Chiu too they needed to save some money somewhere. Maas likely won't be cheap either.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

Fan7 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm
In fairness, when judging his entire head coaching record in Ottawa, he took on an expansion franchise (2014), which is always a write-off. Then his last season (2019) was a tire fire due to his GM letting four key players walk (Trevor Harris, Greg Ellingson, William Powell, Sir Vincent Rogers) then seeing their dynamic returner and receiver sign in the NFL (Diontae Spencer). He didn't have a proper starting quarterback this past year.

Those two years really skew the winning percentage. His record goes from 48-65-2 (including playoffs) to a very respectable 43-34-2 (including playoffs). Yes, he coached in a weak division, but deserves credit for taking that expansion franchise and leading them to 12-6 record and a thrilling playoff win the following year, then winning the Grey Cup the year after that.

Roar, You Lions, Roar