Rick Campbell confirmed as HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:46 pm
I wonder if it came down to dollars and cents with Maas? Maybe he was offered better money/opportunity in Saskatchewan, which is why he jumped at the Riders' OC position, despite being an Oregon guy and having really close ties to Reilly and having previously worked with Campbell.

This is what he said at his presser:
Jason Maas wrote:Save for Calgary, this is the closet thing to where my family is so it’s just easier. The other places were a little bit different for family atmosphere.

DH :cool:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Riders had a major advantage when it came to money. Is Dickenson making as much as it took to land Rick Campbell? Never mind still being on the hook for Claybrooks' salary.
pennw
Legend

I would have been okay with Claybrooks having been retained as DC . To bad some sort of arrangement like that could not have been made . Wonder if he'll get his old job in Calgary back ?
David
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:50 am
I would have been okay with Claybrooks having been retained as DC . To bad some sort of arrangement like that could not have been made . Wonder if he'll get his old job in Calgary back ?
It's very rare for a coach to go from coordinator to a head coach elsewhere, then fired, then come back as a coordinator for the team that just fired him. I can't even think of any examples.

Not saying he wouldn't be great at a DC here, but Rick is bringing in his own staff. It would be awkward to have the previous HC on the sidelines coordinating the defence. Besides, I believe Rick will have that duo role.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:14 pm
pennw wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:50 am
It's very rare for a coach to go from coordinator to a head coach elsewhere, then fired, then come back as a coordinator for the team that just fired him. I can't even think of any examples.

Not saying he wouldn't be great at a DC here, but Rick is bringing in his own staff. It would be awkward to have the previous HC on the sidelines coordinating the defence. Besides, I believe Rick will have that duo role.

I realize the unlikeliness of that from happening and , of course Rick Campbell is going bring who he wants in . Just saying I would have been ok with it . Claybrooks ran a pretty good defense in Calgary and maybe he needs a job still . That along with BC still owing him his salary , maybe a deal could have been reached where both sides would have benefited.