Rick Campbell confirmed as HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm
Though Maas may be a good OC, I for one am happy he is not coming. Just don't care for the man and his anger. Just hope they don't bring back Jackson. I think if Ryan D doesn't get the Red Blacks job, he may be the guy. I just don't see him getting the Ottawa gig. Better candidates out there. But whoever gets the Ottawa job, they will last a year or 2 and be gone, as long as they have their current GM, who is the worst GM in the league. He is too cheap to pay his good players. I would not be surprised if they let Lewis Ward walk.
I'm never happy when we lose out on a good talent.
Roar you Lions roar!
BcBenny
prospect

I haven't kept track of Dinwiddie, not sure what his style is, but does anyone have a cliff note on what his philosophy is? He was never a remarkable QB but seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders. I liked Maas as a choice but I also recognized his personality as a potential tempermant clash; Campbell seems very calm and methodical in comparison. Is there any of our existing "junior" staff that could fill that role or do we need to look outwards?

Wish we could have kept Khari, but highsight is 20/20. Most likely not an OC, but was any thought put into Travis as an offensive cohort(assuming he was interested in that career track)? He was always a student of the game and if he was inclined I feel could be a great addition to the coaching staff.
squishy35
Legend

BcBenny wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 am
I haven't kept track of Dinwiddie, not sure what his style is, but does anyone have a cliff note on what his philosophy is? He was never a remarkable QB but seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders. I liked Maas as a choice but I also recognized his personality as a potential tempermant clash; Campbell seems very calm and methodical in comparison. Is there any of our existing "junior" staff that could fill that role or do we need to look outwards?

Wish we could have kept Khari, but highsight is 20/20. Most likely not an OC, but was any thought put into Travis as an offensive cohort(assuming he was interested in that career track)? He was always a student of the game and if he was inclined I feel could be a great addition to the coaching staff.
Well, Dinwiddie has been BLM's QB coach for the last 4 years in Calgary (some measurable success there). He must have been quite intricate in Calgary's offensive planning as well (again, some measurable success there)…
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One other QB coach who should be ready to step up to OC is Buck Pierce. Regrettably, it will probably only happen in Winnipeg after Paul LaPolice leaves.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Having a vet like Reilly at QB is bound to be an asset to any first time OC.

The one guy who imo, can jump from player to OC without first being a QB Coach is Lulay. He was a de facto QB Coach during his injury recoveries and as BcBenny has said, Lulay has always been a student of the game. I seem to recall seeing a game where Lulay was doing some colour commentary and his analysis from a QB's point of view was like the CFL's version of colour guy Tony Romo. In other words he would look at the Defensive alignment, pre snap and then tell the viewers what the play was going to be.
South Pender
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:23 pm
Having a vet like Reilly at QB is bound to be an asset to any first time OC.

The one guy who imo, can jump from player to OC without first being a QB Coach is Lulay. He was a de facto QB Coach during his injury recoveries and as BcBenny has said, Lulay has always been a student of the game. I seem to recall seeing a game where Lulay was doing some colour commentary and his analysis from a QB's point of view was like the CFL's version of colour guy Tony Romo. In other words he would look at the Defensive alignment, pre snap and then tell the viewers what the play was going to be.
Yeah, I believe that Travis Lulay could be a great coach. His football IQ is very high, and he has seemed to be an approachable guy who relates well to others.

I wonder, though whether the jump from player directly to OC, might be a little too much too soon. I'd like to see Travis get into the coaching ranks--and with the Lions, of course--but wonder whether a year or so as QB coach might be a good way to ease him into the coaching fraternity. Of course, Travis's own aspirations must factor into this. Does anyone know whether he has expressed an interest in coaching? And, even if so, would he regard this moment to be the right time to jump in?
pennw
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:54 pm
Is anybody else concerned about the Edmonton West stuff?
Not at all , just concerned about all the eye roiling I will be doing when I see the narrative continuing to be spun
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Not at all , just concerned about all the eye roiling I will be doing when I see the narrative continuing to be spun
Fair enough but If the Lions have another bad year in 2020 and Cody Fajardo and other ex-Lions continue to outperform Mike Reilly and the ex-Eskimos in B.C., the narrative will continue.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Travis comes across as one of those rare individuals who could succeed in whatever aspect of the business he chooses to pursue be it coaching, player personnel or the front office. It leaves him with options.

He could continue to develop on the business side which means fairly regular business hours and coming home every night to have dinner with the wife and his young family. Be involved with whatever activities his girls get into.

He could transition over into scouting and pursue a career in player personnel. More time living out of a suitcase and away from family but that is more seasonal in nature. Lots of scouting can be done in the video room in Surrey.

Or he could go the coaching route working ridiculously long hours, lots of road trips and being only a lousy season or coaching change away from having to change addresses to continue in the profession likely leaving the family behind in Blaine for months on end. Coaching does lead to a vagabond lifestyle.

Which path to pursue would be an interesting tug-of-war in Travis' mind between his competitive football juices and desires and instincts to be the consummate family man.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I wonder if it came down to dollars and cents with Maas? Maybe he was offered better money/opportunity in Saskatchewan, which is why he jumped at the Riders' OC position, despite being an Oregon guy and having really close ties to Reilly and having previously worked with Campbell.

This is what he said at his presser:
Jason Maas wrote:Save for Calgary, this is the closet thing to where my family is so it’s just easier. The other places were a little bit different for family atmosphere.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:46 pm
I wonder if it came down to dollars and cents with Maas? Maybe he was offered better money/opportunity in Saskatchewan, which is why he jumped at the Riders' OC position, despite being an Oregon guy and having really close ties to Reilly and having previously worked with Campbell.

This is what he said at his presser:
Jason Maas wrote:Save for Calgary, this is the closet thing to where my family is so it’s just easier. The other places were a little bit different for family atmosphere.

DH :cool:
Always many more factors than simply X$ for position "such and such". More money in Saskatchewan? More responsibilities? McAdoo was AHC in addition to OC. Did he get that or just OC? Was BC wanting an ironclad 2 year commitment versus worrying he'll be leaving first chance he can for an HC job? Were the Riders more accommodating in that regard? Housing is much cheaper in Regina if he wants to actually relocate assuming he has a residence in Edmonton. Much easier and quicker for his family to make a trek to Regina if they are staying behind. So many things can quickly turn it into an apples and oranges comparison.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:53 pm
Travis comes across as one of those rare individuals who could succeed in whatever aspect of the business he chooses to pursue be it coaching, player personnel or the front office. It leaves him with options.

He could continue to develop on the business side which means fairly regular business hours and coming home every night to have dinner with the wife and his young family. Be involved with whatever activities his girls get into.

He could transition over into scouting and pursue a career in player personnel. More time living out of a suitcase and away from family but that is more seasonal in nature. Lots of scouting can be done in the video room in Surrey.

Or he could go the coaching route working ridiculously long hours, lots of road trips and being only a lousy season or coaching change away from having to change addresses to continue in the profession likely leaving the family behind in Blaine for months on end. Coaching does lead to a vagabond lifestyle.

Which path to pursue would be an interesting tug-of-war in Travis' mind between his competitive football juices and desires and instincts to be the consummate family man.
I think you are right.

I have really been impressed and enjoyed his thoughts and comments on the radio pre and post game broadcasts on TSN 1040. I listen on the way to and from the game and he is very, very good. In addition to the coaching or football operations side of the business, I think he could do well in the media side of the business.

My hunch, and I have absolutely no inside info on this so could be totally wrong, is that he would like to get into the coaching side of the business as a next step. I worry that he will leave the Lions which will be a deep loss.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Travis Lulay should be in coaching as he's definitely someone who could be a very good HC also.

Dinwiddie apparently is held in high regard and being with the Stamps suggests he's getting good dev't.

A number of us would appreciate an offence like Kruck used to run here with the Lions. That was some of the most innovative run packages ever for BC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm
pennw wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fair enough but If the Lions have another bad year in 2020 and Cody Fajardo and other ex-Lions continue to outperform Mike Reilly and the ex-Eskimos in B.C., the narrative will continue.
I f the Lions lose a lot this coming season it's not going to be because they have a couple of ex-Eskimos on the roster. But that won't stop the spin . Hence the eye-rolling :roll: To me it seemed more the ex Calgary connection that had to with the poor showing in 2019 , not the fault of Aron Grymes , Gary Peters ,John White or Joel Figueroa . IMO the ex-Esks were among our better players.
pennw
Legend

I get a laugh at the calls for retro- coaches to be brought back , as though time has not moved on . Ya , let's bring back Burratto , maybe Dave Richie , or how bout Bob O'billovich ? Perhaps we could resurrect the Calgary 6-pack offence of the 90's , surely we would dominate the league then . Hey even better lets bring back Wally Bouno !