Which Team Does Lapolice Choose?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which Team Does Lapolice Choose?

Lions
11%
Eskimos
33%
Red Blacks
No votes
Stays with Bombers
56%

Total votes: 9
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lapolice interviewed for the Eskimo job today and will later interview with Ottawa and the Lions. Who do you think he will choose?

I think he will go to Edmonton. It is just a feeling for it is closer to home and I think there is more stability there and a better GM. Both GMS in Ottawa and BC could be out of a job next year if there teams do not make significant improvements.

I think Ottawa will hire an assistant coach. BC a former head coach and Edmonton could go either way.

I like to see Lapolice here, but gut feel say he will choose Edmonton and we settle for Campbell.
maxlion
Legend

First someone has to choose him. I'm not sure that he is at the top of anyone's list, though he is probably in the top 2. Some potential coaches might choose to avoid Ottawa. Campbell is pretty well respected. If he voluntarily walked away, something is wrong there.
David
Team Captain

I chose "Stays with Bombers."

I could be way off base, but I view him as a Winnipeg lifer. I haven't seen any evidence that he has a keen desire to become the head man elsewhere. I think the offer from another club would have to blow him away to get him to leave the Grey Cup Champs.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

LaPolice has a pretty nice gig in Winnipeg. Grass is not also greener on the other side.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm
I chose "Stays with Bombers."

I could be way off base, but I view him as a Winnipeg lifer. I haven't seen any evidence that he has a keen desire to become the head man elsewhere. I think the offer from another club would have to blow him away to get him to leave the Grey Cup Champs.

DH :cool:
I chose the same option. I think LaPolice and his family are comfortable in Winnipeg. It is encouraging though that he has agreed to be interviewed. His stock will never be higher. A three-year head coaching contract for seven figures could lure him out of his comfort zone.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Going to hard to pry LaPo out of Winnipeg and bring him to BC. He has a great situation in Winnipeg. If O'Shea ever leaves or gets fired, LaPo would become the next HC of the Bombers. I don't think the BC job is going to be all that attractive. Too much uncertainty. The next HC could be out of work in 2 years if things don't get turned around, or depending on the whim of the future owner or GM.

Then don't forget the cost of living in Vancouver vs. Winnipeg. Unless he gets a huge salary bump, his family may be better off staying in Winnipeg.
don corleone
Starter

Winnipeg will match any offer but it might not be enough. They are very dependent on Lapo. I could see him getting an offer from Ottawa. Rick Campbell to Edm would not be a huge surprise. Lions could do worse than Jason Maas imo.

I actually thought when there was talk of O'Shea going to TO Richie Hall would have been a better replacement than Lapo. Just a feeling that the players would play for him.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 am
Winnipeg will match any offer but it might not be enough. They are very dependent on Lapo. I could see him getting an offer from Ottawa. Rick Campbell to Edm would not be a huge surprise. Lions could do worse than Jason Maas imo.

I actually thought when there was talk of O'Shea going to TO Richie Hall would have been a better replacement than Lapo. Just a feeling that the players would play for him.
With the FOPS salary cap in place I don't think there's any way Winnipeg could justify matching what would be an offer of HC money to keep LaPolice around in an OC role. Not only would it mean having less to spend on the rest of the coaching and football ops staff it would also mess up their own internal salary structure if they were to be paying their OC similar money to their HC and considerably more than they are paying their other coordinators.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:03 pm
With the FOPS salary cap in place I don't think there's any way Winnipeg could justify matching what would be an offer of HC money to keep LaPolice around in an OC role. Not only would it mean having less to spend on the rest of the coaching and football ops staff it would also mess up their own internal salary structure if they were to be paying their OC similar money to their HC and considerably more than they are paying their other coordinators.
Good post Hambone. Thanks for the response. Lapo has been making big money all along. He could have gotten a head coaching job in 2016 and Bomber fans were all for it. Walters hired Lapo to eliminate him as a threat to OShea as HC in the opinion of many and it took HC$ to do it. It did make the team much better along with the arrival of Andrew Harris. Lapo is probably close to $300,000 right now. How much higher do you go? Good point about the cap though as O'Shea will probably get a huge deal now so we'll see.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

It was not BC as Campbell was hired by Lions today. Lapolice probably did not even interview here. Lapolice goes to the Eskimos I predict.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I would think that if Lapo took on a HC role, the best fit would be Edmonton. I wonder if Campbell interviewed there at all.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy