Down to 3 or 4 - Who Gets the Lions HC Job

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Down to 3 o 4 - Who Gets Lions Head Coaching Job

Rick Campbell
50%
Paul Lapolice
36%
Jason Maas
7%
Tommy Condell
7%

Total votes: 14
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I added Tommy Condell for he is my dark horse candidate and was not the list of last poll. Heard Maas got fired this morning, so he on the list.

My gut feeling says Paul Lapolice will get it, for David Braley wants him and I think he, Rick L will have as much say as Hervey and may overrule Hervey if he wants Maas or Campbell.

I think there are no other serious candidates for Lions job, so down to 3 or 4.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I dunno on this one.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Dave Naylor suggested there could be a reunion with HC Rick Campbell and OC Jason Maas in BC. I'd actually be quite happy with this.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm pulling for LaPolice and I think his chances have improved since the previous poll.
Don Miller
Legend

I would be happy with either one and having a new OC and DC. I would like to see Benny back as DC
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
maxlion
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm
Dave Naylor suggested there could be a reunion with HC Rick Campbell and OC Jason Maas in BC. I'd actually be quite happy with this.
Campbell might need to show that he can bring a credible OC with him given the debacle in Ottawa last year. A Campbell/Maas pairing would be about as good as it gets.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think Edmonton will go hard after Campbell and with his history there and that of his father, I would bet he will end up in Edmonton than BC. If David Braley and Rick L want Lapolice I think they will make the final decision than Ed Hervey. Ed already messed up with Claybrooks in Braley's eyes, so no way they let him go down wrong path in choosing Jason Maas over Lapolice. Campbell may get owner's approval, but I doubt Maas will.

Condell is still the dark horse and his lack of HC experience may rule him out.
Dusty
Champion

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm

I was watching the Grey Cup at a pub and noticed one of the OC's in the booth had a goatee.... a long one at that.... The TV sound was down so I don't know which OC it was.... maybe Condell??

In any case, I think that HC's should look and be professional and a bushy or long goatee is unprofessional.

I want my HC to be clean shaved.... its a short hop from a goatee to all sorts of sartorial miscues.... and we know where that can lead....
BC 1988
Legend

Dusty wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:28 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

I was watching the Grey Cup at a pub and noticed one of the OC's in the booth had a goatee.... a long one at that.... The TV sound was down so I don't know which OC it was.... maybe Condell??

In any case, I think that HC's should look and be professional and a bushy or long goatee is unprofessional.

I want my HC to be clean shaved.... its a short hop from a goatee to all sorts of sartorial miscues.... and we know where that can lead....
lol--yes where do these coaches draw the line? :rotf:
tbh I admit I thought O'Shea had a bit too much of the mountain man beard going on (no doubt to provide insulation against winters chill). However it did not impede his ability to communicate and triumph.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:28 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

While I agree with the general principle that a HC should be professional, a goatee isn't something that I would put on my list of considerations. O'Shea doesn't much look like he jumped from the pages of GQ. I am pretty confident that BB fans aren't thinking about how he looks. Whereas the Calgary Flames coach looks quite professional in suit and tie. If what is alleged about him is true, well, that kind of puts appearance into another perspective. If Claybrooks had delivered a Grey Cup this season, would anyone really care about the hat?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Thinking about Dusty's comment (once I was done laughing) on the excessive goatee wearing coach, here are pics of the HAM staff. Condell is very cleancut.
https://ticats.ca/coaches/
and click through to see pics of the WPG staff.
https://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/
I don't think either team has staff overly fond of dressing in the team shirts depicted.
squishy35
Legend

I think it looks more and more like a Cambell/Maas HC/OC combo here in BC. Which I can get behind. Though, I would prefer a Paul LaPolice HC.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I just hope Jarious Jackson and Rich Stubler have their bags packed.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Farhan, he thinks Stubler is gone, but feels JJ may be back. Hope he is wrong about JJ. I agree they need to move on from him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tommy Condell has declined head coaching interviews in Edmonton, Ottawa and B.C. so the field is narrowing, especially for offensive-minded coaches.

Ticats OC Condell declines CFL head coach interviews with other teams