CFL free agency - negotiating window open

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’m surprised that Konar was re-signed. He’s a local product and second generation Lions’ linebacker but his lack of speed was a major liability on defence and special teams in 2019. Statistically, his best game as a Lion was his first in the season opener, with one defensive tackle and three special teams tackles. He had no stats in the final three games of the season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Me too BCF. Maybe a combination of experience, birth certificate and a bargain basement price making for a viable depth option?

Paris Jackson was far from a starting talent in his last couple of years but was valuable in that Wally could toss him out in any of the receiving positions if somebody went down during the game and not hurt the team. Konar might be able to fill a similar role on defense as an emergency backup at MLB or OLB while playing a role on STs. Being signed and breaking camp on the 46 though are 2 entirely different things
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I almost forgot that Adam Konar actually played for the Lions. Meh.
David
Team Captain

He's actually the Special Teams captain, or at least, he's the one who gives out the ST game ball following a victory, so I assume he's one of the leaders of this team.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cms22
Starter

honestly, i would have had zero idea that adam konar played for the lions last year if i hadn't read it here.

don't think he made much of an impact and the special teams were horrible for much of the season.

don't understand this at all............. should have kept that fullback from alberta/idaho. name escapes me but it was nigerian and a big football name in alberta.
cms22
Starter

was adam a reasonable contributor in edmonton? i'd assume so or hervey wouldn't have signed him
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:02 pm
was adam a reasonable contributor in edmonton? i'd assume so or hervey wouldn't have signed him
Konar was a favourite of Eskimo fans for sure. They thought of him as a legit starter either in the middle or outside. Biggest problem was he could never stay healthy long enough to be relied on. He suited up for 17 games for BC last year compared to 34 over 4 years in Edmonton. 12GP in 2017 was his best season for the Esks.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed Aaron Grymes to a two-year contract, giving them two starters under contract in the secondary. I hope he is healthy to start the season. He will be needed.

LIONS SIGN AARON GRYMES FOR TWO MORE SEASONS
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:55 pm
The Lions have re-signed Aaron Grymes to a two-year contract, giving them two starters under contract in the secondary. I hope he is healthy to start the season. He will be needed.

LIONS SIGN AARON GRYMES FOR TWO MORE SEASONS
Lol. I was wondering if Lee's extension would be closely followed by that of his BFF. Still I thought it might be a piece of business that would be saved for closer to when he's healthy. Guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter one way or the other. I still have a feeling that based on timing of his injury and normal recovery time that he'll start the season on the 6G.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

RedBlacks signed Nick Arbuckle to a 2 year contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/ottawa-redblacks-sig ... -1.1435868
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Happy for the REDBLACKS. I was confident they'd come at an agreement but it took longer than I expected when the trade happened. I predicted it would be done within 2 weeks. It took 4. I guess that narrows Nichols' options down to Toronto and Toronto.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think the Redblacks made the right choice in signing Arbucke over Nichols, given Arbuckle's younger age and better health and accuracy, especially on intermediate and deep passes. I was surprised at how much they paid, though. According to Tim Baines of Postmedia, Arbuckle received a $210,000 signing bonus and could make $470,000 with incentives in 2020 and $495,000 in 2021. Not bad for a guy with 7 career starts.

Two-year deal with Nick Arbuckle gives Ottawa Redblacks a No. 1 QB
cms22
Starter

i see montreal traded lokombo for a 7th round pick........... i am thinking we should have grabbed him.

montreal also cut some other starters.......... bonuses were due.

i didn't realize danny mocioca sp? left university of montreal to be alouettes' GM

he made a big deal about not paying too many players alot of money..... spread the money around more and i presume be very very aggressive and pro-active about bringing in fresh americans.

i .think he's largely right ......... but not sure his theory applies to canadians.

sounded like the injured loffler might be available.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Edmonton has released former B.C. all-star cornerback Anthony Orange, a day before he was reportedly due a $30,000 roster bonus. Injuries limited Orange to just 8 games last year.

Justin Dunk article
maxlion
Legend

Minimum salary went from 54k to 65k. Salary cap rose by 50k. Plus the veteran American ratio will add a premium for some Americans. This is all bound to put some pressure on teams. Could lead to some interesting and unexpected decisions.