CFL free agency - negotiating window open

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

jwbavalon
Rookie

Interesting comment. I'm sorry to see that Chiu is gone as he is a local Richmond lad.
pennw wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:21 pm
One thing seemingly overlooked by many on the improved O-line performance after Chiu was released is the fact the change in center to Philip Norman happened almost at the same time . I don't at all think Kelly Bates isn't a key factor , but in fairness to Chiu , there should be some leeway given in that it may have also have been that the previous centers were not up to snuff. Had he had the luxury of going 3 Americans perhaps he would have been more successful also. Center is , after all , a fairly important spot on the OL .
Having said that I am still happy they made the switch to Kelly Bates , he was after all a career BC Lion and Chiu's loyalty was always with the Als .
[/quote]
maxlion
Legend

pennw wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:21 pm

One thing seemingly overlooked by many on the improved O-line performance after Chiu was released is the fact the change in center to Philip Norman happened almost at the same time . I don't at all think Kelly Bates isn't a key factor , but in fairness to Chiu , there should be some leeway given in that it may have also have been that the previous centers were not up to snuff. Had he had the luxury of going 3 Americans perhaps he would have been more successful also. Center is , after all , a fairly important spot on the OL .
Having said that I am still happy they made the switch to Kelly Bates , he was after all a career BC Lion and Chiu's loyalty was always with the Als .
Lions started 3 Americans on the oline starting August 10 against the Ticats. Chiu was fired on August 30. In the 3 games that Chiu coached with 3 Americans on the line, the opposing team had 18 sacks. In the three games following the firing, the opposing team had only 4 sacks. The difference was pretty obvious and immediate.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed RB Brandon Rutley so the entire position group, including backups and fullbacks, is intact.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to cfl.ca, the Lions have released DE Jonathan Newsome, who was a pending free agent.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am
According to cfl.ca, the Lions have released DE Jonathan Newsome, who was a pending free agent.
No surprise for Campbell released him in Ottawa.
Dusty
Champion

I thought that Newsome added some grit to the DL. He wasn't the fastest player to walk to the sidelines, but coming off the edge, he was getting good penetration. He also was encouraging the crowd to "get loud" which was nice to see. This reminds me of Hardwick and his departure.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:58 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am
No surprise for Campbell released him in Ottawa.
Might be he's taking one last kick at the NFL can but maybe Campbell knows things we don't about his character. His tenure with the Riders also ended suddenly with an early season release after week 2 of the 2017 season. He had recorded a pick in his last game there and was released 3 days later. Last year in Ottawa he had 1 def tackle abd 3 special teams tackles after 6 games before getting cut.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Danny O’Brien has officially retired, according to cfl.ca. That leaves the Lions with 5 QBs, including pending free agent Brandon Bridge.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:07 pm
Danny O’Brien has officially retired, according to cfl.ca. That leaves the Lions with 5 QBs, including pending free agent Brandon Bridge.
Not that there was much threat of him returning no matter how much Reilly liked him. Wonder what Campbell thought of his old REDBLACK backup?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed Shaq Johnson to a one-year contract. That gives them four returning starting receivers: nationals Johnson, Lemar Durant and Jevon Cottoy and CFL all-star Bryan Burnham. Duron Carter's WR spot is still open for a developing American prospect such as Joey Augustin or an established CFL free agent if Ed Hervey opts to sign one.

https://www.bclions.com/2019/12/19/lions-lock-shaq-johnson-2020/
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 am
The Lions have re-signed Shaq Johnson to a one-year contract. That gives them four returning starting receivers: nationals Johnson, Lemar Durant and Jevon Cottoy and CFL all-star Bryan Burnham. Duron Carter's WR spot is still open for a developing American prospect such as Joey Augustin or an established CFL free agent if Ed Hervey opts to sign one.

https://www.bclions.com/2019/12/19/lions-lock-shaq-johnson-2020/
That's great news. The Lions need to be economical about that 5th receiver as they need to spend money elsewhere. It would be nice to see Augustin get a chance considering he's put in his time on the PR.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

No disrespect to Augustin but I hope Hunter's crew can hunt down a young newcomer who will make us ask Joey Who? Ed's going to need his FA loonies for the D side of the ball. I don't see him taking a run at any significant FA receivers unless he gets them at bargain bin prices. Having said that reuniting Derel Walker with Reilly sure is enticing.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Adam Konar just re-signed for 1 year. If he is going to be a backup linebacker I don't like this signing if he is due to make $150,000 or more. That is too much for a back up and I barely noticed him last year and I watched most of the games.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:51 pm
Adam Konar just re-signed for 1 year. If he is going to be a backup linebacker I don't like this signing if he is due to make $150,000 or more. That is too much for a back up and I barely noticed him last year and I watched most of the games.
Where did the $150k figure for Konar come from?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I thought someone said he was making close to $150,000 last year. Maybe not, but I am sure it is over $100,000. But it is just a guess. He was released by Eskimos for he wanted too much money.

Does someone know how much Konar made last year? I am sure he got a raise.