2019 Grey Cup Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

QB Club 63
All Star

Is it just me or does anybody else get the impression that ZLions lost a big bet on the Ticats? :tease:

Since when is it wrong for a coach to smile "from time to time". Maybe the context behind one of those irksome smiles was when Steinauer got the news that Banks was done for the game, and it was a "Why can't we catch a break?" smile?

Note to future BC Lions coaching candidates: If you want your players to perform well, always wear your hat straight, and NEVER smile on the sidelines. :clown:

Sheesh!
BC 1988
Legend

This GC was underwhelming for me mainly because I didn't have a rooting interest for either team (unlike all the CGY appearances where it was always anyone but them). In this scenario, you at least hope for a close competitive contest. After the first few turnovers, it was obvious that the HAM O-line was not up for this game. WPG was unable to fully capitalize on those turnover opportunities, at least preventing it from being an early blowout.

The halftime show had decent production values--I liked the Carrie Underwood "duet" from the video screens. The Safeway Wally Buono ad
that immediately followed was odd--it had as much promotion for his son Mike's Buono Osteria restaurant as for Safeway.

HAM now assumes the title of longest GC drought since 1999, the next longest are MTL 2010 and BC 2011.

WPG has the Argos to thank for Collaros being available at just the right time. When SSK dealt him to TOR, O'Day admitted that there had been zero interest from anyone else. He would have come in very handy with Fajardo barely able to play with two torn oblique muscle tears.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:58 pm
Andrew Harris is the first player to be named the most outstanding player and most outstanding Canadian in the Grey Cup.

When a good ex-Lion later on does well for another team, then there's always the talk of lamenting on how it was bad to have lost that player and how the Lions should have done a better job retaining that good player. The best example in Lions history would be Doug Flutie.

But in light of Andrew Harris' great double-award performance as a Blue Bomber last night, then does Andrew Harris fall in the same category of " what would have been?". :bang: :roll: :-? :sigh:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
VictoriaFan
Starter

have to admit that before half time I was unfamiliar with Keith Urbans music, and now I can safely say I chose to remain unfamiliar with his music
BC 1988
Legend

VictoriaFan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 am
have to admit that before half time I was unfamiliar with Keith Urbans music, and now I can safely say I chose to remain unfamiliar with his music
I agree about the music, but I'm not a country fan--unless it's more of the rock (eg. John Mellencamp) than the adult contemporary (which is what Urban did for the show) shade of country. The production was good though. When they had him in the booth during 3rd quarter pxp, it's fortunate the game was pretty much a snoozer at that time. Otherwise it would have been very annoying.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:58 pm
Andrew Harris is the first player to be named the most outstanding player and most outstanding Canadian in the Grey Cup.

When a good ex-Lion later on does well for another team, then there's always the talk of lamenting on how it was bad to have lost that player and how the Lions should have done a better job retaining that good player. The best example in Lions history would be Doug Flutie.

But in light of Andrew Harris' great double-award performance as a Blue Bomber last night, then does Andrew Harris fall in the same category of " what would have been?". :bang: :roll: :-? :sigh:
Yeah, I would say so. I don't know what it was with Buono and Harris. Harris had a heck of a time cracking the regular line up when it was apparent that there was boat loads of talent. Buono didn't seem to be particularly reticent about being critical of him either. Given how many seasons he has had since he left BC, it seems that BC should have tried harder to keep him. But that goes back to what I think was Wally's biggest flaw. He tended to have very fixed ideas about things and was never one to seemingly question himself. Harris will be a HOF'er and deservedly so. He overcame a great deal to find his success including a HC that didn't seem to appreciate him as much as he should have.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if Sukh Chung has any regrets leaving the Bombers to sign with the Lions
ZLions
Rookie

QB Club 63 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:45 pm
Is it just me or does anybody else get the impression that ZLions lost a big bet on the Ticats? :tease:

Since when is it wrong for a coach to smile "from time to time". Maybe the context behind one of those irksome smiles was when Steinauer got the news that Banks was done for the game, and it was a "Why can't we catch a break?" smile?

Note to future BC Lions coaching candidates: If you want your players to perform well, always wear your hat straight, and NEVER smile on the sidelines. :clown:

Sheesh!
Haha, I wrote those posts right after the Grey Cup game when I was in a state of raw frustration. Still though, with Hamilton having the best regular season record against the upstart Blue Bombers, this was supposed to go down as one of those classic Grey Cup games with both teams playing with heart, grit and integrity. Hamilton as we all know showed anything but, it seemed like they were contempt with letting the time run out rather than battle till the end.

I have several screenshots of the Hamilton coach smiling all throughout the game. It was almost as if every time the camera was on him he was grinning like this was all a joke. The players clearly followed his demeanour because Hamilton showed absolutely ZERO urgency in the third and fourth quarter. This isn't any regular season game, this is the Grey Cup we’re talking about here. Hamilton should absolutely publicly apologize to all football fans in Canada for making us witness that lacklustre performance, if they haven’t already. It’s one thing to lose the big game, but to lose it in this manner? Cmon now. I’m happy for Winnipeg, but can’t help but feel sorry for the good folks in Hamilton.

I apologize if my frustration seems overboard, which it probably is, but I personally don’t really get the chance to watch full CFL games anymore. However, I made sure to tune in to the Grey Cup this year. Needless to say, I really expecting a much more classic CFL game than this.
ZLions
Rookie

I digress however. Orlondo Steinauer had a superb season, and it’s even more impressive that this was his rookie year. He seems like a great guy as well. I shouldn’t have been so critical of him.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

QB Club 63 wrote:

Sheesh!
Lol. Lionbackers criteria for an HC candidate:
Not allowed to smile under adversity like Steineaur.
Not allowed to display a fiery personality like Maas, Rapp, Ritchie and at times Dave Dickenson.
Not allowed to have a beard like O'Shea.
Not allowed to wear your hat slightly off centre like Claybrooks.
Not allowed to wear your hat backwards like Benevides.
Not allowed to wear shorts like Claybrooks and O'Shea even in the heat of the summer.
Not allowed to wear a shirt and tie like Mike Kelly.
Not allowed to squint like Wally.

Edit: And I forgot must where a headset so you can meddle in the play calling you've delegated and entrusted to your coordinators.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:43 pm
QB Club 63 wrote:

Sheesh!
Lol. Lionbackers criteria for an HC candidate:
Not allowed to smile under adversity like Steineaur.
Not allowed to display a fiery personality like Maas, Rapp, Ritchie and at times Dave Dickenson.
Not allowed to have a beard like O'Shea.
Not allowed to wear your hat slightly off centre like Claybrooks.
Not allowed to wear your hat backwards like Benevides.
Not allowed to wear shorts like Claybrooks and O'Shea even in the heat of the summer.
Not allowed to wear a shirt and tie like Mike Kelly.
Not allowed to squint like Wally.
Campbell passed all these criteria so he was the obvious choice. :wink:
VictoriaFan
Starter

Squint like Wally, Lol or chew your nails
jwbavalon
Rookie

How true Hambone but I just want a coach to put together 60 minutes of exciting football and come out with a win. He can be the "emperor has no clothes", but who cares. I understand the job is also a PR exercise but at the end of the day it is more of "what have you done for me". Win games and fill seats. The new capitalism.

Go Lions Go
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

jwbavalon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 pm
How true Hambone but I just want a coach to put together 60 minutes of exciting football and come out with a win. He can be the "emperor has no clothes", but who cares. I understand the job is also a PR exercise but at the end of the day it is more of "what have you done for me". Win games and fill seats. The new capitalism.

Go Lions Go
Absolutely. Imagine a coach wearing fedora like Frank Clair, Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry today? The social media mockery would be massive. Anybody remember when Robbie Ftorek had the audacity to wear a sweater over his shirt instead of a tie when he coached in the NHL?

If results are there my coach can wear a tutu and one of those beanies with a propeller on top for all I care. And I'll be happy with a 12-6 record with 12 of the ugliest boring wins imaginable. As Al Davis liked to say "Just win baby".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't forget, not allowed to smoke or chew tobacco on the sidelines.