Will Jason Maas Be Fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will Jason Maas Be Fired

Yes
29%
Yes and will be the Lions new HC
No votes
Yes and will be the Lions new OC
14%
No, Harris was hurt for part of season and he will be given another chance.
57%

Total votes: 7
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Yes. I think he will and think he will be our new OC, but not the HC
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think he’ll be fired but pride will prevent him from accepting an OC position for next year. I’m not sure how well he and Rick Campbell got along. If he is going to accept an OC position anywhere, his past relationships with Campbell, Ed Hervey and Mike Reilly would likely make B.C. his first choice.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't know about the future of Jason Maas but he has had several years to try and put it all together but in the 4 years he has been there, I don't think they have finished better than 3rd and they seem to be back sliding. I think he is done and he had plenty of time to put together a strong team. Just doesn't seem to be able to get over that hump.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure why he'd be fired. QB hurt as noted and they lost some players didn't they to the NFL?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Yes I believe Maas will be fired. I doubt he will take an OC job in 2020 as he can do other things with his time and still collect a HC salary from Edmonton. He can take a year to work on his image (maybe take some anger management classes?). A gig with TSN would do wonders to rehabilitate his image, just ask LaPo and Benny about that.

There is an outside possibility that he could become the HC/OC in BC, if Hervey can't get Campbell or LaPolice, but I think Maas is toxic enough right now for even Hervey to resist the urge to hire an ex-Eskimo as the Lions next HC.

There will no doubt be an OC job waiting for Maas somewhere in 2021 when he comes off the Eskimo payroll. Maybe even a HC position. Just hopefully not in BC.
VictoriaFan
Starter

not sure if he'll be fired, kind of slim in the head coaching ranks with Campbell , Claybrooks and probably Chaimberlain being bounced
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't see Maas coaching in the CFL in 2020 in any capacity that doesn't contain HC in the title. It's extremely rare for a fired CFL HC to accept a lesser role in the season after being dusted. Typically they either land on their feet immediately by filling another HC vacancy or they take the year off from coaching to see what CFL HC jobs might materialize either during the season or in the following offseason. Just about as sure as death and taxes some CFL team will have the "Help Wanted" sign up to fill a coaching vacancy within the next 12 months. If they do wind up taking an immediate step back into a coordinator or position coach job it is in another league or in the college ranks. I honestly could see him looking towards an NCAA QBC job before taking anything less than HC in the CFL.

Maas turns 44 tomorrow. He is ambitious. With a taste for the top job he will be willing to wait for a bit to see if another HC job comes up. There is also a risk for any team thinking of him in an OC job. Because he will have a strong desire to get another HC job sooner than later a team hiring him as OC will do so knowing they could well be looking for another OC in 2021. For BC that would mean 3rd OC in 3 years which is never good. I think the new HC Hervey hires will be wanting to hire an OC who is committed to a 2 year or more deal. They will want someone who is a low flight risk after year 1. Maas would be a high flight risk who very well could insist on a max one year deal.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.