2019 PLAYOFFS - THE DIVISIONAL FINALS

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, Sunday's not far off, and while we've been fairly preoccupied with goings on in the Lions den these past few days, things are taking shape in preparation for the semifinals.

I've now seen some of the media/writers' opinions/predictions and while I understand that the Montreal/Edmonton match-up can be viewed as a toss-up, I actually favour Edmonton due to their experienced QB (i.e. Trevor Harris over Vernon Adams Jr.)

In the West would have liked to see one of the scribes boldly go with Winnipeg over Calgary. Since none of the media did (so far as I've seen) I thought I'd stick my neck out and hope that Andrew Harris has the game of his life on offence and that Willie Jefferson has the game of his life on defence and the Bombers manage to make a game of it.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ed and mtl are 2 of my 3 least favorite teams in cfl and 2 of my 6 least favorite teams in all of NA. I will be watching the Saints.

sure do hope WPG gets it done as CAL is the 3rd of my 3 least favorite CFL teams.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

For me, the Als and VAjr have been the story of the 2019 season thus far. I would love to see them extend their season for at least another game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't like Jason Maas or Mike O'Shea but I'm pulling for Winnipeg and Montreal. Calgary has been to the Grey Cup three years in a row. I'm sure that's a factor in the decline in Grey Cup ratings in recent years. It's time for a change. Montreal is a feel-good story with Khari Jones and Vernon Adams stepping in and turning around a struggling franchise.

I'm not sure who I'd cheer for in the divisional finals but a Hamilton-Winnipeg Grey Cup would guarantee that one of the two longest Cup droughts would be broken. Winnipeg hasn't won since 1990 and Hamilton since 1999. Both of those Grey Cup games were held at B.C. Place. A Saskatchewan-Hamilton Grey Cup would be great for ratings and stadium atmosphere in Calgary.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Montreal will be without both Posey and Matthews which hurts them.

My predictions are Calgary and Edmonton winning. Montreal is without 2 of their big offensive guns and I think that will be the difference. Eskimos have nothing to lose and I think they will pull it out and Harris will have a big game.

Calgary has the Bombers number and Bombers will lose again.
David
Team Captain

Choosing between Winnipeg and Calgary is like being forced to eat either brussel sprouts or cauliflower when you're a kid.

I think the Stamps will win due to Winnipeg's quarterbacking issues. Collaros? He's still fairly new to the team. He had a good debut but playoffs are a different animal. If Winnipeg can't bring in Streveler to run their short-yardage and tempo packages (and it's sounding like his foot/ankle injuries are severe enough to keep him out) their offence will be more limited. Advantage Stamps.

I suppose I hope Winnipeg wins. The Stamps always seem to represent the West in the Grey Cup. I want the league to succeed, but I am against greed and sorry, a $419 price point for the championship is gouging IMO. Tickets aren't moving all that well and Winnipeg in the Grey Cup (not Saskatchewan or Calgary) will leave lots of empty seats, showing GC organizers that pricing needs to be fair!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here's a handy "Who's In, Who's Out" players status report for the semis. from cfla.ca:
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/09/status-re ... s-semis-3/
The personnel details in this report IMO only further accentuate both an Edmonton and a Calgary advantage.
I'm still hoping for the opposite results, but Winnipeg and Montreal look to have an extremely uphill battle.
I've no love for Montreal, but I detest the EE., always have and always will.
And I never find myself cheering for Calgary. It just doesn't happen.
So, alas, I think I'll be a glum fellow by tomorrow evening. Still hope I'll be surprised!
But then there's still Sol E, Manny, and Fajardo waiting in the wings behind their Green curtain for the West final--I wish them well!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

And here's a mildly sassy read from 3DownN's Josh Smith, ranking the playoff teams' "likability" :
https://3downnation.com/2019/11/09/lika ... off-teams/
I don't fully subscribe to his thinking on individual players (e.g. Andrew Harris) but it's a fun read.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Sask vs Edmonton Grey Cup in Calgary
Wear orange or wear nothing
VictoriaFan
Starter

Friend of mine is the father of Corey Mace, DLC of Calgary, he emailed me and said now that your Lions are out I guess you are rooting for Calgary, I said Go Bombers!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

In the East the story so far is QB Trevor Harris going 15 for 15 and they're into the second quarter. Whereas Montreal has a TD on Special Teams to add to their tally, and it's currently a 2-point game (15-13) with a handful of minutes left in the first half.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great game . Trevor Harris is unstoppable so far. Rod Black is nauseating listening to him talking about Harris after every pass attempt.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Trevor Harris better slow down or he not get to play for Rick Campbell next year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Harris completed 23 of 24 passes for 257 yards in the first half but the Alouettes also moved the ball well and made some big plays to keep the score close.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I would take a volatile Jason Maas and taking over the offensive playcalling as HC over another year of Jarious Jackson's offence. Although a win today could mean he isn't going anywhere.