Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

LaPolice's wife is from Winnipeg.

As a OC he prefers to call plays from the booth but of course as a HC he would need to call plays from the sidles. This could negatively impact his play calling.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:44 pm
As a OC he prefers to call plays from the booth but of course as a HC he would need to call plays from the sidles. This could negatively impact his play calling.
I was thinking of that yesterday. I tried to recall what LaPolice did when he was Winnipeg head coach from 2010 to 2012 and whether he had an offensive coordinator. Does anyone remember?

Dave Dickenson, Jason Maas and other CFL and NFL head coaches seem to have no issue with calling plays from the sidelines and using a headset to talk to assistant coaches upstairs.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm
I tried to recall what LaPolice did when he was Winnipeg head coach from 2010 to 2012 and whether he had an offensive coordinator. Does anyone remember?
I seem to recall Jamie Barresi was OC for at least part of the time LaPolice was head coach of the Bombers.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm
I tried to recall what LaPolice did when he was Winnipeg head coach from 2010 to 2012 and whether he had an offensive coordinator. Does anyone remember?
I seem to recall Jamie Barresi was OC for at least part of the time LaPolice was head coach of the Bombers.

Per stats.cfldb Barresi was OC in 2010 and 2011. Gary Crowton was OC in 2012.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's a good summary of the coaching opportunities around the league from Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor. It sounds like LaPolice has a good shot at the Lions' job with David Braley advocating for him and Ed Hervey seeking an offensive-minded coach to get maximum value out of Mike Reilly. Rick Campbell will need to have a strong OC candidate in his pocket when he interviews at the end of the week, and Joe Paopao won't be strong enough, as nice a guy as Joe is.

These comments, by the way, were made before the Grey Cup. LaPolice's stock has likely risen since then.
Farhan Lalji: “Former Ottawa Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell is still the frontrunner and I understand there’s going to be an interview between GM Ed Hervey, president Rick LeLacheur, and Campbell at the end of the coming week. Two other names, the offensive coordinators for both Grey Cup teams, Tommy Condell of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Paul LaPolice of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, are also expected to get heavy consideration.

“From Ed Hervey’s standpoint, he wants to make sure that he can do everything he can to take advantage of offensive minds and offensive support around quarterback Mike Reilly. That’s a real priority for him. And given what happened with DeVone Claybrooks, I think experience is another priority; ideally a former head coach but if not, somebody who’s had plenty of mileage around the league.
Coaching Carousel: Campbell expected to interview with Lions
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lapolice wants the Lions job? He will want a 3 year contract and big money and maybe assurances he will not be fired after 1 year as Claybrooks was. Ottawa may be interested in him too, but Ottawa has a major rebuilding job and no QB and I don't think Arbuckle is the answer, for he is still an unknown. If Masoli leaves Ham and signs there that is a different story. But Lapolice may be concerned about BC's stability and his after Claybrooks had a short leash. He may decide to stay in Winnipeg if he does not think BC or Ottawa is a desirable job to have and wait till next year.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I still think Campbell ends up with the job and Lapolice turns BC down or wants too much term or money.
Dusty
Champion

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:35 pm
I still think Campbell ends up with the job and Lapolice turns BC down or wants too much term or money.
If the job "musts" are offensive thinking/experience and HC experience, what do we gain with Campbell?

My recollection may be faulty but isn't his background in the defensive side of the ball? His teams did well when they had Elizondo as OC, but was that the OC or the HC. I suspect the OC. Unless Maas is in the mix, he seems to be the only one with recent HC experience (Lapo was years ago) and offensive thinking/experience

I think that it is good that BC is interviewing Campbell early on, and I hope that the brain trust also interviews Condell and Lapolice. I'd even be happy to see Elizondo checked out to see if he was a potential.

There is always a front-runner in these matters, but this time, I hope the brain trust has a wider pool than last time.... which seemed more of a coronation than a selection.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 am
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:35 pm
If the job "musts" are offensive thinking/experience and HC experience, what do we gain with Campbell?

My recollection may be faulty but isn't his background in the defensive side of the ball? His teams did well when they had Elizondo as OC, but was that the OC or the HC. I suspect the OC. Unless Maas is in the mix, he seems to be the only one with recent HC experience (Lapo was years ago) and offensive thinking/experience

I think that it is good that BC is interviewing Campbell early on, and I hope that the brain trust also interviews Condell and Lapolice. I'd even be happy to see Elizondo checked out to see if he was a potential.

There is always a front-runner in these matters, but this time, I hope the brain trust has a wider pool than last time.... which seemed more of a coronation than a selection.
Campbell does seem and feel like the "safe" choice. Lions have had one offensive minded head coach in last 20 years and that was Tedford. No it didn't go well but at least Jennings was brought along nicely and he forced Braley to spend money on new technology such as Ipads for the players which he was accustomed to in NCAA Div. 1.

I kind of chuckled when I heard Wally has been asked to be a consultant for the Montreal GM job as his replacement here was his hiring and it exactly hasn't gone too well. He also got rid of Khari Jones as our OC for Jarious Jackson.
Would also like to to know why Neil McElvoy was never considered for the GM job here or elsewhere when he was being groomed under Wally for years.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's a crime against football and the CFL that Damon Allen is not a coach in the CFL.

This guy is the Gretzky of the CFL. He knew not to take unneeded hits and he kept in the game. That alone is a lot to teach a young QB.

This is the consummate pro who gets knocked unfairly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Though I think Campbell may get the job, I am hoping Lapolice gets it for the reasons some have listed above. I think we need a great offensive minded coach and dump JJ. If Maas stays in Edmonton, then I think it is a 2 horse race between Campbell and Lapolice and if Braley has a say, then Lapolice may get it if he wants it.
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm
It's a crime against football and the CFL that Damon Allen is not a coach in the CFL.

This guy is the Gretzky of the CFL. He knew not to take unneeded hits and he kept in the game. That alone is a lot to teach a young QB.

This is the consummate pro who gets knocked unfairly.
Respectfully, I don't make any correlation whatsoever between playing proficiency and being an effective coach. If there were, then Gretzky would still be coaching in the NHL. His 5-year career coaching record is 143W 161L 24T whereas as a plodding goon like Craig Berube has won a Stanley Cup.

There are so many variables that go into coaching. Effective communication, motivation (may be different depending on the player), good tactician to match his players' skills etc.

I am also a bit skeptical of Damon deciding that he wants to be an OC now, so long after retirement. Good coaches live and breath their craft and are willing to start from the ground up. They don't drift into it 12-13 years after hanging 'em up. Just IMO.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Condell is Hamilton's OC. Any consideration given to him. Their offense did extremely well this year and it did years past when he was the OC. He also won a Grey Cup with the Argo's as Receiver's Coach. Perhaps that could be the offensive mind that could be had.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:07 am
Condell is Hamilton's OC. Any consideration given to him. Their offense did extremely well this year and it did years past when he was the OC. He also won a Grey Cup with the Argo's as Receiver's Coach. Perhaps that could be the offensive mind that could be had.
Completely agree! You don't take a back-up QB who had thrown 42 career passes and go 15-3 with a Grey Cup appearance by accident. Condell did a fanastic job with Evans and the entire offence. I know JC Abbott from Three Down Nation is extremely high on him.

My fear is Hervey and even Braley will be gun shy on hiring a head coach with no previous HC experience after Claybrooks.
squishy35
Legend

Well... Maas has just been canned by the Eskimos... https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/27/esks-part ... 5tNIdKVA1Q