Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
maxlion
Legend

I can't imagine a team taking a risk on Allen as OC, and I say that as someone who always respected his opinions and knowledge. I'd perhaps hire him as an offensive consultant and go from there.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, after saying what I said about how I remember Damon Allen (in light of his expressed interest in becoming an OC) I decided I best research a bit about the man, i.e. how he presents himself these days, and somewhat to my surprise he doesn't come across as aloof or non-communicative at all. Perhaps he was never that way to any great extreme and it's just my perception of him. I viewed several different recent-day video clips, and he communicated very well and seemed quite personable. In case anyone's interested, for example here's a rather innovative parking-lot scenario wherein he's spreading the news re digital prostate exams. http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/201 ... m-project/ I figure if he can present that with ease he should be OK with most anything! I also watched an impressive speech he gave last year when inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame. Very well-spoken, and obviously still passionate about football.
Dusty
Champion

The fact that Allen says that he can step into an OC position as his first professional coaching position says a lot about his egotistical thinking. If he wanted to start CFL coaching as an offensive consultantor or QB coach, he might have a chance to develop as a coach. To think he can walk in and start as an OC does a disservice to other coaches who have worked hard to develop their skills over time.

As a player, I was never impressed by his demonstrated ability to "almost " play good enough for a win. His time in BC was the only time I called into a post game radio show and said I was going to cancel my ST unless he was gone. Thankfully, he was.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for posting that Ernie. It would be nice to think that he has changed over time; I always thought he had a bit of chip on his shoulder (maybe that was his MO to be most effective?).

Anyway, I'm with Dusty. First pay your dues. QB coach, offensive assistant etc. Besides, if I am pulling for any ex-QB to step into an offence, it's Travis Lulay.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Oh, for sure, guys. You gotta pay your dues. I wasn't advocating for Damon A. taking on OC responsibilities with us by any means. I was just adjusting my take on the guy, based on the way he comes across these days in speeches and interactions I sampled online. (And I suppose one could argue there's a fine line between being egotistical and being self-confident.)

But, yeah, his suggestion about jumping right in to being OC in our league reminded me of Jeff Garcia a couple years ago seeing no reason why he couldn't handle the Lion's HC job, based on but half a year's experience as QB coach (with Montreal I think it was). Self-confidence to such a high degree can be tricky to sort through. But indeed, paying your dues... that's the ticket.

Agreed, I'd love to witness Travis L. blossom into some such role as OC. I wonder though if he's concluded that family life going forward will be a lot easier if he stays where he is in the operations side of things with the Lions. More regular hours and more job security on the long run. He's a family man. That will be an interesting career trajectory to follow.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Paul LaPolice bolstered his coaching reputation with a balanced and creative game plan in the Grey Cup, using all of his weapons (3 passers, 8 receivers and 186 rushing yards) and keeping the league’s top defensive team off balance all day. Mike O’Shea isn’t going anywhere in the foreseeable future after bringing the Grey Cup to Winnipeg for the first time in 29 years. LaPolice can write his own ticket in B.C., Toronto or Ottawa if he wants to be a head coach again.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:05 pm
Paul LaPolice bolstered his coaching reputation with a balanced and creative game plan in the Grey Cup, using all of his weapons (3 passers, 8 receivers and 186 rushing yards) and keeping the league’s top defensive team off balance all day. Mike O’Shea isn’t going anywhere in the foreseeable future after bringing the Grey Cup to Winnipeg for the first time in 29 years. LaPolice can write his own ticket in B.C., Toronto or Ottawa if he wants to be a head coach again.
I will take him here. Time for an offence-minded head coach with a deep CFL background. Campbell's hiring would still leave a big question mark at OC and even a slim chance Jarious Jackson is retained.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:13 pm
"Hmm..." indeed, B.C.FAN.
Interesting to me that he sees himself that way, i.e. as cut out to be part of a coaching staff in this way. He might well be right about his insight and expertise, but I seem to recall he was fairly aloof, and fairly non-communicative, and carrying a fairly big ego. Not sure if he's still the way I seem to remember him, but if so, I wouldn't think those are the best traits to bring into a coaching environment. Fellow coaches on the staff might not find it easy to work alongside him. Just my thoughts, based on old memories... I could be mistaken. In fact I could be dead wrong -- he might be brilliant. I have to wonder though. I'll give him this though -- he says some good things about how to be a creative OC, i.e. building one's system around the particular talents on the roster.
^^^ I agree. Allen wouldn't be my first choice for a guy to go from player to OC for most of the reasons listed above. If I was going to pick someone to go from player to OC without first being a QB coach, it would be Lulay.

Buck Pierce, who has been a QB coach in LaPolice's offence for a while is probably ready to be a OC.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I agree I would prefer Lapolice over Campbell. He devised a brilliant game plan way better than Tommy Condell and he would be my first choice over Campbell to be Lions next coach and I think he is Braley's first choice, but I think Hervey prefers Campbell. I actually hope Braley and the President have some say and overrule Hervey if he wants to choose Campbell over Lapolice. If Campbell is chosen I think Jackson is back and that would be bad.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:00 pm
Hmm . . .
CALGARY — Hall of Fame quarterback Damon Allen has warmed up his throwing arm and is ready to toss his hat into the ring.

The 56-year-old from San Diego, who retired in 2008 after a starry 23-year career, said he has hired agent Gil Scott to help secure a job in the Canadian Football League as an offensive co-ordinator.

“It’s the position I’m capable of,” Allen said here Friday. “It’s a quarterback-driven league and I have a feel for the defence and the eye of a quarterback. I understand both sides of the ball. I have great passion for the game, great experience.”

With head coaching vacancies in Ottawa and B.C., and changes possible in at least two other cities, there will be opportunities for assistants. Allen said he has been asked many times by fans and friends why he hasn’t already pursued a coaching job.

“It’s always been about being in the right situation. You have to understand all the necessary things that go along with coaching to be able to prepare for it. So I think this time around, I am much more prepared. I understand the position and the opportunity is there. That’s why I’m throwing my hat into the coaching ring.”

Damon Allen seeking offensive co-ordinator post in the CFL
Halfback shovel passes for everyone!

No thanks.
Dusty
Champion

Based on yesterdays game, I would have to agree with BC Fan that LaPolice and O'Shea increased their bargaining positions, while Condell and Washington decreased theirs.

I'm surprised that winning the Grey Cup would ensure O'Shea stays in Winnipeg. Wouldn't it increase his lure to the Toronto franchise as a "Winner"? Being a winner always plays well in Toronto.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 am
Based on yesterdays game, I would have to agree with BC Fan that LaPolice and O'Shea increased their bargaining positions, while Condell and Washington decreased theirs.

I'm surprised that winning the Grey Cup would ensure O'Shea stays in Winnipeg. Wouldn't it increase his lure to the Toronto franchise as a "Winner"? Being a winner always plays well in Toronto.
O'Shea can write his own ticket if he wants to return to Toronto but Winnipeg GM Kyle Walters said last week that the Bombers want him back and that O'Shea wants to be back.
“I’ve looked Mike in eye and told him I want him to be the head coach next year. He’s looked me in the eye and told me he wants to be back. There’s a whole lot of things that go between … getting a signed contract for him.

“We’re not going to worry about that. What we talked about is a good start. Him and I will sit down, win or lose, and try and get something sorted out.”
Bombers GM confident signing head coach Mike O’Shea to contract extension won’t be an issue
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 am
Dusty wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 am

O'Shea can write his own ticket if he wants to return to Toronto but Winnipeg GM Kyle Walters said last week that the Bombers want him back and that O'Shea wants to be back.
“I’ve looked Mike in eye and told him I want him to be the head coach next year. He’s looked me in the eye and told me he wants to be back. There’s a whole lot of things that go between … getting a signed contract for him.

“We’re not going to worry about that. What we talked about is a good start. Him and I will sit down, win or lose, and try and get something sorted out.”
Bombers GM confident signing head coach Mike O’Shea to contract extension won’t be an issue
And Wade Miller/Kyle Walters patience in Mike O'Shea paid off too. Bombers have had some pretty big collapses over the years including the 2016 semi-final here.

Not making the Lions look good with their quick trigger finger on Claybrooks tenure. And how potential candidates view the BC situation will be a factor too if stability means anything in their decision.
David
Team Captain

Not to be a pessimist but I can't see Lapo coming here. I don't know that he has ties to the West Coast or Hervey, or anyone on the Lions for that matter.

Ottawa or Toronto (if they decide to fire Chamblin...I'm hearing they just intend to replace some of the coaches around him) seem likely destinations to me. A move to Ottawa would be a semi-comparable move for a guy who's happy in Winnipeg and concerned about the best situation for his family.

Toronto makes sense as they would likely pony up a huge incentive deal for Lapo and he spent considerable time in that market when he was part of the TSN panel.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I quickly posed the coach question to The Moj as he was passing by in the Spirit of Edmonton room Saturday night. He says Campbell.

I do think O'Shea will stay in Winnipeg but Toronto may have something to offer the Bombers might not be able to match and that is the GM hat to go with HC. I don't know if O'Shea has any aspirations to get involved in that part of the business but I don't think for a minute that Pinball is interested in being Argo GM any longer than it takes to find a suitable replacement for himself. Could we see another Chris Jones "win GC then leave" move with the exception of course that O'Shea wouldn't be bringing his entire staff with him?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.