Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:27 pm
Rick Dhaliwal reporting that Rick Campbell is the guy, and that he would be surprised if Campbell isn’t the next head coach of the BC Lions.
If that's the case then Hervey should just forget about considering anybody else and hire Campbell now before he has other HC opportunities to consider like maybe Edmonton or Toronto. Heck who knows what might happen in Winnipeg. They can't seem to get over the hump hosting only 1 playoff game in 6 years under O'Shea. If he came available he'd be the guy I'd love to see out this way.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Yea, I would be more than okay with O'Shea but I somehow see him joining Pinball in Toronto than heading West. I don't know if he has any relationship with Hervey (don't underestimate friendships and familiarity when it comes to hiring).

O'Shea's Bomber teams always seem to be well-prepared and motivated. Campbell would be a good choice too but, like with O'Shea, I want to ensure we have a top-flight OC if he's the guy.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:10 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:27 pm
Rick Dhaliwal reporting that Rick Campbell is the guy, and that he would be surprised if Campbell isn’t the next head coach of the BC Lions.
If that's the case then Hervey should just forget about considering anybody else and hire Campbell now before he has other HC opportunities to consider like maybe Edmonton or Toronto. Heck who knows what might happen in Winnipeg.
I agree. But Campbell might not be in a rush to sign. Probably in his best interests to see what other opportunities present themselves, unless BC is his first choice too.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jason Maas and Mike O’Shea get to keep their jobs for at least one more week, and that’s fine with me. Maybe Dave Dickenson will become available. :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If you look at HC coaches in Orlando S., Craig D, and Khari Jones - you see success.

Not sure why Condell would not get a look as his experience was the equal of Steinhauer.

I don't see Maas being on the market given how his QB got hurt.

What I don't like is how Hervey has little to no process meaning he got lucky twice, failed this time out. Credited for two good hires in Jones and Maas but Jones moved on on him and I guess some signs were there that it might have not continued well for him.

Irony for me in the Carter release was how come if he thought he was not performing is how there were no mid season changes. I never once saw Carter corrected in pass routes at practices I saw. I didn't like his routes as they were basically designed to fail as were many of plays near or at the LOS he was in. Put a player in a poor position to succeed = failure.

If I were Carter's agent and saw him playing, I'd be advising him to turn earlier and break off routes and get his QB to high point him the ball versus trying to be open and hit his chest area.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm
David wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:48 pm
What about Campbell as HC and Maas as OC?

Reunited.

Problem solved.

Kinda doubt Maas would look at an OC job right away if there are HC jobs available. So far there are two for him to pursue if he gets dusted. Might be one or two more before anybody is sipping champagne from Earl Grey's Goblet.
Maas has 1 more year left on his contract in Edmonton, so if he gets canned at the end of this season I don't see him accepting an OC job when he could take a year off and collect HC money. There will be an OC job waiting for him in 2021 if he doesn't find another HC gig first.

Which is why (as much as I hate to say this), I think Maas will be the next HC/OC of the BC Lions. The Lions will likely be paying Claybrooks for at least 1 more year, so they need to save some money by consolidating coaching positions. Maas ticks both boxes, and he has a relationship with Ed(monton) Hervey.

The only hope I have right now for Maas NOT to be the Lions HC next year is if LaPolice is offered and accepts the HC/OC job. But he is clearly the heir apparent in Winnipeg, if not next season then soon. O'Shea may choose to join his buddy Pinball even if the Bombers win the Grey Cup. Or he may sign for 1 more year in the 'Peg if Chamblin survives the off season.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Which is why (as much as I hate to say this), I think Maas will be the next HC/OC of the BC Lions. The Lions will likely be paying Claybrooks for at least 1 more year, so they need to save some money by consolidating coaching positions. Maas ticks both boxes, and he has a relationship with Ed(monton) Hervey.
[/quote]

That's a wicked thing to suggest, BCL! Borders on mental cruelty! I desperately hope (as do you apparently) you're wrong! That really would be swinging to the polar opposite re coach's personality, going from Claybrooks to Maas. It would sadden me to see his lack of discipline etc be brought into the Lions den and trickle down among our guys and their style of play, regardless of what offensive-scheme brilliance he may or may not have between his ears. I really don't want to see that here. We have enough hard work ahead of us. I would be OK with him as OC, but not HC.
David
Team Captain

Maas was up to his old tricks today, tearing a strip off the officials....and that was when they had built up a fairly big lead!! I really don't see him as our next head coach. I suppose they could save some $$ by having him as OC and HC, and he has done some good work with Reilly, but consider this.

Hervey said in his press conference that image is important and these things (DeVone's dismissal) are partly a business decision - paraphrasing. Put that together and it is safe to conclude he was talking about his sideline appearance and the push back they got from fans and how it would be a tough sell to bring him back (at least, that's how I read the tea leaves).

So how then does Maas's antics help an image-conscious front office sell a rather dislikable head man to a critical and discerning fan base?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 pm
So how then does Maas's antics help an image-conscious front office sell a rather dislikable head man to a critical and discerning fan base?

I haven’t seen evidence of Braley and Hervey responding to a critical and discerning fan base. They responded to the hat-haters.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Here is the latest on Lions coaching search:

According to Rick D:

Rick Campbell is high on the list of candidates to be the new coach of the BC Lions but I think Winnipeg assistant Paul LaPolice is as well.
Several good candidates, new coach could be named shortly after Grey Cup. #CFL #BCLions

So maybe 2 horse race, if Lapolice wants to work for Ed Hervey and leave Bombers. Which of the 2 would you prefer? I would choose Lapolice because he is an offensive minded coach and if he comes here JJ is gone.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:40 pm
Here is the latest on Lions coaching search:

According to Rick D:

Rick Campbell is high on the list of candidates to be the new coach of the BC Lions but I think Winnipeg assistant Paul LaPolice is as well.
Several good candidates, new coach could be named shortly after Grey Cup. #CFL #BCLions

So maybe 2 horse race, if Lapolice wants to work for Ed Hervey and leave Bombers. Which of the 2 would you prefer? I would choose Lapolice because he is an offensive minded coach and if he comes here JJ is gone.
LaPolice may want to wait unti the Bombers decide whether to extend Mike O'Shea's contract. I'd love to have LaPolice as B.C.'s next head coach and offensive coordinator. Maybe he could bring Buck Pierce with him as OC or QB coach.

As MIke Beamish points out, LaPolice turned down an OC position with the Lions under Mike Benevides but I don't believe he has ever been offered the head coaching position.

LaPolice has his critics in Winnipeg who complain that receivers are underutilized because too much of the Bomber offence runs through Andrew Harris. I don't think it's bad for a coach to tailor his offence to his biggest playmaker. The Bomber offence under LaPolice typically doesn't pile up a lot of yards but it is efficient. With its emphasis on the rushing and short passing game, the Winnipeg offence ranked sixth in the league in net offence and third in scoring in 2019, fifth in net offence and first in scoring in 2018 and seventh in net offence and second in scoring in 2017.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rick Campbell is still the leading candidate but Winnipeg’s victory in the Western Final increases the likelihood that Mike O’Shea will sign an extension and Paul LaPolice will be allowed to pursue head coaching opportunities elsewhere. With David Braley's interest in LaPolice, he is probably a strong candidate. I just hope that Ed Hervey doesn’t consider Jason Maas if the Eskimos decide to cut him loose.
Don Miller
Legend

No Mas please and thanks. Most penalized team Edmonton. I like Campbell as first choice and then LaPolice if he is available. Not sure I want to see JJ back as OC. I would like to see Benny back as DC
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
The_Pauser
Legend

Don Miller wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:30 pm
No Mas please and thanks. Most penalized team Edmonton. I like Campbell as first choice and then LaPolice if he is available. Not sure I want to see JJ back as OC. I would like to see Benny back as DC
I'd probably be okay with Maas as OC though...
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jason Maas acknowledges his job is on the line but he says he doesn't want to be anywhere other than Edmonton. If he is fired, I would expect him to stay home with his family and collect the final year of his salary before accepting a position elsewhere.
“I don’t control my future. I mean, I know what I signed up for. I know I have another year left on my contract,” Maas said. “I think everyone that knows me knows I’m an Edmonton guy. I’ve lived here for over 20 years. My family lives here. I love Edmonton. I love coaching here. I chose to come back to Edmonton even though I had a very good thing going somewhere else that I was very proud of and happy to be.

“Edmonton drew me back here and nothing over the last four years has changed my mind whatsoever of wanting to be here. I want to be here but that’s not my decision and that’s not something I think about. So I let the guys who have to make that decision make it and I respect the organization enough to deal with it and live with it whichever way it goes”
Edmonton Sun article