Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think it will be Rick Campbell. He has experience and won a Grey Cup. My hope would be Paul Lapolice and my worst fear is it being Jason Maas.
Chris Jones is on the list, for Cleveland may clean house at the end of the NFL season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tommy Condell ?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Condell has no experience as a head coach and I doubt Hervey hires a first time HC again. He likely will have experience. I think Campbell and Maas are the leading candidates for I think Maas will be fired next week after they lose to Montreal.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I was not at all a fan of Khari Jones as our OC. And I don't know what his situation in Montreal is right now, there seems to be some uncertainty about their plans going forward. But he won me over with both his attitude and his results with the Larks this season. He struck as an emancipated man -- spreading his wings and showing some of his true colours. Something of a revelation. He might be a hard sell back here again in Vancouver however. I'd be open to that notion, surprised as I am to hear myself say that, given my former feelings about the man's coaching as OC.

I can see why Rick Campbell is someone on a lot of people's minds, however I agree with others that the Lions ideally want/need an offensive-minded fellow taking the reins, and that's not his personal bent/expertise. And the potential combo of Campbell and Jarious J. could see forgettable results as truly dismal as this past season was for us. That combo is just not an exciting prospect IMO. And Jason Maas -- no thanks! Not as an HC anyhow. Tommy Condell is interesting to consider, but I think unlikely.

I think the likelihood lies with Campbell perhaps, but he's not my top preference, so I'll not vote that way. I think I'll just leave it up in the air for now. And meanwhile I remain amazed that I still find my current preference leaning toward Khari Jones, though I seriously doubt that's likely to happen.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:50 am
I was not at all a fan of Khari Jones as our OC. And I don't know what his situation in Montreal is right now, there seems to be some uncertainty about their plans going forward. But he won me over with both his attitude and his results with the Larks this season. He struck as an emancipated man -- spreading his wings and showing some of his true colours. Something of a revelation. He might be a hard sell back here again in Vancouver however. I'd be open to that notion, surprised as I am to hear myself say that, given my former feelings about the man's coaching as OC.

I can see why Rick Campbell is someone on a lot of people's minds, however I agree with others that the Lions ideally want/need an offensive-minded fellow taking the reins, and that's not his personal bent/expertise. And the potential combo of Campbell and Jarious J. could see forgettable results as truly dismal as this past season was for us. That combo is just not an exciting prospect IMO. And Jason Maas -- no thanks! Not as an HC anyhow. Tommy Condell is interesting to consider, but I think unlikely.

I think the likelihood lies with Campbell perhaps, but he's not my top preference, so I'll not vote that way. I think I'll just leave it up in the air for now. And meanwhile I remain amazed that I still find my current preference leaning toward Khari Jones, though I seriously doubt that's likely to happen.
Well said. Campbell’s expedience and connections to Hervey make him the obvious frontrunner but Khari Jones is an intriguing option. He has taken a bad situation in Montreal and turned it around.

My fear with Jones is that while the Lions desperately need an offensive overhaul, much of the Alouettes’ success is due to the scrambling ability of Vernon Adams. Mike Reilly is not that type of quarterback at this stage of his career. On the other hand, Jones made Jonathon Jennings look good for one year at least by pushing the ball downfield. Reilly is much better at that than Jennings.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Much of Khari Jones inadequacies when he was a Lions OC was being required to call plays that Wally wanted. As a HC in Montreal, Jones has the freedom to be a great coach but my guess is that he will remain in Montreal, after he wins my choice as CFL Coach of the Year.
David
Team Captain

Funny, but I am not that bullish on the Larks (still recognizing the wonderful job Khari has done) I think they will have their hands full with the Esks on Sunday as I see all kinds of holes in that Montreal defence. If they beat Edmonton it will be a close one, but an Edmonton victory would not surprise me.

Khari Jones is a worthy candidate, but my Coach of the Year is Craig Dickenson. Never saw that coming prior to the start of the year. :shock:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Farhan Lalji, Hervey has already asked for permission to interview Campbell.

maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 am
According to Farhan Lalji, Hervey has already asked for permission to interview Campbell.

If Campbell is the one Hervey wants, he may have to act quickly. If Edmonton loses this week, they could hire Campbell away from under our nose. Both Sunderland and Hervey are already familiar with Campbell anyways. It's a small league. Toronto and Winnipeg could also be in the mix.
David
Team Captain

Why does Hervey need permission, I thought he quit?

I hope this doesn't mean that we will owe Ottawa some compensation like draft picks if we sign Campbell. If so, I need to re-think whether this is worth it.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 am
Why does Hervey need permission, I thought he quit?

I hope this doesn't mean that we will owe Ottawa some compensation like draft picks if we sign Campbell. If so, I need to re-think whether this is worth it.

Maybe Hervey got permission from Ottawa to talk to Campbell before he quit and before Hervey fired Claybrooks.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

They need to ask for permission for Ottawa still have to pay Campbell for his contract is still on the books. Same thing happened in hockey when the Blue Jackets had to ask Canucks for permission to talk to John T, even though he was fired. Probably same thing will happen when someone wants to talk to Claybrooks for their DC job. Canucks got a 1st round pick, but I think in the CFL, they get nothing, since already fired or quit. But heard Ottawa will have to pay Campbell less if he gets another job so it is in their best interest he does get hired elsewhere.

Hervey said he wants to talk to others, so unlikely he hired Campbell this week. Best interest of the Lions if he does interview 4 or 5 guys.
Reggiemac
Rookie

indont think Hervey should be allowed to sign anyone before new ownership takes over. first thing to do will be to hire a new GM. another move by Hervey to save his skin. he should be fired asap.
don corleone
Starter

This one might get me banned but Jim Barker looks like he is enjoying the sidelines in Hamilton and knows the game as well as any. Lions could do worse. Two years to get the house in order and then promote from within. Bring Condell in as Assistant HC and OC and stand back.

Can't see him being Ed's kind of guy but Mr. Braley might think differently.

Good luck however it goes.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Reggiemac wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:01 pm
indont think Hervey should be allowed to sign anyone before new ownership takes over. first thing to do will be to hire a new GM. another move by Hervey to save his skin. he should be fired asap.
Reggie there is no guarantee Lions will be sold before next season and currently Ed Hervey has not been fired. You cannot do nothing and just wait and hope the team is sold. If you do, all the good candidates will go elsewhere. There could be 4 or 5 HC openings this off season. If we wait and do nothing our HC will end up being Jarious Jackson and if so there will be a lineup at Lions Gate Bridge of people waiting to jump off.