DeVone Claybrooks fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

There's the head coach, and that's been partially looked after now (i.e. letting Claybrooks go), but seeing the fate of our position coaches will be interesting developments over the next little while. I sure hope a couple of the rookies get a second chance with us. I see no reason for Ryan Philips to be let go, based on the play of his secondary, and based on the character and savvy of the man. And the other rookie coach I'd hate for us to lose is Nik Lewis. Admittedly, I don't pretend to know how effective he was or wasn't as RB coach, but he just seems like the sort of fellow you want to keep in your organization. As humorous and witty (not to mention talented) as he was as a player, he comes across as dead serious about doing a good job and learning how to do better as a coach. I'd be real disappointed to lose either of these two fine fellows.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wanted to see the rookie HC get one more year and the sophomore OC gone.

With a new HC, we better see a new OC, but who would that be? It might mean getting someone from a Cdn. college, or it might mean someone who is currently a QB Coach on another team.

However if there is one guy who could go from QB, to one year of football retirement, to OC, it would be Travis Lulay. The question is, does Lulay want the job or is he at this point more interested in the business side of a football team.

Right now neither the business or football side of the Lions are doing too well. Imo, Lulay has potential at this point to have a greater impact if he pursues the football side .
maxlion
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:03 pm
And the other rookie coach I'd hate for us to lose is Nik Lewis. Admittedly, I don't pretend to know how effective he was or wasn't as RB coach, but he just seems like the sort of fellow you want to keep in your organization. As humorous and witty (not to mention talented) as he was as a player, he comes across as dead serious about doing a good job and learning how to do better as a coach. I'd be real disappointed to lose either of these two fine fellows.
I share this impression of Lewis. Not sure that RB coach was the right place to start out. He has said that he always looked on his playing career as preparation for his coaching career, which says a lot about him.

As for Lulay, my impression is that he might value his family life too much to want to take on an OC role. But he certainly has the brains if that's what he wants.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:47 pm
As for Lulay, my impression is that he might value his family life too much to want to take on an OC role. But he certainly has the brains if that's what he wants.
That could very well be the case. Coaching life tends to turn into a vagabond lifestyle of 14 hour days 7 days a week for a few years here and a few years there. Being involved in the business side can become a long term thing of closer to normal working hours and m. For a guy like Lulay with a young family that seems to be a much more attractive fit. Don't have to worry about deciding between uprooting the family or leaving them behind to take on the next job.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

A question to ponder. Would Claybrooks have been fired if Reilly didn't break his arm? I believe BC would have prevailed in that Edmonton game and would have been in very good shape to take out the Riders the next game. Would he have been retained at 7-11 or better versus 5-13?
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 pm
A question to ponder. Would Claybrooks have been fired if Reilly didn't break his arm? I believe BC would have prevailed in that Edmonton game and would have been in very good shape to take out the Riders the next game. Would he have been retained at 7-11 or better versus 5-13?
That could well have been the case. Braley's Oct 18th (6 days after the EDM game) TSN interview was cited in the weeks that followed (Farhan, Giulio) as a good indicator that he had made up his mind to make changes.

Only Braley knows what number was in his head as a minimum number of wins to maintain the status quo. 3-6 at home and 0-10 vs West were likely as big factors.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 pm
That could well have been the case. Braley's Oct 18th (6 days after the EDM game) TSN interview was cited in the weeks that followed (Farhan, Giulio) as a good indicator that he had made up his mind to make changes.

Only Braley knows what number was in his head as a minimum number of wins to maintain the status quo. 3-6 at home and 0-10 vs West were likely as big factors.
For all intents the Lions' playoff hopes ended when the trainers trotted out to tend to Reilly. Prevail in that game and when Braley was interviewed on the 18th playoff hopes would have still been very much alive. Braley's tone may have been much different.