Is Signing Hervey for 2 More Years Right Move

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Is Signing Hervey for 2 More Years Right Move?

Yes
33%
No
47%
It Seemed Like it Before Season Began
13%
Two Years Too long, should have been one
7%

Total votes: 15
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I vote No. I am not a fan of Ed Hervey at all. His public criticisms of players like Solly and Jennings lack class. He messed up big time this season and I do no have the faith he can turn things around next season. With this signing, I now believe Claybrooks will stay at least 1 more year and they will make changes to the coaching staff and most likely JJ and Stubler will be gone. Lions I predict will miss playoffs again next year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I had never liked Hervey with the Eskimos but he was hired by Wally, and he in turn hired a new head coach to rebuild the franchise. It hasn’t worked out the way anyone expected but expectations were high at the start of the season when he reportedly got his extension so it would have been reasonable at the time to give him the same contract term as the head coach.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Never liked him when he played for Edmonton and mind has not changed. He is solely responsible for gutting the nucleus and signing a bunch of ex-Esks
serpintine
prospect

I was never happy that he spent all that cap money on a 34 soon to be 35 year old QB. So I’m not crazy bout it but who else is out there.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

All the negative comments on Hervey are spot on. However, Braley as owner is not one to fire his hires and I doubt he wants anyone to be paid out and have to pay a new GM and HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
johnchow604
Rookie

I voted yes. Before the season started, Hervey's choices for coaches and players had many picking the Lions to finish near the top of the Western division. Even getting Duron Carter, before the season started, sounded good as we needed a high profile, flashy WR to fill some seats. I'm leaning towards blaming this season on the Lions former OL coach and current OC .
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

He made some odd personnel decisions, especially letting people go. Couldn't find an import receiver? Seriously? I want him and Claybrooks for one more year . Everyone needs a chance to learn from their mistakes. Let's see if these 2 do.

We need a speed receiver. We need a centre. We need a front 4. We need a true M Linebacker. Our secondary looks fine. There is a lot of work to be done.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lion Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:11 am
We need a centre.
I wish I knew what the injury scoop was with Godber this year. I think they expected him to be that centre but he spent the whole season on the IR. Maybe he is still looked at as being that centre?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Pistrinus
Rookie

So what’s going on with the gm and head coach ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Pistrinus wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:52 am
So what’s going on with the gm and head coach ?
hopefully the gm is busy trying to make this last season look good on his resume
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

What I don't get, is why was Hervey "quietly signed to a 2-year extension" (per 3Down Nation)? If you have that much confidence in your GM, why would you keep his extension a secret (or at least an unconfirmed rumour) all season long?

Is it because the Lions were worried that some players would not extend their contracts if they knew Hervey was sticking around for 2 more years? Was it to not scare away prospective buyers (although a detail like the GM's contract would have to be disclosed prior to the sale)?

I can't think of another situation like this and quite frankly it seems shady AF.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

the best thing I can say about Hervey as GM is that at least he is not Galat
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm not happy. Fortunately, should things continue on their current directory there's an ideal replacement in house already.

What we desperately need is an improved American scouting department.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 am
I'm not happy. Fortunately, should things continue on their current directory there's an ideal replacement in house already.

What we desperately need is an improved American scouting department.
I assume you're referring to Geroy? Or do you mean Neil McEvoy?

As for scouting, someone brought up the point here a while ago that Torey Hunter was suspended by the league in the off-season for creating that Twitter burner account to sling dirt at his former employer. This could have impacted his duties in finding players (I buy that to a point).

QB Grant Kraemer and WR Joey Augustin look like our only true American FA prospects from the 2019 off-season. Not good. LB Kevin Haynes is a blue-chip prospect but we didn't find him. He was signed and released by the Als in 2018. Same for DB Victor Gamboa. He was scouted by us in 2018, never made it to camp, then was signed and released by Ottawa.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yeah, David, that was me -- I suppose I really should be more forgiving but that whole mess really stuck in my craw about Torey Hunter. Seemed so juvenile for starters, and so selfish -- especially in light of the consequences, i.e. his suspension and therefor inability to do his job at a critical time.

And as many of us here on Lionbackers have reiterated, American scouting results have been extremely suspect of late. And being in charge of it is such a vital role. Bottom line, I suppose it's debatable how much the suspension cost us, but whatever the case and the reasons -- that area of the Lions endeavor failed miserably.

I was glad to hear in one of the recent videos Hervey mention American scouting and recruiting needed to shape up (my words, I can't recall his exactly) -- very pleased to hear him admit to this failure. Thankfully, evidence seems to fairly strongly indicate Geroy has done well with his National work, but Mr. Hunter certainly has not got results from his efforts States-side.