Who Will Be Lions Backup QB Next Year

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be Lions Backup QB Next Year

Danny O'Brien
No votes
Brandon Bridge
56%
Grant Kraemer
No votes
Someone New
44%

Total votes: 16
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lions are smart they need to let go O'Brien. They need to have a capable backup QB in case Reilly gets hurt again and it is not O'Brien. He showed nothing in his 2 starts here, while Bridge played really well considering he has not played all year.

I vote for Bridge. They may bring back Grant Kraemer or bring in a better US college QB to be the backup or 3rd string.

They may also sign a free agent QB if any are available.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions will need to bring at least 4 QBs to camp. My preference would be to bring back Bridge as the likely No. 2 QB and give Kraemer another shot at making the roster if he’s healthy.
QB Club 63
All Star

I chose Bridge, mostly because I like the idea of a Canadian QB, but also because of his potential. Yes, he has been tried and rejected by other teams, but keep in mind that during his time in Sask he played whenever Chris Jones wanted to shake things up a little. Most defensive genius types have little clue about how to run an offense, let alone what makes a good QB.

The last Canadian QB to start a game for the Leos, Giulio Caravatta, believes Bridge has skills but needs a bit of fine tuning when it comes to his footwork. Maybe they should find out if Trevor Harris's mom can give him some tap dance lessons.
maxlion
Legend

There'll be lots of movement of players in the off season. I wouldn't put any of those named in the poll at the top of the list at this point. O'Brien is no good. Kraemer is too inexperienced. Bridge has had plenty of opportunities, has some glaring weaknesses. I'd keep looking.
BC 1988
Legend

Agreed it's too early to limit/exclude options for backup QB to what is there/not there right now.

More importantly, they can't allow the training camp exercise to be inconsequential like it was this year. (Getting Reilly's hand-picked choice, no matter how unsuited he was to actually be a backup).
VictoriaFan
Starter

Suits was saying that Bridge is pursuing a career as a police officer, remains to be seen if he'll even stay in football
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:10 pm
There'll be lots of movement of players in the off season. I wouldn't put any of those named in the poll at the top of the list at this point. O'Brien is no good. Kraemer is too inexperienced. Bridge has had plenty of opportunities, has some glaring weaknesses. I'd keep looking.
I agree. Still making rookie mistakes given the number of years he's been in the league. There's a reason why he's been with a number of teamsl
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bridge would be a good option and Kraemer deserves a chance. But I'd advise Kraemer to go to any other CFL team ASAP.

O'Brien mirrors every move in practice of Mike Reilly but based on lack of playing time he simply hasn't had enough experience to play effectively and it will never happen in BC.

Mike Reilly isn't young and he takes too many hits. If you're not bringing in an OC with a balanced attack you'll need to bring a QB who can go out and stretch the field at the LOS more and threaten the outsides more.

O'Brien might have developed had he had more playing time but he's not a big stature guy to give the Lions anything more than a mini-Mike.

Who knows what Kraemer can do as even in practice he does little.

Unlike my pre-HK days when Kruck was QB and you'd sell all 4 QB if healthy getting work and even plays for them. Only saw it once IIRC but they had a goal line play for Buck Pierce that they worked on constantly. That was the era of Dave D, Casey P, Jarius (but he got hurt in '05 in pre-season game on first play in first game in Regina) and Buck.

Those days with a designated QB coach (unlike tate who seems to have no role) Kruck was constantly engaged with 1 or more QBs at points in the sessions. Printers was hurt and they'd have Kruck at times working 1 on 1 on QB drills. All 4 were involved unlike now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reilly is the only QB guaranteed to be back. As of now I believe Kraemer is the only other QB under contract for 2020. As for Bridge and O'Brien I can't see both being offered contracts for 2020. It would be one or the other or neither. Whomever the solution at #2 will be you can bet the decision will be very much constrained by SMS forces. Kraemer or another newcomer with no CFL experience could win out simply because they are cheaper than veterans like Bridge, O'Brien etal.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

Timehasmarched on and foir 2021 I think it will be Reilly backedf upby Arndt and Rourke with Rourke betting some pacj
Kage plays ass well as 3rd down keeps by next year it will be Rpurkes job to win
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

J.J. Adams has written a nice update on Nathan Rourke's journey to the Lions after an unexpected tryout at receiver with the New York Giants.

New Lions QB Nathan Rourke pumped to pivot to preferred position after pandemic pause