Calgary at B.C. Nov. 2, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:40 am
Bridge played pretty well, but he is such a sandlot, improvising type player that I have always wondered about his ability to read defenses. Anyone have an opinion?
I wonder how much Bridge would benefit from being mentored by a QB coach (I'm looking at you Travis Lulay) who can teach him how to be a real professional? AC was the QB coach in Montreal in 2015-16, but Bridge was pretty far down the depth chart (although he did get 1 start due to injuries) and was cut after the first month of the 2016 season. Those two seasons in Montreal were a dumpster fire for QBs, so not a great environment for a rookie to develop, even if you had AC as QB coach.

Then Bridge spends three years with Chris Jones in Regina, who didn't seem to give 2 craps about Bridge or developing him into a bonafide CFL QB.

Maybe Bridge could have a similar upside as we've seen with Vernon Adams Jr. With the right coaching, and a bit of personal growth, maybe he's got some potential to become a decent CFL QB? He's certainly got the tools.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Bridge played pretty well, but he is such a sandlot, improvising type player that I have always wondered about his ability to read defenses. Anyone have an opinion?
I thought Bridge showed great poise in the pocket and pushed the ball downfield on time. The TD to Burnham was perfectly timed and placed. Bridge loves Jarious Jackson, and the feeling appears to be mutual. Jackson hasn’t always had high opinions of his QBs (Jennings in particular) but he seems to believe that Bridge can execute his offence as designed.

The knock on Bridge in Saskatchewan, after Jackson left for B.C., was that he was given a limited game plan and was afraid to improvise and push the ball downfield. Last night it was O’Brien who didn’t seem willing to push the ball downfield. Bridge has a sidearm delivery. At this stage of his development, it may be too late to change his mechanics. He had a couple of drive-killing knockdowns at the line last night but he otherwise gave the Lions hope every time he was on the field.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 am
DanoT wrote:
I thought Bridge showed great poise in the pocket and pushed the ball downfield on time. The TD to Burnham was perfectly timed and placed. Bridge loves Jarious Jackson, and the feeling appears to be mutual. Jackson hasn’t always had high opinions of his QBs (Jennings in particular) but he seems to believe that Bridge can execute his offence as designed.

The knock on Bridge in Saskatchewan, after Jackson left for B.C., was that he was given a limited game plan and was afraid to improvise and push the ball downfield. Last night it was O’Brien who didn’t seem willing to push the ball downfield. Bridge has a sidearm delivery. At this stage of his development, it may be too late to change his mechanics. He had a couple of drive-killing knockdowns at the line last night but he otherwise gave the Lions hope every time he was on the field.
IMO, Jackson sees a lot of himself in Bridge. Rocket launcher for an arm so he can throw it up a mile and have guys run underneath it, not so great with touch on the short passes, very good running the ball. Bridge's career has so far sort of mirrored Jackson as primarily a backup QB.

The Lions really need a development guy QB that will be ready to take over in a couple of seasons or so when Reilly likely retires. I'm not sure if Bridge is that guy.
jwbavalon
Rookie

good analysis DanoT
DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 am
DanoT wrote:

IMO, Jackson sees a lot of himself in Bridge. Rocket launcher for an arm so he can throw it up a mile and have guys run underneath it, not so great with touch on the short passes, very good running the ball. Bridge's career has so far sort of mirrored Jackson as primarily a backup QB.

The Lions really need a development guy QB that will be ready to take over in a couple of seasons or so when Reilly likely retires. I'm not sure if Bridge is that guy.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Big thumbs down to the two Calgary players who came out during the remembrance day ceremony. You couldn't wait till the procession was over to practice what ever you needed to. These men let you have your freedoms. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing