Calgary at B.C. Nov. 2, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A disappointing Lions' season comes to a close Saturday with a chance to play spoilers for the Stampeders. A B.C. victory would relegate the Stamps to third place in the West and deny them a home playoff game for the first time since 2011. It would also relieve some of the pressure on GM Ed Hervey, head coach DeVone Claybrooks and his ex-Stampeder assistants. And it would give the Lions a 5-4 record for the second half of the season after their 1-8 record in the first half. It would also give them their first victory of the season against West Division rivals. They're winless against the West so far this year for the first time in franchise history.

The Lions' starting defence will have only one change from their last game two weeks ago, with Jonathan Newsome activated at defensive end in place of Mat Boesen, who returns to the injured list. Victor Gamboa again starts at field corner and Crezdon Butler at field halfback with Aaaron Grymes on the injured list.

On offence, the underappreciated David Knevel gets his first start of the year at left tackle in place of Joel Figueroa, the Lions' nominee for outstanding offensive lineman. Jevon Cottoy, the Lions' nominee for outstanding rookie, joins Figueroa on the injured list. Ryan Lankford starts at receiver along with Rashaun Simonise, Shaq Johnson, Bryan Burnham and Duron Carter. Danny O'Brien gets his second start at QB, with Brandon Bridge as his only backup. Brandon Rutley is added to the roster and listed as the first backup to John White at RB. Peter Godber is added from the injured list for the first time this year and is listed as backup centre but will likely be scratched if the Lions continue to dress six O-lineman. Josiah St. John, the first overall pick in the 2016 draft by Saskatchewan, has been released from the practice roster.

The Stamps have made seven roster changes for this game. Regular starters out of the lineup include SB Eric Rogers and LT Derek Dennis. Bo Levi Mitchell will start at QB, backed up by Nick Arbuckle. Like the Lions, the Stamps will dress only two QBs.

Here's the Lions depth chart (click to open and expand in Twitter):
Dusty
Champion

I hope that Simonise has gotten over his "nervous hands" and can reduce the drops he had last game. I was hopeful that Augustin would see action this game, but likely the ratio precluded that move.

While it has been a season of disappointment, I'm looking forward to a good season ending game.... win or lose.... and am hopeful that the bus service disruptions will not be an impediment to my attending the game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Claybrooks last game? Farhan seemed to think so when on 1040 earlier this week.

Says a chance some assistants are let go and not HC but doubts it. Hervey apparently will come out of it unscathed which would mean a new deal.

New coaching staff, sweeping changes to the roster, not enough competition at TC and a West loaded schedule in the early going added up to the horrific start. It essentially handcuffed the marketing and ticketing department for the rest of the season, never mind 2020 season ticket sales.
That's what probably really got Braley's attention.

I'm sure there were high hopes months ago getting the Riders in here for a 2nd visit with the "White Out" game and big 50/50 pot only to have it being a mean nothing affair. Never mind the season finale against Calgary.

Going to be an interesting week ahead after Saturday.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:32 am
I hope that Simonise has gotten over his "nervous hands" and can reduce the drops he had last game. I was hopeful that Augustin would see action this game, but likely the ratio precluded that move.
With Knevel starting in place of Figueroa on the line and Lankford starting at receiver, the Lions had a chance to add an American backup. They opted for Brandon Rutley, who can not only relieve John White in the backfield but can pick up some of Lankford's regular duties as a kick returner if necessary.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looking forward to see what Knevel can do.
Dusty
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am

Says a chance some assistants are let go and not HC but doubts it. Hervey apparently will come out of it unscathed which would mean a new deal.
I will be really pissed if Claybrooks is fired at seasons end and the person that anointed him as the #1 choice and only paid lip service to other HC candidates is kept on. What a travesty. It makes BC look like the Alouettes-West. Given the Offensive Coordinator that was hung around his neck by the GM, it is not surprising that Claybrooks was unable to turn the offence around. Yet he still has been a professional, lauding JJ when we won and not mentioning him when we lost.

If this is what Braley wants, then I'm done with him.

I was all set to renew my ST in mid November….. that's not going to happen....talk about aiming low…..without dreaming high…
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:06 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am

I will be really pissed if Claybrooks is fired at seasons end and the person that anointed him as the #1 choice and only paid lip service to other HC candidates is kept on. What a travesty. It makes BC look like the Alouettes-West. Given the Offensive Coordinator that was hung around his neck by the GM, it is not surprising that Claybrooks was unable to turn the offence around. Yet he still has been a professional, lauding JJ when we won and not mentioning him when we lost.

If this is what Braley wants, then I'm done with him.

I was all set to renew my ST in mid November….. that's not going to happen....talk about aiming low…..without dreaming high…
I mostly agree with the above.

While Claybrooks made some mistakes with the assistants that he hired, Hervey made a lot more mistakes with the players he got rid of.

IMO it is a mistake to fire a rookie head coach after only one season, so I hope that Farhan's speculation is wrong.
David
Team Captain

If DeVone is let go at the end of the year, it would somehow not surprise me at all if his personal appearance (cocked hat, shorts) factored into old school thinker David Braley's decision.

I read a lot of complaints on social media (a few on here), but mostly when we were on the long losing streak. Funny how that works.

Unfortunately, Ed has a lot of expiring one-year contracts he has to try and re-sign. I can't help but think the process will be made that much more difficult with a new Head Coach.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Bring your 2for1 to the game tonight. Pass them along to anyone buying tix tonight. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Peter Godber is dressed for the first time this year as the only backup offensive lineman. It looks like Brett Boyko is scratched. I hope Godber gets a lot of reps at centre. Nothing against Phillip Norman but I’d love to see the Lions try to start four nationals on the O-line next year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Carter should have caught that one
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Whoever was the bonehead who let O'Brien run short yardage ought to be fired... Bridge or Kraemer would be no brainers. That 'run' was pathetic for turnover on downs
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Stampede receiver offside. No flàg
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Willis offside. Becoming a regular occurrence
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:41 am
If DeVone is let go at the end of the year, it would somehow not surprise me at all if his personal appearance (cocked hat, shorts) factored into old school thinker David Braley's decision.

I read a lot of complaints on social media (a few on here), but mostly when we were on the long losing streak. Funny how that works.

Unfortunately, Ed has a lot of expiring one-year contracts he has to try and re-sign. I can't help but think the process will be made that much more difficult with a new Head Coach.

DH :cool:
And if Cleveland cleans house, guess who our new HC will be? Ugh. Chris Jones. ☹️