Player awards - finalists announced

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL is due to announce the team nominees for the annual CFL awards, as selected by the Football Reporters of Canada and CFL head coaches. Here are my suggestions for the Lions' nominees:

MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER

Bryan Burnham

This one should be unanimous. Burnham is second behind Brandon Banks in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns headed into the final week of the regular season. They could find themselves in Calgary as finalists for the league awards during Grey Cup week.

MOST OUTSTANDING DEFENSIVE PLAYER

Branden Dozier

There is no dominant defensive player on this year's team but Dozier is the leader of the defence. He instantly improved the secondary when he arrived in late June after the team failed to find a safety during training camp. Dozier missed the first two games but he leads the team in total tackles, which is almost unheard of for a safety.

MOST OUTSTANDING CANADIAN

Lemar Durant

It's too bad Durant's season was cut short after 15 games. He set a career high with 810 receiving yards and 5 TDs, good for second place on the team behind Burnham.

MOST OUTSTANDING LINEMAN

Joel Figueroa

This is a category where the Lion nominee doesn't have a chance of advancing to the league awards but someone has to be selected. Apart from one game missed due to injury, the Lions' left tackle is the only lineman who started at his position all season. He was hobbled for several games earlier in the year but he is the heart and soul of the line and can often be found blocking 15 yards downfield on running plays.

MOST OUTSTANDING SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER

Sergio Castillo

Castillo leads the league in field goal accuracy at 90.9% (40 of 44, including a purrfect 21 of 21 from inside the 40 yard line). He is also 5 of 7 from 50 yards or more.

MOST OUTSTANDING ROOKIE

Jevon Cottoy

Cottoy caught my eye at training camp, and not just because he's 6 foot 5 and 230 lbs. Straight out of junior football with the Langley Rams, he played his way into the starting lineup because he was clearly better than all the other new receivers in camp, regardless of nationality. Of the 17 Lions eligible for the rookie award (see list), he's the only one who has been a regular starter all year. With some of the best hands on the team, he has 38 catches on just 44 targets for 386 yards, including 197 yards after the catch.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

That's indeed an "outstanding" list, one that I can't and won't argue with.
Burnham is a no-brainer. What a guy! What a player! A special man.
You make a solid case for Branden Dozier. Agreed.
Lemar Durant -- for sure! (It's a crying shame he got injured.)
I only hesitated re O-Lineman award, thinking perhaps Philip Norman, given his extra responsibility at Centre, but he only played the last half of the season, so I'll happily go with Joel F.
S. Castillo -- agreed, he's been amazingly accurate and steady. A top notch kicker for us this year. That was unexpected, I didn't know he was so solid.
Jevon Cottoy -- one of my favourite stories from our mostly forgettable season -- this young fellow's blossoming. He should be proud.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree with B.C. Fan's selection
David
Team Captain

Since I agree with all of B..C.FAN's selections, here are my runners-up:

Most Outstanding Player - Mike Reilly (yea the results weren't great and interception totals were a little high, but would have been a threat for 5,000 passing yards had a played all year and not been in "self-preservation" mode most of the year).

Most Outstanding Defensive Player - TJ Lee (Shawn Lemon makes a compelling case, although his production has tailed off the past few games).

Most Outstanding Canadian - Shaq Johnson (although if David Menard had signed earlier in the year, may have given the runner-up to him).

Most Outstanding Lineman - David Foucault (when he got moved to left guard in early September his overall play (run blocking and pass protection) has been really strong).

Most Outstanding Special Teams Player - Ryan Lankford (started out strong but has been mostly average, although production is a largely a team effort, I realize. Still, is third in the league in kick-off return yardage).

Most Outstanding Rookie - Kevin Haynes (has made a solid 47 tackles in only 10 games. Looks to be one of our linebackers of the future. Tip of the hat to Jamel Lyles but he just doesn't have enough touches).

Unsung Hero - Korey Toomer. Keep an eye on him sometime, he's all over the field. Love his hustle. In listening to the former NFLer too, he is humble in his approach and just wants to contribute where he can. Would love to see he and Haynes start at linebacker next year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Can't argue with the either the top pick post or runners up.

Burnham is a special player who has excelled in challenging circumstances and a passing structure that has to focus on the break out receiver.

The catch he made that was ruled out of bounds demeans the game. Had they called it a TD, some say no evidence to overturn a TD and probably the best catch and TD of the year would have stood and no one would have complained.

But refs called him out of bounds so guys like Suitor think it was the right decision.

How can we expect a ref to make a call like that as there is simply too much going on there. They need to know he has control on the ball inbounds and also what the defender is up to.

For me - as a fan of great football, the stealing of this Burnham TD ranks up there as sadly memorable as the Matt Dunigan coached Stamps who would have won in BC place with an onside kick where the refs blew it. Sure I wanted BC to win but that play was crazy - only to get a bad penalty call.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The official selections are out, and the reporters and head coach agree with five of our six picks. T.J. Lee got the nomination as defensive player instead of Branden Dozier.
The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce its list of CFL Outstanding Player nominees for 2019 as selected by the local chapter of the Football Reporters of Canada:

Bryan Burnham (Outstanding Player)
Lemar Durant (Outstanding Canadian)
T.J. Lee (Outstanding Defensive Player)
Joel Figueroa (Outstanding Lineman)
Sergio Castillo (Outstanding Special Teams Player)
Jevon Cottoy (Outstanding Rookie)
Burnham, Durant and Castillo were unanimous selections.

BRYAN BURNHAM HEADLINES LIONS OUTSTANDING PLAYER NOMINEES

Here are all the nominees across the league:
2019 TEAM AWARD-WINNERS

BC LIONS

Player: Bryan Burnham*
Defensive: T.J. Lee
Canadian: Lemar Durant*
Offensive Lineman: Joel Figueroa
Special Teams: Sergio Castillo *
Rookie: Jevon Cottoy

EDMONTON ESKIMOS

Player: Trevor Harris
Defensive: Larry Dean*
Canadian: Kwaku Boateng
Offensive Lineman: David Beard*
Special Teams: Sean Whyte*
Rookie: Vontae Diggs*

CALGARY STAMPEDERS

Player: Reggie Begelton*
Defensive: Tre Roberson*
Canadian: Cory Greenwood*
Offensive Lineman: Shane Bergman
Special Teams: Nate Holley*
Rookie: Nate Holley

SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS

Player: Cody Fajardo*
Defensive: Charleston Hughes
Canadian: Cameron Judge*
Offensive Lineman: Dan Clark*
Special Teams: Jon Ryan
Rookie: Dakoda Shepley*

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Player: Willie Jefferson
Defensive: Willie Jefferson*
Canadian: Mike Miller
Offensive Lineman: Stanley Bryant*
Special Teams: Mike Miller*
Rookie: Kenny Lawler

HAMILTON TIGER-CATS

Player: Brandon Banks*
Defensive: Simoni Lawrence
Canadian: Brandon Revenberg
Offensive Lineman: Chris Van Zeyl
Special Teams: Frankie Williams
Rookie: Jaelon Acklin

TORONTO ARGONAUTS

Player: Derel Walker
Defensive: Cleyon Laing
Canadian: Cleyon Laing
Offensive Lineman: Sean McEwen*
Special Teams: Chris Rainey
Rookie: Kennan Gilchrist

OTTAWA REDBLACKS

Player: Avery Williams
Defensive: Avery Williams
Canadian: Nolan MacMillan
Offensive Lineman: Nolan MacMillan
Special Teams: Richie Leone
Rookie: Jerod Fernandez

MONTREAL ALOUETTES

Player: Vernon Adams Jr.*
Defensive: Henoc Muamba
Canadian: Henoc Muamba
Offensive Lineman: Kristian Matte
Special Teams: Boris Bede
Rookie: Jake Wieneke
*Denotes a unanimous selection
VictoriaFan
Starter

kinda surprised Andrew Harris wasn't chosen for Canadian in the Peg
David
Team Captain

VictoriaFan wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:45 pm
kinda surprised Andrew Harris wasn't chosen for Canadian in the Peg
It would have been far too controversial to have a guy who tested positive for PEDs - and was suspended for two games because of it - win a year-end award(s). Clearly, the league needs to institute a policy of some kind on this issue.

I thought Winnipeg Football Reporter Ted Wyman clearly articulates his position on why he left Harris off the ballot here.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bob Irving, longtime Winnipeg play-by-play announcer at radio station CJOB, explains why he voted for Harris. He's been taking a lot of flak for it.

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Good for T. J. Lee -- I have no problem with his nomination, he had a real steady season back there in the secondary. He's as deserving as anyone, though a convincing case was made here re Dozier.

I can see where voting for Andrew H. would be problematic, given the suspension for use of a banned substance. I personally feel real bad for him. I like to think it was an innocent mistake, due to contamination of another legit drug, just as he maintains. There seems to me to be a lot of smugness in folks around the league who say "he's a cheater, end of story". That doesn't add up for me, given how many times he's been tested previously (apparently quite a fair amount) and always passed inspection until this one time.

Andrew's no dunce and there's zero logic in the guy intentionally doing a banned drug given his years of excellence without them. It's a sad story. A crying shame. But, all that said, I just don't see how it could be acceptable so far as "how it looks" for him to be up on the winner's podium, though I personally feel he is very deserving. But that's just IMO. Others will see it differently and that's fine. (I know what opinions are worth -- my own included.)
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Andrew Harris rushing leader even missing two games. Nuff said. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have been shut out in the selection of finalists for the Shaw CFL Awards. I thought Bryan Burnham and Sergio Castillo deserved to be West nominees for most outstanding player and most outstanding special teams player but they were beaten by Rider QB Cody Fajardo and Winnipeg FB Mike Miller, respectively.

Don Miller
Legend

When you finish 5-13 you dont get the votes.. too bad, Burnham wins this if he is on a winning team.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
David
Team Captain

That's B.S.

Fajardo was propped up by the Saskatchewan hype machine (local media, fans, national media that want to appeal to said fans, etc.). He had a good year. Excellent when you consider the circumstances. But I viewed him more as a skilled game manager, a duo-threat that played behind an excellent O-line and a system that played to his strengths. He was not lights-out or jaw-droppingly good. He only threw 18 TD passes! That's 6th best in the league. Hell, Duron Carter threw for 2!

Bryan Burnham was by far our most dangerous weapon. And even being double-teamed, he managed to catch 100 passes put up nearly 1,500 receiving yards. Moreover, the number of highlight reel, circus catches he made this season was off the charts. He made them look easy. His play was truly outstanding.

Robbed.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Fajardo may have been the league’s lost valuable player for stepping in to the staring lineup and leading the Riders to first place. Burnham, though, was the West’s most outstanding player. He figures prominently in any compilation of the CFL’s top plays of the year, and he made outstanding plays in tight coverage all year.