Last game...end of the line

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

Last year we saw the final games for longtime Lions Travis Lulay, Jovan Olafioye, and Rolly Lumbala.

Since then, there has been some major turnover on the roster so there aren't many longtime Lions left, but which Lions players do you think will be playing their final games in the CFL this coming week?

A few possibilities are:
Odell Willis
Shawn Lemon
Danny O'Brien
Brandon Bridge
Duron Carter
Brandon Rutley
Ryan Lankford
John White

Of course, there are always marginal players who are just in the league for a cup of coffee, so I'm thinking more of players who have been around the team or league for awhile.
David
Team Captain

Big "no" to Rutley and White....unless Hervey goes and even then I'm not so sure. These are exactly the type of backs he likes. I think they've both had good seasons (over 5.0 yard per carry, can catch the ball out of the backfield, responsible blockers - more the former than the latter) and will be back. I like the platoon system that's been set up although I wouldn't mind seeing more of Lyles next season.

DH :cool:

P.S. Anyone notice Wayne Moore's carries/presence has been significantly reduced since getting rocked by Lokombo? Coincidence?
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I like to attend this game. The Remembrance day ceremony very moving. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm
Last year we saw the final games for longtime Lions Travis Lulay, Jovan Olafioye, and Rolly Lumbala.

Since then, there has been some major turnover on the roster so there aren't many longtime Lions left, but which Lions players do you think will be playing their final games in the CFL this coming week?

A few possibilities are:
Odell Willis
Shawn Lemon
Danny O'Brien
Brandon Bridge
Duron Carter
Brandon Rutley
Ryan Lankford
John White

Of course, there are always marginal players who are just in the league for a cup of coffee, so I'm thinking more of players who have been around the team or league for awhile.
Odell Willis is the only name on the list whose career appears to be over. The others all have gas in the tank and will most likely return next year or resurface elsewhere.

One veteran not on the list whose future is in doubt is Sukh Chungh. I know he was hampered by injuries this year but Hervey grossly overpaid for him. Hervey’s pride may keep him for releasing Chungh but a new GM likely wouldn’t hesitate to renegotiate or dump his contract.

Adam Konar is another high-profile Hervey acquisition who has not contributed as expected. I’ve watched him develop since high school but his career has definitely regressed. He’s just 26 but if he can’t help a last-place hometown team with a weak linebacking corps I don’t know how he could help anyone else.
maxlion
Legend

I forgot to mention Wally...

Might be Stubler's last year??
cms22
Starter

good discussion.. thx very much.

can we renegotiate guys downwards? is the CFL a signing bonus league where a player like sukh chung ended up with alot of of money (i.e. $250k for this year, and a bunch up-front. the bunch up-front would eat into the $250k salary)...........

just seems like bad kharma/energy to renegotaite downwards. but sukh is a vancouver guy so manybe i'll be ok.

why would we not bring back shawn lemon?

i think we've made some good progress this year. we are now playing at the level we should have played at much of hervey's time here.

not sure i trust hervey to try to make improvements on this team. what if more eskimos become available?.... he tried to go with 11 canadians at one point early in the season. i think everyone assumed it's because we overspent on free agents and had no money left.

i don't think we've done a good job at developing american talent, especially at a position like DE.. i understand OT might be a bit tougher.... just my opinion, but i think pass rusher is most important position by far after QB. and person blocking the pass rusher isn't nearly as important.

what happened to adam konar?....... if you are raptors fan, it reminds me of yogi stewart back in the day. the raptors biggest free agent signing early on and i don't think he really played at all (and he wasn't injured)....
cms22
Starter

i probably have reputation as reilly hater but can we negotiate him down?

of course, if these guys make enough off signing bonus, then their per-year isn't nearly as bad as stated?

most leagues don't allow renegotiate down.. i could be wrong.
cms22
Starter

can we bring Wally back as some sort of consultant? or, would that be too distracting to overall process?

i understand need to win.. but i think lions fans would be a bit more patient with retired lions having a larger roll in coaching and gm/personnel/etc.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm wondering about veteran punter Josh Bartel's future, either with us or in the league.
He will be 35 next season, and just in the past couple of weeks the Lions quietly signed young Hutchins (National punter, UBC).
Bartel has maintained a very low net average on his punts, somewhere in the 30s I believe. I'd assume one of the lowest in the league.
He's been around the CFL for seven years, and I think last season wasn't even around the CFL anymore (back home in Australia?) when the Lions called on him. He's done his best and that's appreciated, but one would hope somewhere between off-season recruiting and training camp others (maybe Hutchins) would be in the conversation for replacement candidates. Can we please find another Ty Long, but ideally National.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Oh, I meant to mention DB Anthony Thompson as well. He's approaching age 30 (not that that's ancient) but even before going on the IR I think he'd been relegated to back-up positions in the secondary. And he'd been mostly a liability back there over the course of four or five seasons. Perhaps he'll be a late bloomer. Not sure that's realistic. Plus we have some depth there now, more so than we had when he was active.
maxlion
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm wondering about veteran punter Josh Bartel's future, either with us or in the league.
He will be 35 next season, and just in the past couple of weeks the Lions quietly signed young Hutchins (National punter, UBC).
Bartel has maintained a very low net average on his punts, somewhere in the 30s I believe. I'd assume one of the lowest in the league.
He's been around the CFL for seven years, and I think last season wasn't even around the CFL anymore (back home in Australia?) when the Lions called on him. He's done his best and that's appreciated, but one would hope somewhere between off-season recruiting and training camp others (maybe Hutchins) would be in the conversation for replacement candidates. Can we please find another Ty Long, but ideally National.
Good thoughts...
I didn't realize he was that old. But punters last a long time and his honorary National status helps. I wouldn't be shocked to see him somewhere in the league next year.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Odell Willis is the only name on the list whose career appears to be over. The others all have gas in the tank and will most likely return next year or resurface elsewhere.

One veteran not on the list whose future is in doubt is Sukh Chungh. I know he was hampered by injuries this year but Hervey grossly overpaid for him. Hervey’s pride may keep him for releasing Chungh but a new GM likely wouldn’t hesitate to renegotiate or dump his contract.

Adam Konar is another high-profile Hervey acquisition who has not contributed as expected. I’ve watched him develop since high school but his career has definitely regressed. He’s just 26 but if he can’t help a last-place hometown team with a weak linebacking corps I don’t know how he could help anyone else.
I agree that the writing is on the wall for Willis. Konar too may call it a day.

I'd be surprised if Chungh was out of the league so soon after being an all star and highly sought after player. Unless his injury is worse than expected, I think he'll be back in the league if he wants to be. Likely will need to take a paycut though.

Personally, I think a few of the names on my list won't be back, but I will refrain from giving my opinion until a few others chime in!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

From those on your list, maxlion, I can potentially see as many as maybe half of those guys having played their last for the Leos, but not for the league, and it is in the latter context that I understood you to be asking. I somehow think most on that list, even Willis, could end up with other teams if let go here. A lot of those fellows would still provide decent roster depth elsewhere IMO.
maxlion
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm
From those on your list, maxlion, I can potentially see as many as maybe half of those guys having played their last for the Leos, but not for the league, and it is in the latter context that I understood you to be asking. I somehow think most on that list, even Willis, could end up with other teams if let go here. A lot of those fellows would still provide decent roster depth elsewhere IMO.
Willis could keep playing, but might need to accept something close to minimum salary. Same with Olafioye last year. If he really wants to play, he will probably find a place. I think the league would be better if he did take this route. But I suspect he will retire instead. And I respect that choice too.

Same goes for a few others on the list and many others in the past. Such as Lulay, Buono, etc..
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 pm
I like to attend this game. The Remembrance day ceremony very moving. BB
Agree