What will Happen after David Braley's Evaluation?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What will Happen after David Braley's Evaluation?

Nothing
25%
Ed Hervey will be Fired
31%
Hervey and Claybrooks will be Fired
No votes
Only Assistant Coaches Fired
38%
Changes to Management Team, Scouting & Assistants, but Hervey Stays.
6%

Total votes: 16
JohnnyMusso
Champion

David Braley now on @TSN1040 says he is “doing a complete evaluation” of all aspects of the teams and “will make the necessary changes” at the end of the season. Expected #BCLions to go around 10-8 after signing @Rikester13. @CFLonTSN

I am happy to hear this. I was very disappointed with Ed Hervey saying he felt Claybrooks did an excellent job. What is he smoking? No one did an excellent job and to give the coach an A after likely a 5 and 13 is a joke. One thing to give him a vote of confidence and another to make ridiculous statements like this.

So what will happen after David Braley's evaluation. Poll included with this question. I think Ed Hervey will take the fall and be fired. David Braley will make changes and Ed Hervey is the easiest to fire for has no contract after this season.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Just to add Braley said he is very disappointed with the way the season has gone.
cms22
Starter

frankly, at some point i'd be worried the team might fold.. or toronto, which i believe he also owns.

if the team folded, and vancouver team started up again, would braley have territorial rights? i'm guessing NO but haven't thought it through.
cms22
Starter

it's funny that we could get rid of GM but keep the HC.. although i think it's somewhat justified.... CFL is money-sensitive so can't make changes like they do in the NFL.. i think sometimes teams can't get rid of coach because they are paying so many other coaches not to coach. winnipeg 10 years ago comes to mind. maybe some NCAA spots too.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

David Braley no longer owns the Argos. He sold it to the people who own the Leafs a few years ago.
David
Team Captain

I am fine with Hervey and Claybrooks coming back. If we blow this up and start over, we're looking at yet more changes and a possible rebuild, likely setting the club further back. A new coach or GM is not going to move the ST needle either.

I believe Hervey's off-season cuts ran too deep (and players he let walk). That said, I do like the adjustments he has made during the season to make the club stronger. Our Canadian talent looks very promising but we need to improve our US scouting.

Players clearly seem to like playing for DeVone, but I would make changes to some of the coordinator and position coaches.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

As I suggested in another thread, I think that Hervey's fate--and by extension, that of the coaches--will be tied to the sale of the team.

Four possible options are:

1. Sale is imminent, by end of the year
Hervey's fate will be determined by new owner. Likely gone. Possible replacement: Geroy.

2. Sale imminent, before training camp.
Depends on what Braley is hearing from his sources. Hervey likely gone, replaced by interim GM (McEvoy?).

3. Sale expected sometime in the next year or so.
Hervey probably will stay. Too long for an interim GM and not long enough to hire a qualified candidate from outside who a new owner may want to replace.

4. Sale dependent on buyer meeting Braley's asking price (AKA when Braley dies or hell freezes over)
50/50 on Hervey staying.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A new owner likely has contacts in the business community but not the football community. So if he doesn't have his "own guys" he will likely take a close look at what he has got before making significant changes on the football side. Therefore if Hervey survives this season's year end evaluation (and I think he will) then he is the GM for a while beyond 2020, assuming a decent Lions showing in 2020, regardless of when the team is actually sold.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

At this rate and with Braley's age and health, I don't think it is too much of a stretch to think he passes before the Lion's get sold. He is 78 now, I believe diabetic and has had health issues related to that in the not too distant past. I'm not suggesting that he is at the gate or anything like that but he certainly is at an age where things can happen quickly and without much warning. I hope that it doesn't come to that but if as has been suggested there isn't a line of quality potential owners waiting to buy, then this could take a while.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wondering who Braley's advisor is when it comes to his football operation decisions.

Hervey's hiring was Wally's call to the surprise of many given he had been grooming Neil McElvoy for years. It was Adam Rita's show from 1997 until 2002 when Braley was encouraged to bring in Ackles as president. Wally then essentially had a "lifetime" contract with Braley after Ackles' sudden passing.

Is it Rick Ladouceur? Does he go back to Wally for advice? Given his track record since buying the club in the late 90s there is no way he isn't getting input from somewhere.