Saskatchewan at B.C. Lions Oct. 18, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Quarterback Danny O'Brien gets the first start of his 5-year CFL career Friday after being thrust into action in the first quarter of last Saturday's game in Edmonton when Mike Reilly fractured his wrist. Rookie Grant Kraemer, who impressed fans when he led two late touchdown drives to beat Calgary 38-36 in preseason, is activated from the practice roster for the first time this season and will serve as O'Brien's backup. Former Rider Brandon Bridge, who has had two practices with the Lions after being signed this week, is listed as the third-string QB for this game. It's the first time this year the Lions have listed three quarterbacks on the active roster.

There are no other changes on the Lions' starting offence. RB Brandon Rutley, who shared duties with John White last week in Edmonton, returns to the 1-game injure list. Jamel Lyles and Wayne Moore back up White. Centre Peter Godber, who has been practising but hasn't played this year, remains on the 1-game injured list.

The Lions have made several key changes on defence. Rookie DE Mat Boesen, who led all defensive linemen with 10 tackles before being injured in Week 5 against Edmonton, returns from the 6-game injured list and will start opposite Shawn Lemon. Korey Toomer is listed as backup DE. Jonathan Newsome moves to the 1-game injured list. Converted defensive ends Odell Willis and David Menard again start in the middle and will be tested by the strong Rider running game featuring William Powell.

Maleki Harris returns from the injured list to reclaim his starting spot at middle linebacker ahead of Kevin Haynes. O’Shane Samuels moves to the 1-game injured list.

In the secondary, the injury to Aaron Grymes has resulted in a shuffle of positions. Victor Gamboa is activated from the practice roster and will play field cornerback while Crezdon Butler moves to field halfback. T.J. Lee plays Grymes' position as boundary HB. Hakeem Johnson, who was beated on two deep passes after being thrust into action last week in Edmonton, backs up Gamboa. Recently signed rookie Jamie Harry, Toronto's fifth-round draft pick this year from the University of Ottawa, dresses as third-string cornerback and special teamer.

It should be a lively atmosphere in the stadium with Saskatchewan fans in green cheering their team, which is contending for first place in the West. And if that's not enough to entice fans, the 50/50 jackpot is a guaranteed $150,000. :roar:

David
Team Captain

Uggh, I really think it's a mistake to stick Odell Willis in the middle of that defensive line. The Riders' Oline is way too big and powerful. My fear is their run blocking will just blast through our under-sized D-line and completely wash out our linebackers leaving our defensive secondary to make tackles.

The Riders' defensive game plan will likely be to follow the Eskimos blueprint of sending one more guy than we can block and see if we can pick him up (e.g. Solly). Rutley is better than White in this regard. We started last game with double tights then seemed to go away from it.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

On defense: I'll be hoping for maybe some interceptions from our DBs tomorrow night. As TJ Lee has noted in interview, Fajardo likes to put up 50/50 balls. For the most part we've been missing the excitement, though they've played really well of late, of our guys creating turnovers in our secondary this season. I'm a bit disappointed young Haynes isn't getting a second start at MLB, given his solid outing last game.

On offense: I'm also pleased to see (as noted by B.C.FAN) that we're dressing three QBs for the first time this season. Many of us are hoping for a glimpse into what young Kraemer has to offer, myself included. But, despite my expressed misgivings about starter O'Brien, I wish him the best and hope he surprises me and proves me completely mistaken about him and his potential. That said, he's turning 30 next year and Kraemer's but 23, so I know which way I'm leaning while looking ahead to next season.

I also hope our young local Lyles gets his fair share of turns to run with the ball. I wonder how he compares to White regards ability to block and ability to understand blocking assignments. But I reckon they'll stick mainly with White, given he could realistically reach the 1000 yard millstone over the course of these last couple of games. Good for him, I wish his well. Good to see him scampering, a comeback year after a major injury.

I note that Micah Johnson is off the depth chart, won't play for the Riders. So perhaps our QBs will get a fraction of a second more time to think and throw, though I won't count on it with Charleston Hughes still motoring as per usual.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Statistically, what stands out most about the Riders is that they seldom beat themselves. Their defence doesn't generate many turnovers (only 24, last in the league) but their offence leads the league in fewest turnovers (19), including fewest fumbles lost (5), fewest interceptions thrown (10) and fewest turnovers on downs (4, tied with Calgary).

Despite the Lions 5-11 record, B.C. and Saskatchewan are among the league leaders in several defensive categories, including fewest net yards allowed (Saskatchewan is second at 300.7, B.C. is third at 324.0), fewest opposition scrimmage plays (B.C. is second at 52.1 per game, Saskatchewan is third at 52.4), fewest opposition first downs (Saskatchewan is first at 274, B.C. is third at 300), fewest opposition passes for a first down (B.C. is second with 151, Saskatchewan is third with 154) and fewest yards allowed on first down (Saskatchewan is first with 5.8, B.C. is second with 5.9). Saskatchewan also leads the league in fewest offensive touchdowns allowed (24). B.C. is seventh with 38 as a result of the Lions giving up the giving up the most big plays (Saskatchewan has given up the second fewest in that category).
cms22
Starter

thx for the color on the game and the roster changes.

defense has been playing so well (albeit against mediocre to very bad opposition) that it's a bit unfortunate we have to make changes (i see newsome is going on 1 game IR so i assume that's a forced change).

i've said this before, but i think we are reasonably good on canadians. but i think we need to develop and/or bring through more american talent. there are so many players graduating every year from american colleges..... completely aside, but what happened to all the players from that league that folded?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

A couple of minor notes for Ernie. Haynes drew into the starting role last week because Harris got hurt the week before. I assume Harris is good to go this week so Haynes drops to backup. For the Riders Micah Johnson was injured last week. From watching him hobble around it's no surprise he's unable to go. Wouldn't be shocked if he's out longer.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pleased to see Kraemer activated from the practice roster. Hope he see some action.
Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:01 pm
Pleased to see Kraemer activated from the practice roster. Hope he see some action.
X2.
I think the Sask game will primarily be O'Brien, but I do hope that Kraemar gets some action in his "bookend" game of the season
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Those planning to drive to the game best avoid Georgia and Hamilton around 4:30 PM due to climate change protest.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

What a porous defence
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions takes the lead with a 50 yd field goal
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fumble recovery by Butler
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a catch by Burnham
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

How the #@%& can you lose 27 yards on a play?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

12-9 at the half. Lions hanging in tough