Lions sign Brandon Bridge

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Don't know that this line from Matt Baker's current article on O'Brien (see Lions' website) "the Lions will hand the keys to O’Brien with newly-signed Brandon Bridge backing him up" necessarily needs to be interpreted as the definitive statement on how it all plays out come game time, but alas, young Kraemer is not mentioned. Given they've not been dressing three QBs all season, I do wonder if he'll even get a sniff.
Dusty
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 pm
Don't know that this line from Matt Baker's current article on O'Brien (see Lions' website) "the Lions will hand the keys to O’Brien with newly-signed Brandon Bridge backing him up" necessarily needs to be interpreted as the definitive statement on how it all plays out come game time, but alas, young Kraemer is not mentioned. Given they've not been dressing three QBs all season, I do wonder if he'll even get a sniff.
The only way Kraemer gets a sniff is if O'Brien is injured under the weight of the 6-7 man Sask rush, can't play the final game, and Bridge does nothing with the short package that they give him.

If Bridge survives the game and O'Brien cannot play in the final game, then Kraemer may be dressed but is unlikely to play unless the Stamps have run up the score by the 4th quearter.

BC's OC doesn't have the imagination to figure out plays for one new QB, let alone 2.
Reggiemac
Rookie

I believe Reillys contract limits who the lions can start at qb. thats how we got danny obrien . reilly approved him cause he poses no threat to take reillys job. so any qb te lions have that looks promissing cant get any game reps. i read this somwhere over the summer. anyone have any thoughs/
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I think Hervey signed Bridge in order to keep Kraemar buried on the practise roster in a last ditch effort to save his job.

See, if Kraemar gets on the field now and plays better than O'Brien (not a difficult challenge) people are going to question why Hervey did not dress 3 QBs down the stretch, especially once Reilly started needing regular "maintenance days" just to stay healthy enough to keep going after the beating he took all season.

The last thing Hervey wants to see right now is Kraemar light it up against the Riders or Stamps. Maybe next year. But for the remainder of 2019 he needs the optics to appear that Kraemar was not ready for prime time. Even if Bridge has long proven that he is not either.
maxlion
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:49 pm
I think Hervey signed Bridge in order to keep Kraemar buried on the practise roster in a last ditch effort to save his job.

See, if Kraemar gets on the field now and plays better than O'Brien (not a difficult challenge) people are going to question why Hervey did not dress 3 QBs down the stretch, especially once Reilly started needing regular "maintenance days" just to stay healthy enough to keep going after the beating he took all season.

The last thing Hervey wants to see right now is Kraemar light it up against the Riders or Stamps. Maybe next year. But for the remainder of 2019 he needs the optics to appear that Kraemar was not ready for prime time. Even if Bridge has long proven that he is not either.
But...then why did he sign Kraemer?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Belize City Lion wrote:

Isn't it up to the HC with input from the OC, who decides who plays and not the GM?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:15 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:

Isn't it up to the HC with input from the OC, who decides who plays and not the GM?
And if your boss goes out and signs Bridge, do you tell him "thanks but no thanks"?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 pm
The depth chart released today has Kraemar at #2. So unless he is one of the 2 healthy scratches on game day, he may finally get some action.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yeah, it's an interesting development BCL, as mentioned in the Sask/BC game thread, it's the first time all season the Lions have three QBs listed on the depth chart. I hope they all get a fair shake, they all deserve a chance to shine (or fade away). Best case scenario; they all three play and all three shine brightly! There's a good potential "problem" to have! Here's looking at the world through rosy-orange coloured lenses!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I know O’Brien has waited six years for this opportunity but I don't have high hopes for him. Ideally, I would like to see him play the first half and perhaps the third quarter if he’s doing well and the score is close. Otherwise I would plan to give Kraemer the third quarter and ride whichever QB is hottest in the fourth quarter. Bridge is a week away from being ready for any significant playing time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:44 pm
I know O’Brien has waited six years for this opportunity but I don't have high hopes for him. Ideally, I would like to see him play the first half and perhaps the third quarter if he’s doing well and the score is close. Otherwise I would plan to give Kraemer the third quarter and ride whichever QB is hottest in the fourth quarter. Bridge is a week away from being ready for any significant playing time.
Agreed. I still think Bridge's signing is little more than any other late season look for possible training camp invite next year plus the added insurance of having another QB to give them 2 to dress against Calgary in the unfortunate event either O'Brien or Kraemer get hurt tomorrow night. I just don't see any reason for him to play on 2 or 3 practices tomorrow unless injuries dictate it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Agreed. I still think Bridge's signing is little more than any other late season look for possible training camp invite next year plus the added insurance of having another QB to give them 2 to dress against Calgary in the unfortunate event either O'Brien or Kraemer get hurt tomorrow night. I just don't see any reason for him to play on 2 or 3 practices tomorrow unless injuries dictate it.
At the very least, Brandon Bridge has hopefully provided some valuable Rider intel for tomorrow night. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
At the very least, Brandon Bridge has hopefully provided some valuable Rider intel for tomorrow night. :wink:

DH :cool:
I doubt that there is any intel that Bridge can provide that isn't already on film, there to see for anyone willing to do the film study.