Lions sign Brandon Bridge

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have agreed to terms with Canadian QB Brandon Bridge in the wake of the injury to Mike Reilly. According to Farhan Lalji, the Lions expect Bridge to be the No. 2 QB. That could keep Grant Kraemer off the field.

Here's more from 3downnation.com:
B.C. Lions agree to terms with Canadian QB Brandon Bridge
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Be still my heart.

This could be little more than to have a 3rd QB in camp should O'Brien or Kraemer get hurt. Could also be a looksee/audition for a veteran backup roster spot on the 2020 training camp depth chart. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be a veteran in the mix competing for #2 in Kamloops. It's only a matter of who and whether there's more than 1. Could be O'Brien. Maybe Bridge. Perhaps neither with somebody else brought in.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yeah, that's about as underwhelming a move as I could have imagined. Well, at least he's a few years younger than O'Brien, and has a better nickname! "Air Canada" is at least more exciting than "the Butler". heh heh. But seriously -- c'mon! Mr. Hervey, think of the fans. At least afford young Kraemer his chance to shine for us. See what he's got over these next two home games.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There could be more opportunities for Canadian QBs next year if the CFL reduces the number of ratio-exempt QB roster spots from three to two. That could allow an athletic third-string QB like Bridge to fill a Canadian roster spot and line up in multiple positions on offence and special teams.
tedbear
Starter

Unless O'Brien and Kraemer both get injured I would consider it a total fail by the Lions if Bridge got in for one offensive play. The Lions are out of the playoffs and the last two games should be to give O'Brien and Kraemer time to play and develop and used to evaluate them for next years roster.

Bridge has been given numerous opportunities and has failed at them all. He is a great athlete with a cannon for an arm but his downfall is that he has never learned to read a defence and due to this he is unable to run an offence and gets sacked way to often when he is not turning the ball over.

If he is here for insurance for a 3rd string quarterback in case of injury then fine, but if he plays a down or is brought back to next years training camp then all I can do is shake my head and wonder what direction this team is going in.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:56 am
There could be more opportunities for Canadian QBs next year if the CFL reduces the number of ratio-exempt QB roster spots from three to two. That could allow an athletic third-string QB like Bridge to fill a Canadian roster spot and line up in multiple positions on offence and special teams.
Interesting speculation. That would be creative thinking. (But Jarious, if he returns, wouldn't likely know what to do with that potential on offense.)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

This to me is an indication that the Lions will not be content to finish out the season with O'Brien. It will take a while for Bridge to learn Jackson's Offence...oh wait, CFL Deffensces already know it and so might Bridge.
cms22
Starter

interesting signing...

CFL is definitely moving towards having canadian QB's on the roster. and getting credit for canadian QB vs. penalized as it is/was.

and as mentioned, maybe brandon can moonlight at receiver, wildcat QB etc.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cms22 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:37 pm
interesting signing...

CFL is definitely moving towards having canadian QB's on the roster. and getting credit for canadian QB vs. penalized as it is/was.

and as mentioned, maybe brandon can moonlight at receiver, wildcat QB etc.
There is more than one poster here that has more imagination and innovation than the Lions current OC.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

We already know what Bridge can do. Chuck the ball a mile and not much else. He will get killed because he can't read defenses and even if our O line is playing better they are not going to give Bridge all the steamboats he needs to find his receiver.

We also know what O'Brien can't do and that is play QB in the CFL.

What we don't know much about is Kraemer. He looked great in brief preseason action. I would be using these last two games to evaluate him. But of course Ed-monton Hervey (and likely Claybrooks too) are trying to save their jobs. 1 or 2 more wins would go a long way to avoiding the unemployment line.
jwbavalon
Rookie

Belize City Lion wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm
We already know what Bridge can do. Chuck the ball a mile and not much else. He will get killed because he can't read defenses and even if our O line is playing better they are not going to give Bridge all the steamboats he needs to find his receiver.

We also know what O'Brien can't do and that is play QB in the CFL.

What we don't know much about is Kraemer. He looked great in brief preseason action. I would be using these last two games to evaluate him. But of course Ed-monton Hervey (and likely Claybrooks too) are trying to save their jobs. 1 or 2 more wins would go a long way to avoiding the unemployment line.
I second that, BCL
maxlion
Legend

I think that Bridge is just a warm body to fill in for the last couple of games. No more than that. If the Lions or any other team was seriously interested in him, they could have brought him in any time during the year. Maybe he'll get some snaps, maybe not. Makes no difference either way.

Kraemer is a raw rookie so no point throwing him to the wolves. There is nothing to prove at this point in the season.

It seems like seeing if Kraemer can perform is the only thing fans have to look forward to for these final games, but that's not really fair for him if he's not ready. In the long view, it's best to bring him along slowly.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This signing makes no sense to me, unless he has been signed for next year too. If he just signed for last 2 games makes no sense. They are meaningless games and I would rather see Grant Kramer play, but I doubt he will. I think Bridge will be the backup for the rest of the year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How realistic is it for Bridges to learn the offence to the backup with 3-4 practices. Kramer on the other hand has been with the Lions all season and should have a good grasp of the offence.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Some points to consider:

1. O'Brien has had 118 pass attempts in 6 seasons in the CFL
(not sure if that counts last game but no matter) .
Translation: he's not had much chance to develop other than in practice running other team offences (and doing air passes and handoffs while Mike Reilly takes the snaps.

2. Kraemer has only had 1 pre-season game in which he looked good - but how does that pan out when the real action is happening like it is now and BC has faces good teams.

3. Brandon Bridge has had the most experience and he should know this offence as it's also kind of what McAdoo was running in Sask when Jarius was there. Sheesh pretty much everyone knows this offence.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy