Who Stays and Who Goes??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I hate to think the Lions have to blow this whole thing up and start a new GM/head coach process again. Then our rebuild gets further delayed.

I am willing to cut Hervey some slack. Yes, I believe he was overzealous in jettisoning "Wally's guys" (players with whom he perhaps didn't have a history or strong familiarity) but consider the following outlier. He had a new $725,000 per annum asset that he suddenly had to fit within the team's SMS. He should have a much better handle this off-season on the salary structure and who are priority signings.

He misread the tea leaves countless times on personnel but has made enough positive in-season moves IMO to be given another chance. Talent (or lack of) wasn't the biggest factor in this losing 2019 season. As for Claybrooks, I like his players' buy-in. Not crazy on some of in-game decision-making (54-yard field goal attempt? Going for it on 3rd and 2 with a new QB and plenty of time left in the game?) but I think he will be a fine head coach in time.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The top priority for the new owners would be to re-engage the few remaining fans. Will bringing back Ed Hervey who is the architect of this disaster attract more fan interest. I think not.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 pm
The top priority for the new owners would be to re-engage the few remaining fans. Will bringing back Ed Hervey who is the architect of this disaster attract more fan interest. I think not.
A new GM is not going to attract more fans (more to the point, who would this new GM even be? Who's out there??). Hell, bringing in Reilly barely caused a ripple, so I hardly think the GM really matters. The only way to reengage the fan base is by putting a winning, exciting product on the field.

I'll concede that if they finish 5-13, it would be hard to justify GM/HC "status quo," but I'd rather ownership consider what's best for the club rather than optics.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ed Hervey's comment that Claybrooks has done an excellent job this year is a joke. They likely will finish 5 and 13 and had Reilly for 16 games. Yes they had major turnover, but whose decision was it to fire most of the assistants? Claybrooks? Bad decision. Lions were predicted to challenge for the Grey Cup and few thought they would miss the playoffs or finish this bad. Claybrooks gets a failing grade in my books, not the A Hervey gives him. Ed's comment is pure spin, but Lions fans are not stupid. I agree with Lion King Hervey should be fired. He does not deserve a new contract for even 1 year. I rather they hire Simon or the other guy who worked under Buono.

So adding to my short list I say these people need to go:

Ed Hervey, Taylor A, Rich Stubler, the defensive line coach and among the players: Carter, Danny Jackson, the high priced OL they signed this year from Winnipeg, the entire linebackers corp, except the rookie linebacker who came in half way through the year, forgot his name, Thompson, Bartel, and Willis.
Reggiemac
Rookie

I cant see HC taking over DC duties as he is hqavingenough trouble being HC. He was trained by Stubler in Calgary so not much might change. with the stability we have on D now we need only settle on a MLB AND SOME INTERIOR D linemen. a much shorter shopping list and no one should be on our PR unless they have shown that they can compete for a starting job.
Reggiemac
Rookie

I agree that Carter needs to go. his mouthing off to oppoaing plaqyers is not a good example to follow and whenhis production doesnt keep up with his mouth then its time to go..
The_Pauser
Legend

Reggiemac wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
I agree that Carter needs to go. his mouthing off to oppoaing plaqyers is not a good example to follow and whenhis production doesnt keep up with his mouth then its time to go..
Do you realize that almost every player trash talks to the opposing team?
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:28 pm
Reggiemac wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
Do you realize that almost every player trash talks to the opposing team?

Exactly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy