Who Stays and Who Goes??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

So now that we are officially done who do we absolutely keep and who do we send packing?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Ok. I'll start.

Jarious Jackson

Carter.
Simonise.
Bartel
Willis
O'Brien

More to follow
cms22
Starter

carter is a complete cancer........... we never should have picked him up. no matter how many yards he picks up. and i'd say statistically he's been ok.

chungh and willis......... free up some $$$$$. not sure if willis expires or if he would have to be cut.

personally, i don't see much downside in getting rid of mike reilly...... not exactly burning up the CFL playoffs with his play the last couple of seasons.

i think we do have a workable core these days....... but will hervey, if he's still here, want to make big changes next year too?. we tried to play 11 canadians as a first-option strategy. we got down to 7 really quickly

....... i am not a big "veteran leadership" guy ala glen suitor, but you do need some stabilty. you need some players experienced at their position bringing in all kinds of new players

on one hand, we have a good canadian core, i think..... OTOH, i would like to have seen us develop some more american CFL players the last 2 seasons.

the one area i don't have a feel for is our defensive backfield....... but our defense have been good the last 6 games or so.
cms22
Starter

HC should take over DC duties too.... and i do think claybrooks should stay
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:20 pm
Ok. I'll start.

Jarious Jackson

Carter.
Simonise.
Bartel
Willis
O'Brien

More to follow
All good choices but I think Jackson and O’Brien stay. The league has a shortage of capable offensive coaches. And O’Brien is Reilly's hand-picked backup. I would much rather see the Lions develop Grant Kraemer, though.
yukonlion
All Star

I dont care if Obrien is Reiily's buddy, he has never shown anything, not a great, arm, cant run, and looks like he just came out of college, not been aroud for 4 years.. he has to go ...

Simonese too many drops
Cater for sure,
yes on Bartel
our linebackers are suspect
Willis yes, old and pretty mucH an OC every game...

Jackson yes, maybe even Claybrooks, he never looks like he knows whats going on, Stubler maybe but, defence did play well int he last half even against good teams (games we lost)... I think Hervey did a terrible jo in te off season and only made chnages once our record got bad... whos to say he wont make the same bad mistakes this off season....
maxlion
Legend

Obviously need to cut deadwood like Carter and O'Brien but more importantly need to bring in some fresh talent from the US to push for jobs so that we don't need to rely so much on recycled players from other teams. That's the only way to maximize the salary cap.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I wasn't in the "cut Carter" camp all season (even though I would not have brought him back next year), but after tonight I feel he has played his last game as a BC Lion. Too many undisciplined penalties tonight (and to be honest, for a few games now). Cut him or bench him, but Claybrooks needs to send a message that players who do selfish things that hurt the team have no place on his team.

Simonese has been a major disappointment. He should not be back. Too bad because he is a local kid and only 24, but he is not producing.

Willis has reached his best before date and seems to take more offside penalties than he makes tackles. Great in the room, but has become a liability.

Jarious has to go. Hiring a good experienced OC should not be too hard considering that whoever takes that job may only be a 3 game losing streak from becoming the next HC of the Lions.

Believe it or not, I bring back Claybrooks. But I also bring in someone like Mike Benevides as DC who could be a HC in waiting.

O'Brien has to go. It will be interesting to see if Hervey has the balls to sit Reilly down and tell him that he can't have his personal assistant on the roster at the expense of a bonafide back-up QB. Only way O'Brien keeps his job is if the CFL changes their mind about limiting teams to 2 QBs next year.

Hervey should probably be gone, but then who fills his shoes? I am not convinced Geroy is the guy, yet. Plus with ownership in flux it could turn into a complete sh*t show quickly. So maybe the best thing for the Lions is a bit of continuity?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

"I wasn't in the "cut Carter" camp all season (even though I would not have brought him back next year), but after tonight I feel he has played his last game as a BC Lion. Too many undisciplined penalties tonight (and to be honest, for a few games now). Cut him or bench him, but Claybrooks needs to send a message that players who do selfish things that hurt the team have no place on his team."

I missed the game tonight, what did he do?
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Coaches: Jarius Jackson, Rich Stubler, Ellis, Special Teams coach,

Players: Duron Carter, Josh Bartel, the entire linebacking corp, Odell Willis, Simonese, Lankford, Danny O'Brien,
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Definitely will be changes next year and maybe a few before the end of season but some of the dislike for players is not in my opinion warranted.

Much of the Lions OFF issues tonight were good old JJ not doing anything to stop that 7 man rush in the first half leaving BC QBs no time.

Why did the ESKs put up a 7 man front and have their DBs at the pass depth of BC routes?
ANS: Because Maas and ESK players know the BC plays and play calling.

Right from the early downfield pass that went incomplete as something happened to the pass OR just maybe some momentum or confidence from BC would work. End of the half they're at the Esks 13 yd line and pass two times with a QB who's rusty as hell and have to go for a FG. Get that FB in the game and run the ball more ..

Jackson as an OC is too much in the mode of the old Chapdelaine - just doesn't like to run consistently nor show some creativity.

Danny O'Brien had 114 Passing ATTs in 6 seasons - in other ways he basically hasn't played. He provides nothing different than Mike Reilly and is not really going to run either. Mike Reilly doesn't like a back up playing so now that he's down it's basically a rookie there.

This Lions OFF structure is stale and the same route running you see in games is EXACTLY what is seen in practices. No one is jumping on the REC for errors there either. The week before last some older fan in full Lions garb spoke to me and indicated he was there to see if anything new was coming on OFF. When he left to go golfing, he concluded as did I - NOPE. Nothing new.

BC runs an execution offence that is premised on we don't care if you know our plays - we'll just execute better BUT stale ain't working when other teams know your plays.

DEF they seemed to have a guy going down and he still gets more yards.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

my first choice to go is Hervey
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

I wasn't in the "cut Carter" camp all season either. I was rooting for the guy. But I've had it with the chirping. The guy has shown me that he is pathologically incapable of walking away from trash-talk, jabs, and insults (on the field and on social media). He cares way too much about what people think/say.

Yea, he draws some flags because he is so despised by opposing players, he gets under their skin really easily. But he also costs us a lot of yardage because he can't walk away.

CFL Wired (featuring a mic'd Duron Carter) last week was an embarrassment. I can't believe Claybrooks lets him get away with his antics.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

New OC, Dline coach, ST coach, DC.

Chung and Boyko need to re-sign for less $$.

O'Brien needs to be replaced by someone with potential to one day be a starter. Hire O'Brien as a QB coach.

I would bring Carter back along with some guys to push him and maybe win his job in TC.

With Bates getting the Oline playing better, it is now the LBs that are the big problem. For the next two games play Toomer at MAC and Haynes at Wil and see how they do. Might need to play Godber at C to make the ratio work.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:53 am
New OC, Dline coach, ST coach, DC.

Chung and Boyko need to re-sign for less $$.

O'Brien needs to be replaced by someone with potential to one day be a starter. Hire O'Brien as a QB coach.

I would bring Carter back along with some guys to push him and maybe win his job in TC.

With Bates getting the Oline playing better, it is now the LBs that are the big problem. For the next two games play Toomer at MAC and Haynes at Wil and see how they do. Might need to play Godber at C to make the ratio work.
If this administration can't find a better import receiver that Duron Carter then we should pack up the tents and call it a day. He is a childish embarrassment.