Ed Hervey's best move this season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What has been Ed Hervey’s best “in-season” move of 2019 (since the season started on June 15)?

Signing S Branden Dozier
No votes
Trading for Justin Renfrow from Calgary
No votes
Trading for Shawn Lemon from Toronto
13%
Signing DE Jonathan Newsome
7%
Replacing OL coach Bryan Chiu with Kelly Bates
80%
Other (e.g. signing Crezdon Butler, David Menard, Ryan Lankford, Josh Bartel etc.)
No votes

Total votes: 15
David
Team Captain

Say what you want about who Ed Hervey did and didn't sign in the off-season, he has definitely redeemed himself in terms of some shrewd moves during the season to fix the club.

Therefore, the poll questions asks, "What has been Ed Hervey’s best “in-season” move of 2019 (since the season started on June 15)?"

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

They were all good moves but Kelly Bates has seemed to work miracles with an often-confused and overmatched offensive line. Without that move, nothing else matters. Dozier is my pick for defensive MOP. Lemon, Newsome and fellow mid-season re-acquisition David Menard have generated a solid pass rush for the first time this season. The other signings are solid supporting pieces. I just wish some of these moves had been made sooner. The first half of the season was a writeoff.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure that trading to get a player back that we could have had from the get go counts as a shrewd move. Seems more like snatching the fat from the fire. Regardless, the OLine coaching change has seems to been the catalyst for much improved play in that area. Therefore, I picked that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:25 pm
I'm not sure that trading to get a player back that we could have had from the get go counts as a shrewd move.
I agree. And that is why I prefaced Ed's off-season mistakes (letting Shawn Lemon walk for the inexperienced Mat Boesen for example, was a definite misfire).

So given that, you can't say that trading Coleman (who hasn't exactly been lighting it up in Toronto) for a guy who's had eight sacks in seven games since coming back to BC doesn't qualify as a strong move to improve the club.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lemon.

By trading for Lemon, Ed admits to a mistake and takes the necessary steps to correct it. Risky because if Lemon does not have an impact then Ed really looks bad.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't blame Hervey for not re-signing Lemon. We don't know what it would have taken to keep him versus what he wound up signing for in Toronto. I think Hervey, like all GMs trying to balance the cap, had to make some difficult choices. As it was he retained 3/4 of the starting DL that finished last season strong. How many GMs were able to do that? Early on he made choices and extended Willis and the younger Coleman. Louis was under a rookie contract. Similarly not re-signing Menard was a cap move to save money and open up playing time for Grodin. Who would have thought that with Willis, Louis, Coleman and Luke all returning with the addition of supposed legendary Stubler that Coleman and Louis would be so ineffective and the entire DL would fall flat on its face? That can't be hung on not giving Lemon whatever he demanded for salary.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Speaking of Mat Boesen whatever happened to him?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 pm
Speaking of Mat Boesen whatever happened to him?
Got hurt in week 5. He's been on the 6G injured list ever since.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cms22
Starter

i would maybe say adding durant (sp?)

i was critical of the whole shawn lemon situation but i agree that maybe he wanted to sign in toronto anyway.

kinda like adam bighill.... we were never getting him when he came back from new orleans. winnipeg lucked into him due to a negative situation.
David
Team Captain

Well this thread did not age well...

I didn't think our O-line was all that good today. Run blocking was pretty good, pass protection not so much. Lemon was quiet. Dozier couldn't break up that deep pass to that showboat Ellingson (even though it was Johnson's man). Newsome might have been the best of this bunch today.

cms22, Durant was not included as he was an off-season signing. This pertains to Hervey's in-season adjustments.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cms22
Starter

in-season it has to be getting lemon back or getting new OL coach. and whatever went into that.

did we make big changes in defensive philosophy in-season?

someone mentioned to me that stubler defense is pretty complex. complex AND tons of new players don't mix well.

to me, we were never that horrible. BUT, there's been too much "round pegs into square holes" and big terrible let-downs (but that's unfamiliarity with teammates/schemes/etc. .............. and i can't believe we are at a point where few big changes are required this off-season.)

to me it seems like lions have been a complete patchwork ever since we beat winnipeg in grey cup. lulay/harris and mega-dominant defensive line......... just seems like it's been seeing what fits and trial/error ever since. maybe that's most teams most years though