B.C. Lions at Edmonton Oct. 12, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm
As mentioned (B.C.FAN) Kevin Haynes #42 will be starting at MLB against Edmonton tomorrow. I've had an eye on the young fellow and love his enthusiasm and toughness and am pleased to see him getting this opportunity to start. Here's the link to Matt Baker's detailed article on him from last month for anyone who didn't see it. There's a Biggie #44 connection. https://www.bclions.com/2019/09/10/batt ... es-legacy/
Also, it's a bit curious, isn't it (?) that Lemar Durant who's said to have a season-ending foot injury would be placed on the 1-game not the 6-game. But perhaps there's some merely mathematical reason behind it and nothing more.
When on the 1 game IR a player can still practice with the team while a 6 game IR player cannot. So maybe they want Durant at practice to help coach his replacement???
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Also, it's a bit curious, isn't it (?) that Lemar Durant who's said to have a season-ending foot injury would be placed on the 1-game not the 6-game. But perhaps there's some merely mathematical reason behind it and nothing more.
When on the 1 game IR a player can still practice with the team while a 6 game IR player cannot. So maybe they want Durant at practice to help coach his replacement???
Hmm... there's a thought. If so, would make some sense wouldn't it. Good thinking.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
As mentioned (B.C.FAN) Kevin Haynes #42 will be starting at MLB against Edmonton tomorrow. I've had an eye on the young fellow and love his enthusiasm and toughness and am pleased to see him getting this opportunity to start. Here's the link to Matt Baker's detailed article on him from last month for anyone who didn't see it. There's a Biggie #44 connection. https://www.bclions.com/2019/09/10/batt ... es-legacy/
Harris did seem to be hobbled by something last week. He suddenly went down while on the bench in the second half and had to be attended to by staff. I don't think he returned after that.

As for Durant I don't know if it makes much difference at this stage 1G vs 6G. If they aren't hard up against the cap then it doesn't much matter. In the grand scheme of things it's 1/6 of his regular season salary. Haven't seen any particulars on his foot injury but perhaps "season ending" means regular season ending and there's a possibility of returning at some point in the post season?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If a team has cap space at or near the end of the season can they use it as a signing bonus paid in the current season for a contract covering next season?
cms22
Starter

thanks for all the color.. much appreciated :)

where are the eskimos at? i've lost track but i think they've been fairly poor recently... have to double check
cms22
Starter

Esks are 6-0 vs. toronto/ottawa/BC..........0-7 vs. the top teams.... 1-1 vs montreal..

surprisingly from what i've seen, they haven't played saskatchewan yet.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 pm
If a team has cap space at or near the end of the season can they use it as a signing bonus paid in the current season for a contract covering next season?
Yes, I believe the cap is based on cash spending in the calendar year.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 am
In a bit of a surprise, Brandon Rutley has been activated and is listed as backup to John White at RB. The two of them don't usually dress in the same game, and the Lions have pulled a surprise in the past by scratching White at the last minute.
I love this move and was hoping it would come to fruition. I don't know if they would ever try a 2 back set but at minimum, having a more punishing back like Rutley spell off White will get the Esks' front 7 something else to think about. Both can catch swing passes out of the backfield and give Reilly more options if protection breaks down.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Roughing the passer against Odell Willis. Seen this film too many times
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another 2 and out for the Lions to start the game
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not looking good for Reilly
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Reilly looks done for the year. Hopefully not longer than that.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What happens if O'Brien gets injured ?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Bring on Kraemer! Let's see the kid play.
Kamloops Lion
All Star

This is what many fans had been fearing. Reilly out and no real backup developed. We have Danny O’Brien, O’Reilly’s butler, when Kramer should have been given reps this year to prepare for something like this. Inexcusable. #