how would you weight these factors in our recent success?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

1) we improved alot...nothing to do with my question, but the OLINE needed fixing and we had/have the talent to do a good job there. i would also note i think figueroa sp? was out much of the earlier part of the season. not sure about sukh chung. but maybe the same

2) we are playing really horrible teams (or middle-pack and just lost their dynamic starting QB)

3) we weren't as bad most of us (me included thought)

i would go 45% improved lions, 40% terrible opposition, and 15% we weren't nearly as bad as our record or our point differential.

i would note if you look at the expected points scored by the opposition (you can figure it out from the spread and over/under), we have held teams to 13 points/per game less than their expected points scored the last 5 game.
BC 1988
Legend

Kelly Bates working with a stable O-Line is most of the reason the Lions "aren't as bad as we thought" and are also much improved. They are playing real tire fire teams (plus MTL gifted them a win) and are feeling loose. When you have very little chance of playoffs, a lot of the normal pressure isn't there. (Same way I feel as a fan--I have no expectations, so seeing them win is just a bonus).

I won't be surprised if they beat EDM this weekend, but I'm not going to worry about something that's still a very remote possibility. Enjoy the wins they get to make the season more respectable, but that's it for me.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

2 reasons very simply. Oline as mentioned has played lights out better of late. I am still trying to figure out how a coaching change can make that much of a difference to a group of players whose role is blocking.
Other reason - D line. They have improved as well.

I honestly think the key to any successful team involves
A. putting a lot pressure on opposing QB's
B. keeping said pressure off your own QB.

Do those two things and any halfway talented group of players elsewhere can look like world beaters.

Playing dumpster fire teams doesn't hurt either but we have seen good teams go cold and and cold teams heat up this season so you have to think that besides injuries, the talent levels on teams may not be quite a disparate as W-L records may indicate.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
jwbavalon
Rookie

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:39 pm
Kelly Bates working with a stable O-Line is most of the reason the Lions "aren't as bad as we thought" and are also much improved. They are playing real tire fire teams (plus MTL gifted them a win) and are feeling loose. When you have very little chance of playoffs, a lot of the normal pressure isn't there. (Same way I feel as a fan--I have no expectations, so seeing them win is just a bonus).

I won't be surprised if they beat EDM this weekend, but I'm not going to worry about something that's still a very remote possibility. Enjoy the wins they get to make the season more respectable, but that's it for me.
I agree. It's a night out watching the Lions (and the CFL) and a win is icing on the cake.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The play of the offensive line is the biggest factor in the Lions' turnaround. They gave up 43 sacks in the first 11 games and just 5 sacks in the last 5 games since Kelly Bates took over as position coach. That has allowed Mike Reilly to find his receivers and push the ball downfield.

The level of opposition is probably the second biggest factor in the turnaround but the improved play of the defence is also a big factor.

Aided by the schedule, the Lions are the hottest team in the league and are playing with confidence for the first time this year. Their talent level was never as bad as their record suggested. In the first half of the season, the Lions generated an average of just 296 yards of net offence, they were outscored by 113 points and their turnover ratio was minus-8. So far in the second half of the season they've averaged 412 yards of net offence (third best in the league behind Calgary and Hamilton), they've outscored their opposition by 98 points (first in the league) and their turnover ration is plus-8 (first in the league). The next three games will show us whether their turnaround was real or was due mainly to the competition. I think it's real.
David
Team Captain

Just a hypothetical, worst-case scenario here, but let's assume the Leos lose their last three games. I doubt this will happen the way the club is playing, but it could given the level of competition (Sask and Calgary) and the way the Esks have owned us lately (and our trouble beating West Division teams in general these past few years).

Anyway, if this does happen, it would be the first time in history that we will have failed to beat a Western club in the regular season. We have never gone "oh for West" since we started in 1954. Even in our 1 win season, we beat a Western team.

Sorry for that buzzkill. Carry on.... :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyway, it would be the first time in history that we will have failed to beat a Western club in the regular season. We have never gone "oh for West" since we started in 1954. Even in our 1 win season, we beat a Western team.

Sorry for that buzzkill. Carry on.... :wink:
DH :cool:
OK Buzzkill David...... I will parry your comment with with the fact that BC Lions currently have the longest winning streak in the CFL . Take that!!!

Sure, next week may be the best chance to break your "oh for West" jinx, and I expect that our Leo's will do just that.
D.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

By season end the Lions will have secured their place in history as the greatest last place team of all time in the CFL.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm
By season end the Lions will have secured their place in history as the greatest last place team of all time in the CFL.
The 2008 Edmonton Eskimos would like a word with you.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Without the improved play of the O line, the Lions don't beat anyone (except maybe that Argo team last Saturday). But I doubt we would be on a 4 game winning streak if 3 of those games had not been against Ottawa and Toronto.

We probably will beat the Eskimos this weekend. I think that team is lot more dysfunctional than they publicly appear and Maas will get canned unless they at least make it to the Grey Cup.

Likely the Lions come back down to earth the week after, losing to the Riders and ending any faint hope of making the playoffs. But a 5 game winning streak in is probably more than enough to save Claybrook's job after what will probably be a 6-12 season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 pm
2 reasons very simply. Oline as mentioned has played lights out better of late. I am still trying to figure out how a coaching change can make that much of a difference to a group of players whose role is blocking.
Other reason - D line. They have improved as well.

I honestly think the key to any successful team involves
A. putting a lot pressure on opposing QB's
B. keeping said pressure off your own QB.

Do those two things and any halfway talented group of players elsewhere can look like world beaters.

Playing dumpster fire teams doesn't hurt either but we have seen good teams go cold and and cold teams heat up this season so you have to think that besides injuries, the talent levels on teams may not be quite a disparate as W-L records may indicate.
The other thing with the OL is that the coaching change coincidentally happened at the same time as another change in OL personnel occurred. Saturday's game was the 5th game under Bates. It was also the 5th straight game with the same starting five after the OL seemed to be a revolving door of changes most of the season. In Chiu's final game they had Figueroa, Foucault, Norman, Chungh and Renfrow with Steward on the 1G. That would be Chungh's last game before going down for the season. Foucault switch back to RG with Steward coming back to take over his familiar spot at LG between Figs and the center.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Definitely a combo of things that aren't easily put into numbers.

OL improvement and stability in people has helped as well as a new voice who can inspire confidence - something that is big in football.

DEF improved also as have STs.

Football as they say on TSN is two things: Confidence and Momentum.

Team Culture: Forget which longer term offensive (IIRC) player said he's been on better record Lion teams but none as good together as this group in hanging together. Yes, even Duron Carter is a team player. Quite frankly if I were him I'd be *beeotch* on how I was being used.

While the Argos were trounced brutally I still have concerns that what you see at practice and games is the same old. Was at a practice and an older fellow there (not that I'm young lol) spoke briefly to me as he was looking to see anything new and like me - nada, zip, zero.

I think Jarius learned from Chapdelaine - don't play well with other offensive coaches.

When he calls the fly sweep with Carter to the boundary/short side I find myself asking if he's trying to get this guy fired. Also the pass route structure needs improvement.

We didn't see much of O'Brien but he's not ready for prime time if he was needed. I see little upside as physically he's not a runner - just a nice safe, non-threatening backup. James Franklin sure didn't benefit from being 13's back up in Edmonton.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cms22
Starter

great comments, thank you.

the improvement of the OLine is unbelievable........ and i was at least moderately wrong, they haven't really done it with tons of $$$$/talent..... renfrow and norman are new.. stability and having a dominant anchor like figueroa helps.......

and i applaud the lions for going import at center. it breaks a CFL talent "rule" but you have to do whatever is necessary................. bombers basically finally got over the hump 4 or 5 years ago by going import at guard. you basically need to make things work.

defense i have no real feel....... getting back Shawn Lemon was big. of course, it elicits the giant question as to why he left in the first place................

i basically agree with at least one poster here and milt stegall on TV. basically do anything to protect the QB and anything to get a pass rush. people will say "if you rush too many, you won't have safety help" but does that really matter when the opposing QB has 5 seconds to throw.

these last few games will be very interesting.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And the 95 percent answer to this starts to be revealed: Because they played Ottawa (2), Toronto and Montreal minus Adams.