Toronto at B.C. Oct. 5, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions will be looking for a fourth consecutive victory when they host the Argos Saturday night. They'll also also be looking to keep their slim playoff hopes alive if the Hamilton Tiger-Cats cooperate and beat the visiting Edmonton Eskimos Friday.

The Lions have placed rookie receiver Jevon Cottoy on the 1-game injured list as a result of the hamstring injury he suffered last week against Montreal. Shaq Johnson is listed on the depth chart at Cottoy's slotback position, although he lacks Cottoy's size and blocking ability. Rashaun Simonise, who had his first catch as a Lion in the fourth quarter last week after Cottoy was injured, is listed as the starter at wide receiver. Simonise is backed up by French rookie Benjamin Plu, who was suspended when he left training camp in May for personal reasons and has been on the practice roster since rejoining the team in July. Mexican rookie Fernando Richarte, who had no stats in 7 games on the active roster, returns to the practice roster.

On defence, there are no changes to the starting lineup. Backup DB Josh Woodman is added to the roster from the 6-game injured list and will be an asset on special teams.

The 2019 B.C. Football Hall of Fame class will be introduced at halftime by Kay Ackles. The inductees include ex-Lions Sonny Homer, Jamie Taras, Paul Giroday and Brad Yamaoka, the latter two being honoured for their achievements in amateur football, as is former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Walter Passaglia, younger brother of Lui. North Vancouver native and former NFL receiver Jerome Pathon is also among the inductees.

Here's a game preview and depth chart, courtesy of Matt Baker at bclions.com:

GAME PREVIEW | LIONS VS. ARGONAUTS
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions' depth chart posted on Twitter is different from the one on the team's website. The Twitter version has Rashaun Simonise at slotback and Shaq Johnson at WR. Either way, I have to assume that Simonise will be the fifth receiver and will get fewer reps and targets than Shaq.

David
Team Captain

No Mike Reilly today at the walk through. Feeling "under the weather," per TSN's Farhan Lalji. Missed a practice last week too. I wonder if it's cold symptoms or his back is really bothering him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:29 pm
No Mike Reilly today at the walk through. Feeling "under the weather," per TSN's Farhan Lalji. Missed a practice last week too. I wonder if it's cold symptoms or his back is really bothering him.

It looked like he practiced earlier in the week, so cold symptoms don't really pass the smell test for me. He got sick, got better, then got sick again? My guess is he's a bit banged up.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The roof is expected to be Closed for the game, which is a good thing.
VictoriaFan
Starter

i'd like to see Lyles rotate with White more often, maybe better tackling on the run, ...asking too much?
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:11 pm
The roof is expected to be Closed for the game, which is a good thing.
But I thought everyone loved the roof being open
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not when it is cool outside.
cms22
Starter

i think the roof being open/closed has to do with time of year and to a lesser degree time of day.

if we had a nice outdoor stadium, designed partially for wet/cool weather, then it might be different.

push comes to shove, i'd be happy with it open all the time.

it's very interesting how our schedule seems so skewed at times to the quality of the competition. and of course, many of the teams we lost to early on are much worse now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Could still get interesting in playoff chase. Ticats demolition of Esks + BC win shrinks the EEE lead to 4 going into CW next weekend. Could turn into 2 with a Lion win there. Lions still need to run the table but I think the odds of them taking Riders and Stamps in the final 2 games in BC Place are better than EE getting a split in the home and home in their final 2 vs the Stubblejumpers.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun writes about the Argos' injury woes on defence and on the challenge facing starting QB James Franklin.

Argos continue to plug holes on defence for tonight’s tilt against Lions
David
Team Captain

Is this what it has come to? Are the Lions now so far down the sporting pecking order that they not only use the Toronto Sun's Frank Zicarelli's preview of tomorrow's game but they totally bungle the game time and date? :roll:

Yes, they are short-staffed over there, but this serves to illustrate that the Lions must get so few clicks that not only do these mistakes occur, but they escape scrutiny. No way a mistake like this happens with the Canucks.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the playoffs, well the BC Lions version anyway. I actually have a tinge of excitement about this game. For the first time in what feels like a very long time, the outcome matters for the Lions. Not because I think the Lions can actually run the table and squeak into the real post-season, but because a win tonight sets up a game next week against Edmonton where the stakes will be just a little bit more real.

Could Edmonton lose out? I think so. Will the Lions win out? Not likely, considering that our last two games of the season are against teams that will be fighting to win the west division. But hey, welcome to the faux playoffs. A win tonight and we have at least one more game to get excited about.
The_Pauser
Legend

Sad that the fickle fans ruined it for everyone else. The roof should be OPEN. If it's a bit chilly out guess what? Wear a jacket. What do fans in every other CFL stadium do when it's cold out?

I was a bit chilly last game, but I didn't mind it one bit. I loved the roof being open, I loved the fresh air, and the feeling of being at a football game.

The other argument would be that it wouldn't be as cold in the stadium if more people showed up...but that's calling out more than just Lions fans. That's calling out the so-called "sports fans" in Vancouver and BC who are overall an embarrassment to the hometown teams. Not saying anyone on here falls into that category because it's clear we don't. But it bothers me how if the team has a losing season they'll lose half their fanbase from going to the games. You see it with the Canucks, White Caps, Lions, any team really.
Roar you Lions roar!
Reggiemac
Rookie

be a purrfect opportunity to give Kraemer some reps but Reillys contract doesnt allow for this so we re stuck with an injured Reilly or a substandrd replacement was Hervey thinking?