Keith Urban GC Halftime Show

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

After thinking outside the box with Alessia Cara last year, they decided to go with a more expected entertainer (for Cowtown anyway):
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/26/keith-urb ... time-show/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As a devoted fan of hard rock and somebody who wouldn't go to a C and W concert if somebody gave me a ticket and 2 free beers I will gladly spend half time down in the concourse. Having said that I've long become numb to GC halftime acts. If it's somebody who piques my interest like Imagine Dragons or Lenny Kravitz I'll go back to my seat and watch. Otherwise I'm quite content to spend halftime in the concourse BSing and sipping on a beer while others who happen to like the act enjoy the show.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

I am also no fan of the genre, (other than John Mellencamp's stylings) and don't know how "country" Urban is (funny name for an entertainer in that business). From listening to a few songs, he's got the twang, but pretty slick production that puts him in the Country-Pop category.

I guess with the news they will have the first ever GC Rodeo,
https://www.greycupfestival.ca/event/grey-cup-rodeo/
you have to go with something to complete the audience experience.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 pm
As a devoted fan of hard rock and somebody who wouldn't go to a C and W concert if somebody gave me a ticket and 2 free beers I will gladly spend half time down in the concourse. Having said that I've long become numb to GC halftime acts. If it's somebody who piques my interest like Imagine Dragons or Lenny Kravitz I'll go back to my seat and watch. Otherwise I'm quite content to spend halftime in the concourse BSing and sipping on a beer while others who happen to like the act enjoy the show.
I guess we share the same musical tastes as I also would not go to a C&W concert, except for the 2 times my on-line "friend" got me free tickets. One was when he was the "Wild West" stage manager for the Brooks and Dunn Neon Circus and Wild West Tour. It was a show at Rogers Arena that consisted of acts over the afternoon/evening involving Brooks and Dunn, Montgomery Gentry, Dwight Yokum, Toby Keith and an unknown Keith Urban. Urban was much more rock and roll than country and western and quite frankly he was the only artist that seemed to give a *poop* about entertaining the crowd and putting on a good show. My friend confirmed that Urban was consistently the best of all the B&D support acts on that tour.

Since then I've had a "saw you when you were a nothing" thought about Keith Urban. I've no idea what his music lis like now, but in 2002, he was rocking up a storm. Likely will go over quite well in Calgary.
maxlion
Legend

"Keith Urban goes to Cowtown"...not my cup of tea but like the concept.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, an Australian cowpoke.

He is probably fine for the venue and the purpose. Half time entertainment is the last of my interests at these events. They always seem a poor cousin to the Half time shows at the Superbowl.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

I'm looking at (for me) an alien world, but I'd say Urban is a big name country performer for Canada--impressive 19 No 1's and 29 Top 10's
https://www.billboard.com/music/keith-u ... a-country/

Social media has the usual griping about a non-Canadian performer being selected, but he is probably the best fit for this event venue (with all the name recognition for country fans).

Are there country fans here who think there is a Canadian country performer who would be better for this Cowtown GC?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:06 pm

He is probably fine for the venue and the purpose. Half time entertainment is the last of my interests at these events. They always seem a poor cousin to the Half time shows at the Superbowl.
Yeah well, except for the time when Shania Twain (one of the only country singer for whom I have a CD) played the half time show at the Grey Cup followed by starring at the Super Bowl that same football season.

Blues, Motown/soul, classic rock are what I listen to. The amazing amount of Blues bands and Blues musicians in Victoria and Nanaimo is one of the main reasons that I live in Victoria.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Like any show, they have good ones and not so good ones. I don't really dig the SuperBowl HT shows either but generally speaking the production values are way higher south of the border (as is the budget I presume).
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:

Yeah well, except for the time when Shania Twain (one of the only country singer for whom I have a CD) played the half time show at the Grey Cup followed by starring at the Super Bowl that same football season.

Blues, Motown/soul, classic rock are what I listen to. The amazing amount of Blues bands and Blues musicians in Victoria and Nanaimo is one of the main reasons that I live in Victoria.
Black Eyed Peas and Lenny Kravitz are two other acts who did Super Bowl halftime after they did the same for Grey Cup.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Saw Urban do a Tom Petty tribute when he died and he can rock, I think it will be far superior than say...Justin Beiber
jwbavalon
Rookie

Re: SuperBowl Acts

Per league policy, the NFL will cover all production costs of the halftime show, which can exceed $10 million, but will not pay the performers.
The show essentially acts as a self-promotion event that can boost new album sales and help keep an artist relevant.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has done a good job of signing well-known or cutting edge acts but production values are sorely lacking. The worst example I can recall was in 2014 at B.C. Place when Imagine Dragons performed on a mobile stage with a high backdrop on the visitors’ sideline facing the press box. Three-quarters of the people in the stadium could only see the back of the stage.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:

A fan with exquisite taste ! :thup:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 pm
The CFL has done a good job of signing well-known or cutting edge acts but production values are sorely lacking. The worst example I can recall was in 2014 at B.C. Place when Imagine Dragons performed on a mobile stage with a high backdrop on the visitors’ sideline facing the press box. Three-quarters of the people in the stadium could only see the back of the stage.
As one who sat on the side of the field behind the stage I too felt a bit ripped off. However I also understand that the target audience for GC Halftime Show is not the 50% or so of the stadium audience that stays in their seats to watch. The main target audience for both the network and the performers is the several million who are watching at home. That is no doubt why the Imagine Dragon was positioned the way it was, facing the main TV cameras and broadcast crews to give the best presentation on TV.