Montreal vs. BC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

weak opponents, but very nice to string together a 3 game winning streak.

i thought khari's 3rd down gamble was fine. they could have just as easily have botched the FG snap. ............. it's analogous to pete carroll passing on the one yard line in the super bowl. the problem was the interception, not the call.

i will say that the TSN play-by-play man (who i did not recognize) questioned the call before the fumble......... the TSN guy seemed like he had little clue as to why a TD was much better than a FG......... my guess is that the Lions would have had a chance to kick a longish FG to win the game if Mtl kicked the FG.

i can't remember but did montreal bring in a backup for that 3rd and 1 gamble. i question bringing in backups for 3rd and 1 at any time is completely unnecessary. are QB's getting hurt on these plays?.......... if you want to get fancy, train a tailback to handle the snap and do the 3rd and 1....... anyway, i seriously question bringing in a cold player in that high stress situation.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It was Pipkin who came in to take the 3rd down snap. Never liked the idea of bringing in backups cold for 3rd down conversions.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 am
Carter was mad about the tackle up around his helmet. I dont think it was taunting. bb
Carter gets knocks from fans but I like this guy and I also take in practices and see how he does his job there and how he interacts with the coaches, GM at times, QB, REC and others including the DEF.

The routes and his role are structured in a certain way and the long toss to Durant also has that same downfield for all WRs and I've seen him snag that in practice. But I see in games it's the Durant and Shaq that get open.

I never see Carter corrected for route running by the coaches BUT I'd like to go out on that field and restructure some of those pass routes and run they so Carter is more open (and others).

Carter knows the plays and he is never corrected.

The REC coach and RB coach seem not to have input with Jarius - he seems to model off Chapdelaine - don't bother me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Nobody doubts the talents of this guy, just his temperament. I don't care how angry he was about the tackle. As a player, you have to keep the bigger picture in mind. In a tight game, in the 4th Qtr, you can't be taking penalties of the brain cramp variety. Same goes for Odell Willis. Neither of these players are rookies, both of them are well aware of the consequences of dumb penalties. It is a team sport and the fortunes of many rely on the ability to play as a team. Selfish, unnecessary penalties can cost games. If they have to bench or cut a player like Carter, whose contributions this year have been modest, to make an example, then that is ok by me. The deal with Carter and Willis in particular is that these two players over the years have continually done the same foolish things semi-regularly. It is optimistic, to say the least, to think that either of them are going to change their stripes now. In short, we will be waiting for the next time and on that occasion we might not be so fortunate as to win the game. Willis is probably done after this season so that is that. If Carter weren't back next year, I don't believe it is going to seriously weaken our team. You let a guy like Arceneaux go and bring in Carter and I fail to see how that improves things. If it is just about money, I"m sure there are a lot of WR's out there that can be had for the same and could contribute as much as Carter has without the potential for jaw dropping stupidity. I will say Carter has been less of a distraction this year than I expected.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:43 am
It was Pipkin who came in to take the 3rd down snap. Never liked the idea of bringing in backups cold for 3rd down conversions.
It's not like Pipkin is a greenhorn and it wasn't like he was coming in cold.. He was their opening day starter until he was injured in the 3rd quarter and Adams took over. He started 2 more games when Adams was injured in August. I was actually a bit surprised Schiltz got the nod for this game over Pipkin. That fateful play was his 4th carry of the game, all in the second half. He had already successfully scored a TD on a 1st and goal from the one and converted a 3rd and short into a 1st down.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

Nice to see another win . Montreal is not a weak team as stated above . TSN panelists ranked the top 2 Eastern teams to be as good as the top 2 Western teams . Even though they were with out VA , they still had their opening day starter and still opted to play Matt Shiltz . So obviously had high confidence in him , and rightly so , he looked like a pretty good QB . So a win against a good team that has been a pretty hot the last half of the season. But no pleasing some people who are able to spin anything in a negative fashion.
I too , do not get the hate for Carter . He had 1 bad penalty last night , does that 1 infraction warrant tarring and feathering the guy? To those claiming this supposed history he has had to justify the hate , what has he done so bad THIS year to be run out of town for ? Whatever he may have done elsewhere in the past is irrelevant here . He is only rightly judged here in BC for what he's done while here. You could make a case for sub standard performance possibly , but not a case for bad behavior . A single penalty is not a deal breaker with a reasonable person IMO .
But even performance wise , he has been a lot better the last few games , having tossed some nice long passes even , one a TD last game as well as scoring one himself in that game . Could also be the way he's been used too . I see Toppy has been reporting on the practices , and sees no problem watching Carter there in any of his interactions . Everything I've seen backs that up .
I would also say Ditto for Odell Willis . He may be getting long in the tooth , but has not been a problem player while here in BC either . Those making these accusations , i ask you to present a list of infractions to support your case . And only while with BC please .
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I thought the Carter penalty was dumb and undisciplined. I couldn't figure out why he was so visibly upset. In hindsight if it was because of a high tackle I think the OC call was not for what he said to an Alouette player but how he voiced his opinion to the officials. At least it happened after 1st down was gained so only cost them 10 yards in field position but I think that pushed them out from good FG position.

As for his play on. The night he made some key grabs at the right time. What I don't understand however is why the Lions continue to try getting the ball to him on the flat at the line of scrimmage expecting him to bust a decent gain. That play hasn't work all season long fopr anything more than a 1 or 2 yard gain but they keep going to it.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It's not hate but it is a statement about how you expect players to play. Not just athletically but with their heads. History does matter. It speaks to a pattern of behaviour and a unwillingness to learn. This season is cooked anyway so the impact may not be as large but you are trying to establish a culture on a team not just for now but for next year too. It's the kind of behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated by any team but especially so when the game is in doubt. Unfortunately for Carter, it isn't just last night. If it was, people might be saying it was an aberration and leave it at that. For him, it isn't an aberration it is a pattern. Odell too has a history, particularly with these spearing type hits. As a team, one can decide to tolerate that kind of repeated mistake making but in most cases, do something often enough and you get canned.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:09 pm
I thought the Carter penalty was dumb and undisciplined. I couldn't figure out why he was so visibly upset. In hindsight if it was because of a high tackle I think the OC call was not for what he said to an Alouette player but how he voiced his opinion to the officials. At least it happened after 1st down was gained so only cost them 10 yards in field position but I think that pushed them out from good FG position.

As for his play on. The night he made some key grabs at the right time. What I don't understand however is why the Lions continue to try getting the ball to him on the flat at the line of scrimmage expecting him to bust a decent gain. That play hasn't work all season long fopr anything more than a 1 or 2 yard gain but they keep going to it.
I thought they said it was for taunting . I agree it was a dumb penalty to take as well as costly . But it was a one off penalty so far for Carter this season , not a pattern as some seem to imply . Would have a have a look at the video of the tackle again to see if he had a case on the tackle being questionable .
I agree with you on those stupid play calls behind the line of scrimmage . Far too many that are only good for 1 yard or even less .
pennw
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:19 pm
It's not hate but it is a statement about how you expect players to play. Not just athletically but with their heads. History does matter. It speaks to a pattern of behaviour and a unwillingness to learn. This season is cooked anyway so the impact may not be as large but you are trying to establish a culture on a team not just for now but for next year too. It's the kind of behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated by any team but especially so when the game is in doubt. Unfortunately for Carter, it isn't just last night. If it was, people might be saying it was an aberration and leave it at that. For him, it isn't an aberration it is a pattern. Odell too has a history, particularly with these spearing type hits. As a team, one can decide to tolerate that kind of repeated mistake making but in most cases, do something often enough and you get canned.
I think no player or coach on the team would agree( even privately) with you and neither do I . They would all judge him what he has done with BC only . They all say that too , they go by only their personal experience with team mates , not by things that happened elsewhere earlier. Players say it all the time . They start with a clean slate , otherwise they would not be here . It's called being given a chance to prove them self with their new team .
I'd like to see the actual list of infractions you have for either player while with BC . I don't think you could provide much of a list.
maxlion
Legend

I don't hate Carter or any player on any team.

I'm not sure what he brings to the team. At this stage in his career, he seems to be a fringe CFL player on a bad team. He has a habit of putting his ego before his team. I think we saw this last night. Luckily it didn't cost the team the victory, but he still deserves criticism. Tarring and feathering may be going too far.
maxlion
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:19 pm
I agree, especially with the bolded part.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Has anyone heard anything about the injury to Jevon Cottoy? His thigh was taped up and he was limping badly as he headed to the locker room after the game. He had another good performance through three quarters, with 4 catches on 4 targets for 30 yards, including 22 yards on his own after the catch. I love seeing him targeted on the wide side of the field between Burnham and Carter.

Rashaun Simonise replaced Cottoy and had his first catch of the season in the dying minutes but he wasn’t able to pick up any yards after the catch, and the Lions were forced to atempt a 50-yard field goal that was blocked.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Re: Odell it was interesting to watch him line up for a Montreal 3rd and 1 try thinking back to a couple games ago when they were flagged 4 or 5 times for lining up offside. He got to the line early and determined where that 1 yard back from the ball was. He put his hands down to where he would be onside then started hollering to the rest of the DL to see where his hands were and use them as the guideline to stay onside. That's showing leadership.
pennw
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:50 pm
He has a habit of putting his ego before his team. I think we saw this last night.
Could you provide a few more examples of this ?