Montreal vs. BC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vernon Adams suspended for the game against the Lions

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/23/cfl-suspe ... n-bighill/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I didn’t see the incident but when I heard about it I wondered if he would be suspended. We’ll see whether he appeals.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The video is in the story I believe.

It was egregious but fortunately he missed.

Adam Bighill wanted him ejected but I put out on Twitter that I felt the penalty and supplemental discipline was the way to go from there.

I guess he could pull a Simoni and appeal
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

They may just take their medicine this week. It's a non-divisional game in a place they have a hard time winning in any way. I suppose they could appeal (a la Simoni Lawrence) but there's no telling where the suspension will line up, if upheld. I am sure they don't want Adams missing a game against the Ti-Cats (10/26) should the appeal process take four weeks.

There is a precedence for helmet swinging (I think our own Ed Hervey once did it and was suspended). I can't see this being overturned. At least, I would be very surprised. The evidence is quite damning.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:55 pm
They may just take their medicine this week. It's a non-divisional game in a place they have a hard time winning in any way. I suppose they could appeal (a la Simoni Lawrence) but there's no telling where the suspension will line up, if upheld. I am sure they don't want Adams missing a game against the Ti-Cats (10/26) should the appeal process take four weeks.

There is a precedence for helmet swinging (I think our own Ed Hervey once did it and was suspended). I can't see this being overturned. At least, I would be very surprised. The evidence is quite damning.

I'm thinking that Adams could have got more than a one game suspension and probably the Als would rather that he serve it against a bottom dwelling team like the Lions who the Als can probably beat playing Pitkin, their backup.

Of course an appeal is up to Adams, not the Als, but I would guess that Adams is open to taking advise from his HC vs someone like his agent.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette, it appears that Adams will serve his suspension this week against the Lions. Matt Shiltz is taking first-team reps the the Als’ practice.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The Alouettes don't really have much say in any appeal other than to advise the player of their thoughts. It's up to the player, who stands to lose a game cheque, to make that decision. In the case of Adams he took some punishment in that game getting up very slowly on a couple of occasions. He may feel his body could do with the 1 game break.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Adams just apologized on video.
https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-alouettes-q ... -1.1370868
It's funny, a search also turned up his apology last year about the Manziel chants (getting to be a trend).
https://www.tsn.ca/als-qb-adams-sounds- ... -1.1150872
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Kicking this can down the road is not in the best interest of the Als.

Now, if BC wins and Ottawa beats Edmonton, the playoffs are suddenly not a total impossibility.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:00 pm
Adams just apologized on video.
https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-alouettes-q ... -1.1370868
It's funny, a search also turned up his apology last year about the Manziel chants (getting to be a trend).
https://www.tsn.ca/als-qb-adams-sounds- ... -1.1150872
Pretty classy move
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, this certainly is a turn of events that favours the Lions. Cue Antonio Pipkin. Shouldn't take him or the Als lightly. Pipkin has something to prove and was I believe their number 1 at the start of the season. If the Esks weren't playing Ottawa I might be getting a little adrenaline but the chances of the RedBlacks beating the Esks is pretty minimal. The Esks would have to have food poisoning for that to happen.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 pm
Now, if BC wins and Ottawa beats Edmonton, the playoffs are suddenly not a total impossibility.
An extreme possibility given what we've seen from Ottawa these past two weeks, even with Logan Kilgore behind centre.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I suspect Khari Jones was a factor in the decision not to appeal.

He was incensed at the outburst and his former Bomber REC Milt Stegall was saying things like that is not how Khari played and acted and he'd not accept that from his QB.

Granted I doubt he'd have won his appeal.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Listening to Vernon Adams, it did seem as though he regretted the incident. I believe he said he had already touched base with Biggie after the game to apologize for his conduct pre-league discipline. Nice to see an ugly event end with one person taking responsibility and not mincing words about culpability. Nice to to see the other party not overreact although he did tweet about it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For the first time this year, the Lions have made no changes to their roster for Saturday's game against Montreal. That's the benefit of being healthy and rolling on a two-game winning streak.

The Lions are in a lot better shape than the Als, who must deal with the one-game suspension of QB Vernon Adams, who led the Als to 4 wins in their past 5 games, and a hand injury to all-star DB Ciante Evans. Matt Shiltz will start at QB for the Als. Shiltz has thrown 2 TDs and 7 INTs in his 3-year career in Montreal, mostly as a backup.

Here's the Lions' depth chart and roster for the game.