B.C. Lions at Ottawa Sept. 21, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have made just a few tweaks to their roster for Saturday's rematch with the Redblacks in Ottawa, after beating the visitors 29-5 last week at B.C. Place.

On offence, John White returns as starting RB in place of Brandon Rutley, who moves to the 1-game injured list. Jamel Lyles moves ahead of Wayne Moore as White's backup on the depth chart. The offensive line of LT Joel Figueroa, LG Hunter Steward, C Phillip Norman, RG David Foucault and RT Justin Renfrow, which didn't give up a sack last week and has surrendered only 2 sacks since Kelly Bates took over as position coach, remains unchanged.

On defence, the Lions have made official the switch of Odell Willis to defensive tackle (3-tech), where he took a lot of snaps last week, registering a season-high 4 tackles. Willis is still looking for his 100th career sack. He has gone 8 games without a sack, the longest streak of his career. Jonathan Newsome starts at Willis's old defensive end position after generating good pressure last week and registering 2 tackles and a sack. Korey Toomer comes off the 1-game injured list as backup defensive end. DT Claudell Louis is demoted back to the practice roster.

Jonathon Jennings again starts at QB for the Redblacks after completing 19 of 31 passes for 239 yards and 2 interceptions last week. Jennings will have SB Brad Sinopoli back from injury this week, which should help Ottawa's passing attack. Sinopoli had 17 catches for 239 yards and 2 TDs in 2 games against the Lions last year.

Here's a game preview and depth chart, courtesy Matt Baker at bclions.com:

GAME PREVIEW | LIONS @ REDBLACKS
David
Team Captain

Interesting to see White back in at running back. He has been out with an injury (ankle if I recall). We have two dynamic running backs, I like them both.

I find White IV is the more slippery tailback of the two. Rutley tends to be more punishing and consistently gains 5-6 yards. White can make more guys miss and likely has higher top-end speed, so he can either be held for no gain or break one 20-30 yards. Both can catch out of the backfield, although I would give White the nod there. Rutley though is clearly a better blocker.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:59 pm
Interesting to see White back in at running back. He has been out with an injury (ankle if I recall). We have two dynamic running backs, I like them both.

I find White IV is the more slippery tailback of the two. Rutley tends to be more punishing and consistently gains 5-6 yards. White can make more guys miss and likely has higher top-end speed, so he can either be held for no gain or break one 20-30 yards. Both can catch out of the backfield, although I would give White the nod there. Rutley though is clearly a better blocker.

And Rutley being the better blocker I think he should be kept in , considering how much of a problem pass blocking has been for the team. Last week pass protection was good along with most of the offense , I don't understand why they would want to mess with it . It's not like Rutley is dramatically inferior to White as a RB . The whole of the offense is better when the pass blocking is good .
Hope BC is not over confident on account of last week's game .
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

pennw wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:31 pm
David wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:59 pm

And Rutley being the better blocker I think he should be kept in , considering how much of a problem pass blocking has been for the team. Last week pass protection was good along with most of the offense , I don't understand why they would want to mess with it . It's not like Rutley is dramatically inferior to White as a RB . The whole of the offense is better when the pass blocking is good .
Hope BC is not over confident on account of last week's game .
Agreed, about Rutley, who I also prefer because of White's blocking shortcomings, however according to Matt Baker's game preview (B.C.FAN provided the link) Rutley tweaked a quad during last week's game, and meanwhile White has healed from his ankle injury, so it seems a roster move dictated by the combination of these two factors. Otherwise I'd be scratching my head, given Rutley's game was apparently a career high (110 yards).
cms22
Starter

good content, thank you.

glad to see our OL has improved so much... i think and always thought we have alot of good experience talent and good canadian talent on offense and that it should do very well with the right coaching. (i am not throwing bryan chiu under the bus. i'm guessing they changed alot of stuff , including basic philosophy, with the new OL coach)

we really need a rework on the front 4......... the nfl values pass rush way beyond any else, other than QB. and we are a 3 down league. pass rush is almost everything on defense.

and i'm thinking LB's and DB's (especially) aren't that hard to find.

one HUGE complaint with Hervey's tenure is it seems like we have developed very little USA talent. it seems like that's a real strength for calgary. their best imports leave (except for QB), they just put new imports in and they are top players quite quickly.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With White playing RB, I would like to see a receiver replaced with a FB or extra O lineman lined up as a blocking tight end, at least on occasion.
cms22
Starter

i would like to see them throw in simonise as another canadian starting receiver.

i think that would make 4 starting canadian receiver. 2 OL (not the C)... a DT... that makes 7... so there is another canadian somewhere else. i'll have to check.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Simonese got some reps early in the season and for all intents played himself off the field and onto the bench with drops and poor route running.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 pm
With White playing RB, I would like to see a receiver replaced with a FB or extra O lineman lined up as a blocking tight end, at least on occasion.
Brett Boyko was used as a tight end on first downs last week. That was a factor in the improved running game and pass protection. Those reps would normally go to fullback David Mackie but he is injured and the Lions don’t seem to have much confidence in his replacement, rookie Mario Villamizar.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Red blacks running at will
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions hold on 3rd down
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Redblacks are running right at B.C.’s undersized defensive tackles Odell Willis (255 lbs.) and David Menard (259 lbs.). Madu and Mkrris had 7 carries for 50 yards in the first 9 plays before Jennings was stopped short on third down at the 4 yard line.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Spectacular catch by Shaq Johnson
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Touchdown by White. Totally untouched
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Beautiful 6 play, 84-yard TD drive featuring a 43-yard bomb to Shaq Johnson in double coverage. Reilly had lots of time to throw. 7-2 B.C.