Lions 29 Ottawa 5 Post Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Speaking of offence, can we just rip up that page in Jarious's playbook that calls for a draw play on 2nd and 15 or 20? I know it's coming, teams know it's coming....heck, even the Felions know it's coming, and it rarely gives us more than 4-5 yards, at best!

DH :cool:
Maybe they will now that the OL seems to be providing Reilly some actual time. Perhaps prior to the last 2 games the reason they ran draws was because picking up 5 to be 3rd and 10 was better than winding up 3rd and 25 after a sack? :wink:

On another note given it was billed as Diversity Night and the lead was secure late I was a bit disappointed they didn't give Richarte a few reps and maybe a target. It would have been fitting. So far I don't think he or Alvarez have taken a rep. They seem to only be used to play catch with the QBs while the defense is on the field.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anyone else heard Jarius Jackson yelling " We won, mother**kers" with a few minutes left on the radio broadcast ? :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sometimes, when you run a draw play on 2nd and 15, it's just a surrender so you can get some space to try and gain some advantage for the field position game.

Not too many thoughts on this one but:

It's hard when you're offensive coordinator bails immediately prior to the start of the season. In the battle of the resistible force (Joe Paopao's offense) versus the movable object (Rich Stubler's defense) it turns out the movable object prevailed.

I mean, honestly, the TJ Lee interception for a TD (which I would love a highlight of if anyone has it) should tell you how well prepared this team was both for the offense and for Jennings who, I have to be honest here, looks finished, professionally. It's nice, for once, to get the better end of the 'being prepared for predictability' battle.

We miss entirely too many tackles, and Special Teams is still poor overall.

The more I see of this offense, the more ill fitting I think Reilly is in it. It's evident to me in the delivery of his deep balls; they have an arc to them that makes them susceptible to being picked off (dbs have enough time to get a read on them). At this point, I still think the solution that best utilizes his delivery are more intermediate routes with pre-snap disguise motion.

It occurred to me last night that this is an offense Jarious Jackson the OC designed around the strength of Jarious Jackson, the quarterback. And if JJ the OC had JJ the QB, it would be great. Except he doesn't, he has someone out of the Dave Dickenson mold who doesn't have the ability to throw deep outs on a rope consistently.
cms22
Starter

good game.... of course, you could say we found a team worse than us :)

no one wanted us to finish 1-17 as it might kill the franchise. but if we finish 5-13 (50% win % rest of way) i wonder if it might give hervey confidence in his plan and progress.

i think hervey's stewardship has been awful....... i could go on and on with this... basically, it would nicer if 1) we were losing with young, developing players, 2) we hadn't had to fix our pass rush with a trade for a player we let go in off-season
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Some observations of a different kind:

Good game for the training/medical staffs of both clubs. Ottawa probably really needed it given their long list of wounded. If I recall properly BC's staff had to come onto the field only twice; once for TJ Lee and once for Newsome. Both returned a few plays later. I don't recall Ottawa's staff having to make an appearance. :thup:

BC Penalties:
The Good:
OL holding - 0 :thup:
DPI - 0 :thup:
Illegal Contact - 0 :thup:
No Yards - 0 :thup:
Holding or Illegal Block on Special Teams - 0 :thup:

The Bad. These will happen. Main thing is that they were kept to a minimum. If there are 2 or more of each they move to The Ugly:
Offensive Offside - 1 (The kid, Cottoy)
Procedure - 1 (Norman was late with the snap)
Time Count - 1
Illegal Block Offence - 1 (Durant on Rutley run)

The Ugly:
DL offside - 4 :thdn: :thdn: 1 more was declined.
Undisciplined (UR) - 1 :thdn: This one was against Figueroa and turned what would have been an easily convertible 2nd and 1 at Ottawa 19 into a 2nd and 16 upon which Reilly threw a pick trying to get 1st down.

Overall though a good disciplined performance. Final totals 9 penalties for 55 yards with only 2 flags costing more than 5 yards.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:30 am
I mean, honestly, the TJ Lee interception for a TD (which I would love a highlight of if anyone has it) should tell you how well prepared this team was both for the offense and for Jennings who, I have to be honest here, looks finished, professionally. It's nice, for once, to get the better end of the 'being prepared for predictability' battle.
Agreed. I have been critical of the club's preparation all season but from the outset, you could see they had studied Ottawa's tendencies (not the hardest thing to do).

Jonothan likes to attack the edges, and hit his checkdowns so we had our defensive linemen put their arms up to deflect his passes. He's certainly not the tallest guy so we swatted a few on Friday. He also tends to telegraph his throws and lock in on his receivers. TJ jumped the route perfectly. I wonder what adjustments Ottawa will make on Saturday? Perhaps roll him out more?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

I attended practice Wednesday. Interesting session and developments but I can't post it here.

DM me if you are interested in a breakdown.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 pm
I attended practice Wednesday. Interesting session and developments but I can't post it here.

DM me if you are interested in a breakdown.

Post it on Scouts Room
David
Team Captain

Not sure how many folks have access to it.

Roar, You Lions, Roar