Lions 29 Ottawa 5 Post Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions finally win their first home game of the season. Some thoughts:

- Offensive line didn't surrender a sack. For the most part, Reilly was untouched all night.

- 95 yards receiving for Bryan Burnham, moving him to approx. 60 yards of 1000 yards for the season

- Rutley had 111 yards rushing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Game balls. Nice to see a pride of happy Lions

https://www.bclions.com/2019/09/13/bc-lions-game-balls/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I was impressed with the play of the O-line. The run blocking was crisp and sophisticated, Reilly had all day to find his second and third receivers and everyone seemed to be on the same page except when Norman forgot the snap court.

Duron Carter has been almost invisible for most of the year but I focused on him on two plays, expecting the Lions to try to target him deep and they did both times. The first time he ran a stop and a made a nice catch in the end zone, surviving contact for his first TD of the year. He almost had his second TD when He got open deep in man coverage on the back side with no safety help but the pass just went of his fingertips. He had just 2 catches for 28 yards but at least he showed some of the playmaking ability that the Lions have been looking for all year. The play of the O line was a big factor in giving Reilly the time needed to go deep.

I also focused on Jevon Cottoy on several plays, including the two deep patterns where he got behind coverage. On the first play, Reilly failed to notice Carter running to the same area, with two defenders around him. The ball was easily intercepted by DeAndre Farris. On the second play, in the third quarter, there was no help over top and Cottoy hauled it in for a 30-yard gain, his longest of the year. He added a 25-yard reception on the same drive to help set up the Lions’s final touchdown. Cottoy has done a great job all year away from the ball, blocking for the run, reading the blitz, chipping pass rushers and running clearing routes for other receivers. It’s nice to see him finally being used as a primary receiver.

On defence, the front 7 played with a lot of energy and had one of its better games of the year. Jonathan Newsome was strong as an edge rusher, Odell Willis made some good plays against the run when he moved inside to the 3-tech position, Shawn Lemon had 2 sacks and linebackers Isaiah Guzylak-Mesam and Maleki Harris showed a lot of energy. Ottawa played as badly as most people expected but the Lions can build off this victory.
David
Team Captain

I have long maintained that the Leos have the talent to compete with any club in the league. Hard for some to believe that with a 1-10 record, but I put most of our miserable results down to poor preparation, adaptation, and innovation. We are finally seeing things turn for this club. Hopefully, they will now start believing in themselves.

Yes, the victory came against an injury-depleted Redblacks team that wasn't particularly deep in talent to begin with, but it was a thoroughly convincing win nonetheless. Interesting to hear players heap praise on Kelly Bates in the post-game podcast (they gave him a game ball). Fig said he's gone back to fundamentals which have even benefited the vets. Rutley said Bates is all about "details." Everyone knows who they're supposed to be blocking and communication has improved. Sorry things didn't work for Chiu. I like to think he just wasn't the right fit for this group as opposed to being a poor coach.

Far from a sound performance (think how many points we left on the field due to penalties and execution - from TJ's nullified Pick Six to the ball that sailed through a diving Duron Carter's fingertips), but a great team win that featured some outstanding performances. Nice to see that this club hasn't quit on the coach or each other!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A win is always good for a team and the Lions are moving in the right direction.

DEF:

The lack of a real leader on the DEF shows.
Someone in the middle like a Sol E who can spot the OFFSIDE line up like the Lemon one that took TJ Lee's TD off the board. These basically dead ball fouls are inexcusable and will contribute to losing most games. There has to be a zero tolerance policy for lining up offside.

Lots of overrunning plays on DEF even though the same guy got lots of tackles.

There are still personnel issues and the PR has some players who may or not be in the line up but none of those guys look like the Sol E/Bighill leader.

ST:

Practicing for the OTT fake punt yet missing it. Luckily 45 was ineligible due to a technicality but he was eligible REC based on where he lined up. Just not listed right like not putting a team member on the line up card.

OFF:

Feel bad for Chiu now that they're running the ball.

Good for Kelly Bates that he's been able to settle those guys more and actually look like an OLine with cohesion.

Suits needs to update:

Glen Suitor needs to update his understanding of BC's offence. Mentioned on the INT that there must be confusion in routes as two Receivers were in the same area. This guy lives on the west coast and if he only went to a lions practice as does Guilio and Janower and not sure who else, he'd grasp that the Lions schemes do just that and routes are layered - not that I think the Lions are great in schemes as I don't.

The route structures open it up more for Burnham as well.

When they run some pass plays with a dump off to the RB every REC floods right or left leaving only an outlet on the same side versus able to catch them on the backside.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The DL offsides were inexcusable. On the last one Proulx couldn't even pick out a guilty party. He announced it as the DL being lined up in the neutral zone. I sit on the 45. Can't remember exactly where Ottawa scrimmaged from. I think maybe 43? From my seat in Row R I could see they were lined up offside FFS and knew a flag would be coming momentarily.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:26 pm
The DL offsides were inexcusable. On the last one Proulx couldn't even pick out a guilty party. He announced it as the DL being lined up in the neutral zone. I sit on the 45. Can't remember exactly where Ottawa scrimmaged from. I think maybe 43? From my seat in Row R I could see they were lined up offside FFS and knew a flag would be coming momentarily.
No excuse for the whole line lining up offside.
dirty
prospect

a little miffed that coach would show up for the post game interview wearing a NY Yankees ballcap.
David
Team Captain

A little odd to sport that at the post-game presser but he was wearing a BC Lions lapel pin on his jacket and is always dressed head-to-to-toe in black and orange on the sidelines.

He has family in town. Perhaps they gave it to him as a present.

I have to say I am a little disappointed in people on social media. Who cares how he wears his hat? I care much more about how his players relate to him that his fashion choices.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm glad they finally won a game. I hope it is the start of better things but being the glass half empty kind of guy I am, after watching the other games on Saturday, I still have a very hard time seeing this team is being competitive with more complete opposition. They really need to work on Reilly getting rid of the ball sooner. He just hangs in their way too long and any competent DLine is going to make him pay for that. Completing the long ball looks pretty but over reliance on it doesn't win games. A complete and balanced attack does and when Reilly hangs on to the ball the way he does, he fairly screams "I'm going deep".
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am encouraged by the O potential for next year and really hope whoever doesn't start tearing it apart to start over next year.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:34 pm
I am encouraged by the O potential for next year and really hope whoever doesn't start tearing it apart to start over next year.
although I wouldn't mind exchange Carter for one the the ex eskimos down south
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:34 pm
although I wouldn't mind exchanging Carter for one of the ex eskimos down south
oops
aklawitter
All Star

holy crap we won a game and looked good doing it
David
Team Captain

Given the lack of production from our wide receivers, I am shocked that we've gone with the same group all year. Burnham, Durant, and Cottoy have had good years ("great" in the case of Burnham). But I would love to see Shaq moved around a lot more. Sticking him at field side receiver and hardly ever throwing to him does not take advantage of his great speed. I might experiment switching up Shaq and Duron with Shaq playing the boundary receiver spot and Duron going up against corners who aren't quite as talented.

Speaking of offence, can we just rip up that page in Jarious's playbook that calls for a draw play on 2nd and 15 or 20? I know it's coming, teams know it's coming....heck, even the Felions know it's coming, and it rarely gives us more than 4-5 yards, at best!

Also, why, oh why when our running back is shredding defences for big gains (as was the case with Brandon Rutley on Friday) do we refuse to go play-action and freeze defenders??

Roar, You Lions, Roar