Mike Reilly

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

yukonlion
All Star

yeah, i love our away unis, but hate those orange home pants, go black or white, or grey like in the 70s....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:51 pm
Reilly is not the problem, but his contract will make it almost impossible to fix the problems elsewhere. Hervey is not going to cut Reilly and it's unlikely anyone trades for him. So I expect Hervey will spend a bit more on O-line and go cheap on receivers hoping that with better protection Reilly can turn average receivers into good ones.
How much more can he spend on the OL? Figueroa isn't cheap and he just signed Chungh to be the highest paid OL in the CFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

No offence James, but your trade proposal is ridiculous. Even if Winnipeg was interested, there is no way ever that Winnipeg would trade every draft pick for the next 10 years to BC and an OL. Are you really serious or was that a mistake? There are 6 or 7 picks per draft and 10 years worth of them would make over 60 picks and the Bombers would laugh in Hervey's face if he asked for that. And Bombers don't need Reilly. They are doing quite well with their quarterbacks and even if they wanted Reilly they could not afford him and would have to cut or trade 2 or 3 really good players to make room for him.

One team that may be interested is Toronto. They are a big market who would love to have a big name QB.
I think he was being a bit facetious. Would Winnipeg be interested? Not this season. Maybe next as I'm not sure that either Nicholls or Streveler are under contract. Regardless who would they have to jettison to fit Reilly's stipend into their SMS? Probably would have to start with Harris and Bighill. I see the Argos as the only team that might be in the market to take on such a salary given they tried to land Mitchell with a more lucrative deal than Reilly signed.

It's also 2019, not 1979. Cap space is an asset of significant value in trades today. If you're the team dumping salary it erodes any player value you can expect in return. Conversely a team taking on a significant cap hit is not going to do so if they have to give up any player or draft picks of significance. Heck in the NHL we often see teams now trying to dump salary toss in draft picks or prospects to get somebody interested in taking on the big salary. Toss out the player with the big ticket salary being dumped and look at the other assets in the trade and quite often the team taking on that salary also gets the better of the other assets in the deal.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am still hoping for Reilly to come out on top here. If I had to see him go somewhere else, I would hope Ottawa
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 am
I am still hoping for Reilly to come out on top here. If I had to see him go somewhere else, I would hope Ottawa
There's such a multitude of different issues, and not all player personnel, on both sides of the ball plus special teams that it's impossible to hang everything on one player. Reilly stands a far better chance of being a key to the solution by staying than going.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 am
There's such a multitude of different issues, and not all player personnel, on both sides of the ball plus special teams that it's impossible to hang everything on one player. Reilly stands a far better chance of being a key to the solution by staying than going.
Exactly....
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cms22
Starter

i could not agree with OP more.

mike reilly will not be a top QB (if he even is now) by the time the lions are a good team.

i question whether mike reilly is a top QB today, stats notwithstanding. would people really describe tom brady or patrick mahomes as a top NFL QB if their teams were 2-10. i think people are far too easy on Reilly here.

2 hard-core eskimo fans i know told me BEFORE THE SEASON that reilly is over-the-hill and the lions got fleeced signing him to that contract.

team needs a huge culture change..... reilly, carter, willis gone would be huge first step.

new CFL starting QB's have been amazing the last few years. not sure why that is as my sense is they were horrible historically......... let's go young, and quick, mobile QB. reilly is a good runner, but not quick and elusive

only thing i'm unsure of is how much you'd save by cutting him. i know it'd only be 2020 and beyond. but no idea how much of reilly's contract was/is signing bonus.

do people another team would gladly inherit reilly's contract (gaining nothing else like a draft pick)?... maybe they would but i'd say no
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

A JC Abbott piece -- with some IMO solid balanced thoughts on Mike Reilly (and nods to young nationals Isaiah Guzylak-Messam and Oshane Samuels). https://3downnation.com/2019/09/16/the- ... er-ottawa/
cms22
Starter

thanks. it's a good read........

i think one very optimistic sign is that we have good canadians.

given that 5 or 6 of the 7 canadians are usually OL or WR, i think we are in very good shape. we have 3 or 4 good canadian receivers. and that's not including simonise (i might have my count high by one). and enough good canadian oline talent, without including boyko

canadian tailbacks have been getting better and better so there's another position where you might be able to go canadian.

i think our one DL canadian position is quite well stock too.

find a canadian deep safety and we are laughing

now, the bigger problems are 1) offensive schemes, 2) lack of development/creativity in developing new american talent. seems like our front 7 will have to radically restructured.
The_Pauser
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:51 pm
Reilly is not the problem, but his contract will make it almost impossible to fix the problems elsewhere. Hervey is not going to cut Reilly and it's unlikely anyone trades for him. So I expect Hervey will spend a bit more on O-line and go cheap on receivers hoping that with better protection Reilly can turn average receivers into good ones.
Bo Levi Mitchell has the same contract yet Calgary seems fine. They also lost a ton of players this past offseason too.

Mike Reilly is not a problem, at all. Nor should his contract be used as an excuse for the Lions not being able to roster a good team. If Calgary can do it, so too should we.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:32 pm
A JC Abbott piece -- with some IMO solid balanced thoughts on Mike Reilly (and nods to young nationals Isaiah Guzylak-Messam and Oshane Samuels). https://3downnation.com/2019/09/16/the- ... er-ottawa/
That was a good read as usual from Abbott. He correctly notes Brandon Rutley’s advantage over John White as a blocker. Many of the sacks the Lions have surrendered this year were the result of White’s failure to pick up the blitz.

Brett Boyko also deserves a share of the credit for the Lions’ strong blocking this game. With fullback David Mackie on the injured list, Boyko took most of Mackie’s usual reps as a tight end on first down and in short yardage situations and helped open holes for Rutley and protect Mike Reilly.
David
Team Captain

I am laughing at suggestions of dealing Mike Reilly. He is exactly what this franchise needs. Start developing Grant Kraemer and any other quarterback you can find? Yes, because you never know when you will need them - look what happened to the Als post-Calvillo. But deal the future Hall-of-Famer? No! He is still among the Top 3 QBs in the league.

While I am glad we have him, love his leadership, and have witnessed lots if vintage Mike on display this season, there has also been ample evidence of him trying to do too much. For example, holding onto the ball longer in the hopes of a receiver getting open (thereby putting himself in harm's way and putting team in 2nd and long situation instead of throwing it away) or playing through noticeable injury which, while commendable, leaves himself susceptible to further injury and in the process, jeopardizes team success.

Primarily, this comes down to Mike's extreme competitiveness. But I also think part of him is hyper-aware of being the highest-paid player in the league and wants to "justify" the big contract (in his mind anyway) thereby over-compensating by trying to take on too much himself. While I would love Mike's contract to be $625K per annum, not $725K, he is far from the problem.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Bo Levi Mitchell has the same contract yet Calgary seems fine. They also lost a ton of players this past offseason too.

Mike Reilly is not a problem, at all. Nor should his contract be used as an excuse for the Lions not being able to roster a good team. If Calgary can do it, so too should we.
Calgary had all their other pieces in place before they gave BLM his big contract. Huffnagel didn't go scorched Earth on his defense and leadership guys just to sign BLM.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 pm
I am laughing at suggestions of dealing Mike Reilly. He is exactly what this franchise needs. Start developing Grant Kraemer and any other quarterback you can find? Yes, because you never know when you will need them - look what happened to the Als post-Calvillo. But deal the future Hall-of-Famer? No! He is still among the Top 3 QBs in the league.

While I am glad we have him, love his leadership, and have witnessed lots if vintage Mike on display this season, there has also been ample evidence of him trying to do too much. For example, holding onto the ball longer in the hopes of a receiver getting open (thereby putting himself in harm's way and putting team in 2nd and long situation instead of throwing it away) or playing through noticeable injury which, while commendable, leaves himself susceptible to further injury and in the process, jeopardizes team success.

Primarily, this comes down to Mike's extreme competitiveness. But I also think part of him is hyper-aware of being the highest-paid player in the league and wants to "justify" the big contract (in his mind anyway) thereby over-compensating by trying to take on too much himself. While I would love Mike's contract to be $625K per annum, not $725K, he is far from the problem.

DH :cool:
I actually wish we would dress Grant Kraemer and have him on the bench every game. In some of those games where the score has gotten out of hand it would be nice to get Kraemer some reps. I would also want to keep O'Brien dressed as well as he seems to do a good job as our FG holder.

Also, the coach has to be the coach and tell Reilly when he needs to sit.

With Reilly 34 years old, I don't see why we can't develop a QB like Kraemer while also rolling with Reilly as our number 1 and trying to exploit the strength of having one of the best QB's in the league.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:11 am

Calgary had all their other pieces in place before they gave BLM his big contract. Huffnagel didn't go scorched Earth on his defense and leadership guys just to sign BLM.
I still don't see how this makes Reilly a problem. The salary cap is still the same for both teams. The Lions just need to do a better job of filling out the rest of their team, and that includes recruitment, but neither has anything to do with Reilly.
Roar you Lions roar!