Lions at Montreal Sept. 6, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Not that I blame Carter specifically but he has been extremely ineffective. Might as well play some rookies to see what we may have there. He seldom seems to have any kind of separation on routes. He isn't that fast or that strong and that is really telling on a team that doesn't seem to have any one receiver that is the game breaker type.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Based on practice this week, I thought the defence would have played a lot better.

Nice run game to the point where in the second half on fake handoffs it was working. Bryan Chiu at home fired would be screaming at the TV - why the bleep didn't we run like this when I was the OL coach?

Jarius play calling in the 2nd Q was brutal. Notice no one in the booth with him. He needs to be forced to take other input.

OFF Structure is still not good. Go to practice and see it unfolds exactly as it did tonight:
> no deep balls to stretch the field.

> routes for carter develop slow - ie. the Safety blitz where he turns late - That is not his read to make as Suitor in the booth says.

That is how crappy this offence structure is. Notice how Als with a developing QB had players deep and crossing and open.

HC - love the guy but his message is piss poor.

LB/DB - only TJ Lee has the fire and most of the plays were opposite to him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions played a much better game, but in the end they were not good enough to win. The OL was way better tonight. But in the end Lions still are not good enough to win games and the defence could not stop the Als until it was too late. I will not be surprised if they end up 1 and 17.

Next game is against Ottawa and that is anyone's game, but no guarantee Lions will win.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 pm
Not that I blame Carter specifically but he has been extremely ineffective. Might as well play some rookies to see what we may have there. He seldom seems to have any kind of separation on routes. He isn't that fast or that strong and that is really telling on a team that doesn't seem to have any one receiver that is the game breaker type.
It's the structure. I'll say it over and over and over:

There's just too much stuff going at or near the line of scrimmage.

This means that for the entire DEF it's all right there in front of them - tight and you just have to play what's in front of you. It sucks watching their practices and this stuff gets called over and over.

Guilio Caravetta was noting that Chris Burns stated that the Lions are trying to get him the bakll in the flat to see if he can create something - but there's nothing there and a waste as they key off him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Reilly says it had to be dink and dunk.. NOOOOOO...

Reilly had too many plays where he was SLOW with the ball.

Overall line play was improved due to more running and that helps an OLINE. Problem was that they blew up with a 3 down rush near the end of the game.

Sadly the HC hasn't the right message for a team. He doesn't sound like he understands what it takes which is nuts as he's coached with a GC winner and perennial top of the division and CFL.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Chris Burns on TSN

"Was there an outstanding play by a linebacker tonight? "

Ans: No and it's question I ask every game both for D-line, LB and DBs.

"You let a prof'l QB sit back there like that - I'm surprised he didn't pass for 400 yds."

Reply: You bet. There's no pass rush and Odell is simply waste space. He's not the only one there.

34.5 min possession for BC and no TDs. OFF structure and play calling. Time for new voice in play calling.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lions finish 1 and 17, Claybrooks will be fired. No way he can be brought back if they finish that bad. They will have no choice, but to eat his last 2 years. Braley will not like it, but even he probably realizes it is getting more and more likely that he has to be fired. You cannot sell him if they cannot win and next 2 games are winnable, but I would not be surprised if they lose them both and Jennings will be motivated to beat his old team and stick it to Hervey.
Don Miller
Legend

Post game show is hard to listen to by this fan. Go Bombers (Ex Lions) play that banjo loud.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Don Miller wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 pm
Post game show is hard to listen to by this fan. Go Bombers (Ex Lions) play that banjo loud.
The James Bond talk is more interesting now
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Post game show better with Farhan than Brock. Brock adds nothing to the show, other than bad jokes. Farhan provides intelligent thought and insight. Where is he tonight?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Post game show better with Farhan than Brock. Brock adds nothing to the show, other than bad jokes. Farhan provides intelligent thought and insight. Where is he tonight?
Coaching high school football in New West.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Brock said some good things just now. Fans angry. Someone mentioned some coach from 1958 that I never heard of. Many calling this team the worst of all time. Though Lions played much better, how many of you really believed they could find some way to win. Close is better, but a loss is a loss and they are 1 and 10.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don Miller wrote:
Brook Ward is a total doofus. It's advertised as the Lions Post Game show and what does he and Chris Burns talk about........ who is your favourite James Bond. :bang: :bang:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm
X2 Miss Farhan
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Don Miller wrote:
Brook Ward is a total doofus. It's advertised as the Lions Post Game show and what does he and Chris Burns talk about........ who is your favourite James Bond. :bang: :bang:
Normally those digressions by the TSN announcers drive me crazy too. But last night, Brook Ward's James Bond stuff was a good diversion.....lol.

Chris Burns is normally all business and he's grown a lot in his analysis as he only does this part time.

On an unrelated note on commentators, I've not watched Rugby for years but tonight watched Canada vs USA with the US winning 20 -15 in a tough, hard nosed game that could (with one late game Canada exception) show footballers how to tackle. BLAKE PRICE was the announcer and I was impressed. He should do more sports.