Ed Hervey Extended???

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:14 pm
New owner(s) is likely to be more football fan than football insider so he may not even have his "man" for Team President or GM from the onset. The prudent move for a new owner would be to spend some time getting familiar with the current Lions staff, GM and players etc before making major changes. IMO Ed's job is safe for now.
Timing is unlikely to work anyways. Any major changes need to happen immediately after the season ends. Barring a miraculous turnaround by BC accompanied by the total collapse of a West Div rival that will be November 2nd. It would be touch and go to have the ownership keys turned over before February when free agency kicks in never mind by Grey Cup when a Team President needs to be compiling a short list should he fire the GM or the GM needs to be compiling a short list should he fire the HC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm
Hervey will make more guys scapegoats at end of the year. Chiu is just the first to be fired. I expect there to be at least 2 or 3 more to be fired. Maybe even Claybrooks whole staff and he returns with whole new staff. If same results next year, then Claybrooks is fired. But I can't see him fired with 2 years left on contract. But highly unlikely that his option will be exercised for a 4th year. I just don't see Lions making playoffs next year either. You can't tie up 1 million of a 5 million cap on just 2 players and expect to have enough talent to win.

Only way Claybrooks could be fired is if Jason Maas is fired and Hervey feels he is an upgrade on Claybrooks. I think Maas is in trouble and think Eskimos will be the cross over team and if they lose to Montreal, Maas could be fired and end up with Lions next year as either coach or OC.
about Maas, I so very much hope not..
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:42 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm
Hervey will make more guys scapegoats at end of the year. Chiu is just the first to be fired. I expect there to be at least 2 or 3 more to be fired. Maybe even Claybrooks whole staff and he returns with whole new staff. If same results next year, then Claybrooks is fired. But I can't see him fired with 2 years left on contract. But highly unlikely that his option will be exercised for a 4th year. I just don't see Lions making playoffs next year either. You can't tie up 1 million of a 5 million cap on just 2 players and expect to have enough talent to win.

Only way Claybrooks could be fired is if Jason Maas is fired and Hervey feels he is an upgrade on Claybrooks. I think Maas is in trouble and think Eskimos will be the cross over team and if they lose to Montreal, Maas could be fired and end up with Lions next year as either coach or OC.
about Maas, I so very much hope not..
I agree Maas is on the bubble right now. The Esks will almost certainly make the playoffs, thanks to BC, Ottawa, and Toronto, but they may not improve on their 9-9 record that left them out of the post season in 2018. What will probably be Maas's undoing is that Trevor Harris is on pace for a monster season of over 6,000 yards. Reilly racked up over 5,000 yards last year and they missed the playoffs. At some point you have to look at the coach when you get that kind of productivity year after year but it doesn't translate into wins.

I also agree that if Maas gets canned, Hervey will probably hire him to coach the Lions next season. Probably as OC to start but only a 3-game losing streak away from being promoted to HC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't think Maas' job is close to being in jeopardy as others think. He's still under contract for 2020 as is GM Brock Sunderland. If they go 3-4 the rest of the way they make the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years and he has a 40-32 career record. He has been transforming as a coach too. He seems much less volatile on the sidelines as he once was. Despite losing Reilly, the guy thought to be the 1A or 1B best QBS in the CFL, their offense seems better. And that's despite having their receiving corps gutted in the past 2 offseasons. Defense seems better this year, much better than the Benevides debacles of the previous years. What has been killing them this year has been red zone offense. If they can fix that they will be a force the rest of the way and into the playoffs.

I think there's better odds of Maas getting an extension this offseason than getting a pink slip. If he did get canned I think it would be the Vic Rapp scenario, Ackles moved on from him not because he thought he was a bad coach. He let him go because he felt the team wouldn't get to the next level under him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Jason Maas is at no risk and Hambone has basically said what I think.

It would be insanity to fire him as their HC and I suspect their GM has full confidence in him.

The Lions HC might be the only one on the bubble this season but even that is unlikely give the contract length and the turnover in the team by the GM. History for Ed Hervey is repeating itself it seems and Braley is not one to fire a HC without a natural replacement. Can't see Ed Hervey taking over as HC as he's shrewd enough to know that doesn't work out well for job longevity.

At season's end I could see assistants leaving: Rich Stubler and one or more DEF coaches maybe go and DeVone takes on DC which basically I think is happening now. ST coach could be gone and Jarius too.

It is probably unlikely that either Jim Popp or Cory Chamblin is at risk either.

It's unimaginable to think that short term looking hires like Craig Dickenson and Khari Jones won't be back as HC's either.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Not only will Khari Jones be back as HC, he is going to be in the conversation for coach of the year.

I like what I see in Toronto the last few weeks in terms of effort and enthusiasm. It's almost 180 degrees from BC despite having the same record. Chamblin definitely deserves to be back next year. Popp is a different story. Trading for a concussed QB who may not even practice this season doesn't look good on him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:25 am
Not only will Khari Jones be back as HC, he is going to be in the conversation for coach of the year.

I like what I see in Toronto the last few weeks in terms of effort and enthusiasm. It's almost 180 degrees from BC despite having the same record. Chamblin definitely deserves to be back next year. Popp is a different story. Trading for a concussed QB who may not even practice this season doesn't look good on him.

That was a weird trade for Collaros which Popp suggests as being "risk-reward" based. Risky but if he can play he's talented.

But BCL is right on coach of the year possibilities for Jones and how dumb it was to trade for Collaros.

Popp should be okay as there's no value in tossing a GM for one trade and the slower start.

Quite frankly Toronto still has QB consistency issues and the best backup in the CFL is Nick Arbuckle in Calgary but getting him might be a challenge depending on his status.

To me it seems that James Franklin not really playing behind Reilly in EDMTN shows every time he steps on the field and he's not dissimilar to Jonathan Jennings in inconsistency.

The QB I feel most badly for is Grant Kraemer of BC who gets little to nothing in development other than the proverbial 'watch and learn'.

I used to take in practices back 2005 to 2007 during the Dickenson, Printers, Jackson and Pierce days with Kruck as QB coach and there was always something going on for all QBs. Mind you, there were injuries at QB and in '05 it was a lost season for Jarius.

Even no. 2 Danny O'Brien gets more pretending time mirroring Mike Reilly at practice and in his mind making the toss and moving his arm at the same as Mike releases.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I really disagree with teams that put all the weight on just one QB. Injuries can and do happen all the time and to have so much just riding on one person while the supposed backup gets nothing in game time is short sighted and stupid. Imagine where the Stamps would be without the use of a good backup, or the Cats, or the Bombers. We are just a team without a compass and vision.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:21 pm
I really disagree with teams that put all the weight on just one QB. Injuries can and do happen all the time and to have so much just riding on one person while the supposed backup gets nothing in game time is short sighted and stupid. Imagine where the Stamps would be without the use of a good backup, or the Cats, or the Bombers. We are just a team without a compass and vision.
Yes, although our no 2 is not a short yardage guy and the 3rd QB doesn't get a sniff in practice.

You'll not develop a QB in BC with Mike R at QB. Given how the GM decimated this team of leadership this QB is the wrong guy for their situation. You need someone who can run like Fajardo who can come in. lol
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sure wish the Lions could find a guy like Fajardo
Every day that passes is one you can't get back