Ed Hervey Extended???

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

The rumours out there is that Hervey has been extended by Braley but no official announcement yet. Probably with the team at 1 and 9, the timing of an announcement would not be good now for team's record so poor and extension news may not go over well in this market, so they waiting till the end of the season.

If rumours are true what does this mean for the franchise? It means likely Claybrooks will be back, but Hervey will decide the fate of his assistants, for it was his call, not Claybrooks to fire Chiu. Only way Claybrooks could be fired is if Lions finish 3 and 15 or worse and you would have to think Lions should be able to beat Argos and Redblacks at home and maybe Montreal too at home and Ottawa on the road. But the last 2 will not be easy.

Does Hervey deserve to be extended now? I personally say no, but maybe Braley wants stability and probably only entended him 1 more year. I do not think 2 would be wise, for if Claybrooks is back next season and Lions bad again, Claybrooks will be fired mid season no doubt and Hervey should be turfed too.

I think rumours are true. Just my gut feeling.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bad news for Lion fans. How can anyone in good conscience justify extending someone with a 1-9 record ? How will this affect Braley's selling the club ? If the rumour is true, this would suggest to me that Braley is not as interested in selling the club as what Lacheuleur is saying.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ed Willis indicated he has been extended, but Hervey would not comment on it.
The_Pauser
Legend

I’m okay with giving Hervey one more year to figure things out. I would like to see less reliance on former mediocre Eskimos. I will give him credit that he hasn’t just sat by idly and has gone out and made changes. Let’s see what he can do with this.
Roar you Lions roar!
dtrain
Starter

I agree with giving Hervey a one year extension, I'm really curious to see if he can turn it around. Hopefully a year from now we're all having a completely different discussion, this season has truly sucked so far.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

dtrain wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:46 am
I agree with giving Hervey a one year extension, I'm really curious to see if he can turn it around. Hopefully a year from now we're all having a completely different discussion, this season has truly sucked so far.
The way Ed gutted the team there is no way to have instant success and firing Ed and hiring another GM would just be starting over.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Based on those referencing 1-9 some seem to be assuming if he has indeed been extended that it happened just this week. He very well could have been extended months ago, perhaps before the season began. Personally I had felt it strange that he would not have been extended prior to the season beginning. Not doing so would leave him operating as a lame duck GM this year. Interesting of note is that his demise in Edmonton came when he and Rhodes were unable to come to an agreement to an extension when he was entering the final year of his contract there.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yah an extension could have been far earlier than recently.

The Braley way is to let his management staff who get them into difficulties stick around and clean up the mess rather than risk lengthy instability.

What is bad with BC Lions as an organization is that it's only Travis Lulay speaking where normally it'd be the GM.

Like what Wally Buono said or not - he never hid from the media and always had his clear views on issues in the team - even if fans saw it differently.

Ed is a lonely figure at practices and you don't see him being interviewed and media aren't present like the days of Ulrich and Beamer.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am
Ed is a lonely figure at practices and you don't see him being interviewed and media aren't present like the days of Ulrich and Beamer.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1359956
Hervey interview yesterday with the Moj and Jon Abbott. He doesn't have the best manner for interviews, but I suspect that would be the same if the team was 9-1. It sounds like it's chore for him. (Not being accessible was one of the excuses trotted out by EDM in letting him go).
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Hervey signed an extension for 1 year I don't think that would be a deal breaker in Braley selling the team. But 2 years may be. The new owners could always fire him halfway through his final year like Montreal did with Kavis Reed.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

New owner(s) is likely to be more football fan than football insider so he may not even have his "man" for Team President or GM from the onset. The prudent move for a new owner would be to spend some time getting familiar with the current Lions staff, GM and players etc before making major changes. IMO Ed's job is safe for now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ed Hervey in taking zero responsibility for the OLine situation in a 3 Down story.

He's on the Hughes field day and why Chiu did nothing. I put that on the OC for not changing the mix of plays that let him in the backfield to find the play long gone and for not playing a FB on Hughes to get him out of the play.

Hervey's not one to look at how he changed the mix in this team.

https://3downnation.com/2019/09/04/ed-h ... this-game/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:38 pm
Ed Hervey in taking zero responsibility for the OLine situation in a 3 Down story.

He's on the Hughes field day and why Chiu did nothing. I put that on the OC for not changing the mix of plays that let him in the backfield to find the play long gone and for not playing a FB on Hughes to get him out of the play.

Hervey's not one to look at how he changed the mix in this team.

https://3downnation.com/2019/09/04/ed-h ... this-game/
I thought the same thing. Ed claimed that Chiu, the D line coach, left Foucault "on an Island" against Hughes, but it is Jackson, the OC, that was not deploying a RB or FB or TE to help block Hughes. So Chiu is the scapegoat.

OTOH Chiu as a former all star centre couldn't seem to be able to coach up one of the 4 guys that have played centre this season. :dizzy:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Canucks: We just extended the contract of our GM even though we haven't made the playoffs for 3 straight years!

Lions: Hold our beer.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Hervey will make more guys scapegoats at end of the year. Chiu is just the first to be fired. I expect there to be at least 2 or 3 more to be fired. Maybe even Claybrooks whole staff and he returns with whole new staff. If same results next year, then Claybrooks is fired. But I can't see him fired with 2 years left on contract. But highly unlikely that his option will be exercised for a 4th year. I just don't see Lions making playoffs next year either. You can't tie up 1 million of a 5 million cap on just 2 players and expect to have enough talent to win.

Only way Claybrooks could be fired is if Jason Maas is fired and Hervey feels he is an upgrade on Claybrooks. I think Maas is in trouble and think Eskimos will be the cross over team and if they lose to Montreal, Maas could be fired and end up with Lions next year as either coach or OC.