Why Province Prints Letters from Ignorant People about Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

The province printed this letter today as if this guy is the voice of the common people. This guy does not know what he is talking about. Thoughts on this letter and why province bothered to print it:

I am getting tired of people asking why there isn't more support for the B.C. Lions," writes Doug Saunders

I am getting tired of people asking why there isn’t more support for the B.C. Lions. The Canadian Football League itself is just one or two teams away from folding.

The Lions have one win and nine losses this season in a city that wants winners. When the Canucks were good, there was a waiting list for season tickets and attendance records were set, even though they never won the Cup.

The big issue with the Lions is the fact that the CFL game is a poor version of football. You can spend your money on junior hockey or lacrosse, or even go watch Superweek cycling for free and get way better sporting value.

It is hard to call the CFL a professional sport when many people with regular jobs earn more than the league average. The CFL doesn’t publish salaries out of sheer embarrassment. Most of these players need second jobs. I would be OK if this semi-pro sport folded.

Doug Saunders, Surrey
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This letter is from a CFL hater and is full of false statements to support his weak argument. Why can't the province print a letter from a real CFL fan than a hater as if his word is the gospel. It is garbage and it makes me so mad.
maxlion
Legend

I am going to write a letter about how I don't like broccoli. I hope the Province prints it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:03 pm
This letter is from a CFL hater and is full of false statements to support his weak argument. Why can't the province print a letter from a real CFL fan than a hater as if his word is the gospel. It is garbage and it makes me so mad.
Write a letter. Contribute to the debate. Not many local people write letters to the editor. This is a good opportunity for CFL fans to speak up.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:25 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Write a letter. Contribute to the debate. Not many local people write letters to the editor. This is a good opportunity for CFL fans to speak up.
I wrote a reply in the comments section about this letter. That is enough.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:45 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
JohnnyMusso wrote:
That’s why most people don’t write letters to the editor. It’s easier to make an online comment that may only be seen by a few people.
David
Team Captain

You almost have to question the motives when there is that much hate and so many errors. Possibly snubbed by the club for a job application? Ex-girlfriend dating a player? Maybe a Whitecaps fan?

At least, I hope there is something behind it. Otherwise, I am not sure what kind of life this person must have in order to take the time and effort to spew such bile in Letters to the Editor.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Newspaper reporters are among the laziest people in the world, so if you write the story for them, then they will print it regardless of content. And if it sparks some controversy, then all the better.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Yes, these letters were printed in an article, not the letters section. They hand picked 3 or 4 letters on various topics.

I am not going to write a letter to province for have no time or interest in doing so and it may not even be printed. Best to move on and forget about it. Not worth getting all riled up about for more than a few hours. It is just more kicking the dying horse that is our Lions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:58 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

That’s why most people don’t write letters to the editor. It’s easier to make an online comment that may only be seen by a few people.
And to find those comments you usually have to weed through the jerks who spam the section to say how they are earning thousands of dollars working from home.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lui05
Rookie

JohnnyMusso wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Respectfully, I'm going to have to disagree. Despite the pain of the current season for Lions fans, you are clearly a passionate CFL fan irritated by the false narrative being given a voice. The audience you're trying to reach isn't here. Here, you're just preaching to the choir - even the trolls have some sort of interest to even bother showing up. Only in the printed media are you going to reach those who read the original letter.
You don't have to actually get out a typewriter, envelope and stamp. They'll take submissions by email here: provletters@theprovince.com
I recommend everybody who cares write them to rebut that letter. We won't all get printed and as JohnnyMusso points out, there's no guarantee his would get printed if he's alone. But if they receive 15 letters in response, I bet one of us gets printed.
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The good news is that - at least they're talking the Lions.

I find it crazy that local talk radio fixate so much on hockey and the NFL and anything but the local BC Lions other than the short segments.

The Lions need to do more on their own - and I see Matt Baker does the clips with players post practice and that is good stuff.

New ownership might want to beef up the social media and link it to their marketing strategies. There is so much good the CFL does that they too need to take a bigger role in getting this stuff out.

Today social media dominates and short messaging versus websites where fans have to find it are for those of us home with time on our hands or the very serious fans that work but love to discuss the ins and outs.

The other good news is that the CFL is watched big time on TSN.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Kamloops Lion
All Star

DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:25 am
Newspaper reporters are among the laziest people in the world, so if you write the story for them, then they will print it regardless of content. And if it sparks some controversy, then all the better.
DanoT: One of the most ignorant comments on this board.
I was a newspaper reporter for 13 years and, since 2005, have been a newspaper editor.
In those 27 years, working alongside and with too many reporters to count, I can assure you newspaper reporters are anything but lazy.
It has been, and continues to be, a passion job, one that does not pay nearly enough for the hours worked. Your response is embarrassing in that you have no clue what separates a news article from a letter to the editor. Nor do you likely have any way to determine the difference between an opinion column and a paid advertisement.
You'd be wise to do some research before posting such embarrassing words on this site.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Kamloops Lion wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:31 pm
DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:25 am
DanoT: One of the most ignorant comments on this board.
I was a newspaper reporter for 13 years and, since 2005, have been a newspaper editor.
In those 27 years, working alongside and with too many reporters to count, I can assure you newspaper reporters are anything but lazy.
It has been, and continues to be, a passion job, one that does not pay nearly enough for the hours worked. Your response is embarrassing in that you have no clue what separates a news article from a letter to the editor. Nor do you likely have any way to determine the difference between an opinion column and a paid advertisement.
You'd be wise to do some research before posting such embarrassing words on this site.
As a former forestry worker and past chairman of a pro multi forest use group, I have had several encounters with environmental journalists/reporters who like nothing better than having an forest preservationist group write a story for them.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dano... it's too much of a generalization to make the claim that journalists are somehow lazy. There are situations where a group putting out a proper media release get it in the papers or on a website. That's how it 's done for groups, businesses, etc.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy